Sponsored by:

Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 08:27 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice please.

Only new to owning a Scooby,so need some advice from the pro's on this site. I've got an 05 WRX its had a dump-valve and a full exhaust system fitted and thats about it,but after a few months i now feel i need/want more power. So where would YOU go from here? ppp or get an sti???(cant afford to do both) And where would be the best place to go?
Old 29 June 2007, 08:52 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that name, had it on the back of my M.G. Maestro(My M.G. is the dogs bollocks) And got told by plod that it is offensive
Cheers
Colin
Old 29 June 2007, 08:54 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

PPP and a re-map
Old 29 June 2007, 09:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You need to find out if the zorst is a good one, and when you say "full" does it include the up-pipe and down-pipe ? I suspect if it isn't a PPP'd car that it will just have had a DP back with a decat/deres centre and free-flowing BB. If so you could add an up-pipe, as the OE unit has a restrictive pre-cat. The DP also has a cat and this can be replaced with a full decat (which will fail MOT and roadside tests if there is no centre cat either) or a high flow sports-cat DP. Remap around these items with a Green panel filter and Samco I/C hose and you may achieve 280bhp. To get much more than this on a WRX will take much more money as many of the components are getting to their limits. The fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, turbo etc etc. This is when the STi starts to make more sense.

You could however stick with the WRX at 280ish and mod the handling to make it faster than most STi's. That's what I did (click to "view my scooby"). Remember, power is nothing without control. Most big power cars see the driver reigning in the power and trying to correct it all the time. A 280bhp WRX with a good chassis/suspension set-up has a superb balance of power and handling, leaving the driver free to just drive, in full control. There weren't many could keep up with me on a charge

BTW, ditch the dump valve It adds nothing to the power, could reduce power and damage the car, and sounds silly
Old 29 June 2007, 10:42 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You need to find out if the zorst is a good one, and when you say "full" does it include the up-pipe and down-pipe ? I suspect if it isn't a PPP'd car that it will just have had a DP back with a decat/deres centre and free-flowing BB. If so you could add an up-pipe, as the OE unit has a restrictive pre-cat. The DP also has a cat and this can be replaced with a full decat (which will fail MOT and roadside tests if there is no centre cat either) or a high flow sports-cat DP. Remap around these items with a Green panel filter and Samco I/C hose and you may achieve 280bhp. To get much more than this on a WRX will take much more money as many of the components are getting to their limits. The fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, turbo etc etc. This is when the STi starts to make more sense.

You could however stick with the WRX at 280ish and mod the handling to make it faster than most STi's. That's what I did (click to "view my scooby"). Remember, power is nothing without control. Most big power cars see the driver reigning in the power and trying to correct it all the time. A 280bhp WRX with a good chassis/suspension set-up has a superb balance of power and handling, leaving the driver free to just drive, in full control. There weren't many could keep up with me on a charge

BTW, ditch the dump valve It adds nothing to the power, could reduce power and damage the car, and sounds silly

Cheers for the advice,dump valve was already on the car (do like the sound though,but thats me)so not sure what to do with it yet. Not even thought about the chassis/suspension because it handles very well. I do need all the advice i can get because im a complete novice at all of this.This is the first chance i've ever really had of spending money on a car.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As a novice you think it handles well, but trust me, it can be way, way better. Just the rear ARB and some solid droplinks improves things, but if you were to take it to the level mine was at you start to see 3 figure cornering speeds with no understeer or tyre squeal. IMHO the best way to make a Scoob fast is to mod the handling so you can use the already adequate power. Modding the driver also helps. I was tutored in Roadcraft by a Police pursuit driver, and have since become a qualified instructor. As such I now keep up with my fellow Scoob owners whilst driving a Skoda diesel
Old 29 June 2007, 11:16 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Source some decent second hand parts off hear to assist in the power dept, then the remap.

The geezer above constantly claims his WRX was faster due to handling, bla bla, bla, however thats if you wants to drive round cornners at silly speeds.
Personally I prefer straight line power/speed as it is far more useable.
Keep the dump valve if you like it..................each to there own.
Just do plenty of research before you shell out your dosh.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not many truly straight roads in the UK, and any road which is interesting and challenging to drive is usually so because it is as twisty as ****. A dolphin could drive in a straight line, and as for a 12 second thrill on a disused airfield I run 2 trackdays a year on a twisty airfield and I would rather that than watch the traffic light drivel that happens at Elvington. Been there, watched it, went home after 1 hour and never went back. Credit to the guys who engineer their cars to the top spec in that arena, but IMHO it is still as dull as dishwater. My car was a real world drivers car, and could be used every day. I once chatted to a guy with a straight-line car pushing 500bhp and he openly admitted he wouldn't stand a cat in Hell's chance against my car on any decent road. I openly admit that at the traffic lights he'd leave me sat wondering where he went. Each to their own, but please don't dismiss my chosen route of modding a road car to make it good on the road over your route of making it compromised on the road and useful on 2-3 weekends a year, if it doesn't pi$$ down like the last few Elvington events.
Old 30 June 2007, 02:32 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

im gonna go with corradoboy on this one. bob r i understand your view points on the straight line speed. being a novice driver with only 15 months experience behind the wheel, i have no idea how to take corners at daft speeds (when the conditions allow i may add...), and thus just give the scoob a squirt on the straights for now.

