Sponsored by:

Legal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 07:51 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal or Not?

Im confused on the legality of a Snooper Evolution GPS Detector. Been using it for around 5 months in the UK now and its a great little unit. I notice on the spec that it also has European Coverage.....and as we are of to France on Monday for our Summer Hols....I wondered if I could use it there or not....?
I had thought that radar detectors were illegal in France...but is this unit not classed as a GPS detector not Radar?
any comments?
Old 21 June 2007, 08:15 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I believe any such device is illegal in France - I've *read* plenty about people having road angels confiscated and fairly hefty fines given.

I'd play it safe and leave it at home (or buy camera alerts for your TomTom )
Old 21 June 2007, 08:20 PM
milf hunter
Scooby Regular

Speed camera detectors
check out this site

Speed camera detectors
There are two families of products available:
- Real radar detectors, forbidden by law in France.
- Radar warning systems, using a database of the location of the speed cameras coupled with a GPS. Allowed in France.

Radar and Laser Detectors - forbidden in France
Radar and Laser detectors detect active (in-use) speed cameras. Advances in speed camera technology have superseded these systems and new digital speed cameras are invisible to Radar and Laser detectors. Unlike GPS based systems there is no subscription with Radar and Laser detectors. Such a device is not allowed in France. Getting caught having such a device in your vehicle means a 1500 euros fine, device impounded (with the car if fixed to it).

GPS Speed Camera Detectors - allowed in france
A GPS speed camera detector relies on a database of speed camera locations. GPS speed camera detectors warn drivers of all known fixed and mobile speed cameras - good as long as they are known. It also offers the user many additional features including the exact camera type, range and perhaps most useful - the road speed limit. Some database updates for France can be available for free, but usually a small fee (monthly or annualy) is requested for easy accurate updates.
Old 21 June 2007, 08:46 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently in the UK there is no legislation that makes Radar or Laser detectors illiegal, the government tried to use the wireless telegraphy act but the signals used do not carry any code or communication thus it is not illegal to recieve them.. And GPS detectors just store positions so there is also no legislation that can stop you using them..

HOWEVER if you are caught speeding with one powered up you could technically be done for attempting to pervert the course of justice..
Old 21 June 2007, 09:43 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Just to explain why I said why I did..

My GPS Snooper also has Laser detection built in.. which makes it illegal in france I believe.
Old 21 June 2007, 10:48 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

good site milf hunter.....thanks for that....
of course even though it looks like I could get away with it...it would depend on the French police knowing the difference visually between a radar detector and a gps one.....not sure if I want to take the risk..or the fine....company car and all that.....found another site to load the french speed camera database onto my garmin..so might make do with that seems a safer bet....
thanks for the replys all...
Paul