Ebay dodger, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 08:59 AM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ebay dodger, need advice!

I bought some bits of Ebay on the 24th April for £56 and postage was £23.50 so a grand total of £79.50 which I paid straight away with Paypal, the guy has 100% feedback. I went a way working and never realy gave the bits a second thought.
On the 14th June I emailed the guy asking where my order was, he replyed saying that I should have it and what was my delivery address and he would chase it up.
On the 26th June I wrote to him again because I hadnt had a reply from him, he emailed back on the 27th saying this.
(hi there, sorry i haven't been back in touch, been having problems with courier, the items have been lost in there system, i can claim back £30 back of them for there error, i'll gladly refund you for the purchase price of the item excluding the postage, if ok i'll paypal your refund, just confirm the e-mail to send the refund to. Once again i'm sorry for this and thank you for your patience)
What do you guys think, is this a scam? If you creamed £20 of everyone this way it would add up, what are my options, hes offering me a refund on the goods, do I take it and write of the delivery money because if I say Im not accepting any less than all my money back I may get nothing. Whats my options, have any of you been here before?
Old 28 June 2007, 09:23 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion.

If the courier has offered him a refund then he must have some form of proof of postage. I would certainly ask to see that to prove that the items were actually posted in the first place. It should have a reference number which you will be able to use to enquire on the item.

You can either accept the offer from the seller, or use Paypal to attempt to recoup the entire loss including postage costs.

If you say that the seller has 100% feedback to date then this is probably a genuine loss in post (or nicked by courier). You could also use ebay to msg ppl who have bought similar sized/priced items off this seller recently to reassure you.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:39 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

He has 100% feedback, but what score 4, 6, 100, 1000 ?

Some people get a good feedback record, then go for the sting on bigger items.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:45 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If its over 45 days (I think) then you wont be able to make a claim via Paypal so your pretty well stuffed becuase you left it so long.

Basically, you have paid for goods and delviery with a total of £79.50 If you have not recieved anything then he is obtaining money by deception which is fraud. He must give you back a full refund as you have recieved nothing. Its up to him to claim the funds back from the courier NOT you. £30 is all you get for royal mail recorded so this is probably how he sent it (if he did). Even so he should have proof it was actually sent. 2 months is far too long to not chase the 'couriers' up about it.

If he refuses you can file a report online (money claim or something, google it) which, as long as you have all of the Ebay pages and Paypal sent payments pages, will force him to pay or end up on court and have a CCJ against him to pay you the funds.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

proof ofpostage means squat tho,hee could put an empty box in the post with his own address on and use that receipt,known n that done
Old 28 June 2007, 02:19 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

With proof of postage u get a bit of paper that states where the parcel is being sent to.
Old 28 June 2007, 03:11 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Used it myself to recover a few hundred I lent someone, never had to go to court myself and got it all back with interest and all my fees paid.

What amused me more was the person I claimed against hired a solicitor so it cost them the cash plus interest, the court fees and the solicitors fees. Oh how I laughed...

Don't know if its worth it for 70quid tho.
Old 28 June 2007, 03:21 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

If the postage was £23.50 it must be more than std Royal Mail service, so he must be able to provide some kind of paperwork for it.