without hijacking your thread mr bollocks, after having a full decat and possibly in the future a remap, i was personally going to concentrate on handling and suspension mods. things such as decent shocks springs, coilovers etc, can help no end in the improvement of handling, hence one of the reasons i have stuck to a 17" wheel and not upgraded to 18"s.

decent arb's such as whiteline, adjustable if needs be to fine tune your preferences, solid alloy/steel drops links can make the world of difference. then you have anti lift kits, and upgrades for everything inc. bushes, pins etc.

my car has covered nearly 130k miles <<< view my scooby (engine 60k old), and you can tell as the suspension is tired and lazy. still m.o.t. friendly, but for a performance car, its not upto scratch anymore. hence why im replacing the (standard i think) shocks/spring/topmounts, with some kyb adjustable shocks, uprated sti6 springs, and different topmounts. at least with adjustable shocks, you can play with the ride height for handling purposes, as i didnt want to really spend nearly £1000 on coilovers, when this is probably suitable for my level of driving skill.

a proper rant i know, but i hope its an insight into making your scoob fast everywhere, not just on the striaghts (unless, ofcourse, that is your tipple like bob r). nowadays, things like the corsa vxr are coming with nearly 200bhp standard, but stick them in the twisties with a well orgainised and set up scoob, no chance what so ever. straights, fair enough on a standard scoob, could be worrying times, but as said above i prefer some bends and twists to the scenery.

andy
Old 30 June 2007, 11:42 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Chcolate, you seem to contradict yourself in your first paragraph.

I have been driving 18 years, completed "Roadcraft" and I am daily pursuit driver, but I can't account for microclimates etc, therefore I don't condone driving to the limit around corners to out perform other cars, and I cant afford it, if it went wrong.

Straight line power makes more (sensible) sense to me.
Old 30 June 2007, 04:47 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Alright lads calm down,cheers for the advice. Im still not sure what to do and how much it will cost,if i talk niceley to my other half i might have about 2k to spend. Thats why im asking for advice,wasn't sure whether or not to spend the extra money on an STI.
Old 30 June 2007, 04:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

For £2k I'd do the zorst, map, brakes and suspension. If you intend to take it any further in the future, consider holding off and looking to STi.
Old 30 June 2007, 05:00 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Old 30 June 2007, 05:10 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

03sti's are cracking value now days, and a much better car for modding than a 05 wrx. I would get a 03sti.
Not sure how much change you would have if you sold yours though.

Last edited by davedipster; 30 June 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 30 June 2007, 05:13 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
03sti's are cracking value now days, and a much better car for modding than a 05 wrx.

How much are they going for (non franchised garages) ?
Old 30 June 2007, 05:16 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

14 -15k.
Old 30 June 2007, 05:19 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Dogs Danglies... dont know your real name.... You have PM mate

Last edited by girl-in-a-scoob; 30 June 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 30 June 2007, 06:03 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
Can I have a PM too lass ?
Old 30 June 2007, 06:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Chcolate, you seem to contradict yourself in your first paragraph.

I have been driving 18 years, completed "Roadcraft" and I am daily pursuit driver, but I can't account for microclimates etc, therefore I don't condone driving to the limit around corners to out perform other cars, and I cant afford it, if it went wrong.

Straight line power makes more (sensible) sense to me.

probably, i was tired at the time of posting

serious note though. what i meant was currently due to my (not your) lack of driving experience, i prefer straight line speed. but that is changing as i become more experienced, and spend money on things like handling modifications.

wasnt looking to get a reaction from you bob...honestly
Old 30 June 2007, 06:47 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
probably, i was tired at the time of posting

serious note though. what i meant was currently due to my (not your) lack of driving experience, i prefer straight line speed. but that is changing as i become more experienced, and spend money on things like handling modifications.

wasnt looking to get a reaction from you bob...honestly
No ? Thats why you re-read the post

No worries.

If I had the cash I would have every conceivable extra on my car to transform the performance and handling as I am an "all the gear, no idea" sort of bloke. ie - I like the best weapons in my armoury but may not neccessarily use them.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:32 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob

Thanks for PM, will give them a ring for some advice.