Sponsored by:

MY DREAM CAR

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 12:17 AM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY DREAM CAR

Hi im about to hit 16 in august and looking at a car for next year maybe a golf or a clio, but of course my dream car is a Subaru Impreza WRX STI type uk prodrive version, but i was wondering how old do you think i would have to be untill i could get this car, i know how to drive now as i have drivin my parents car before and find it really easy now, so hopefully there should be lots of no claims bonus's lol but was just wondering if any of you could give me some advise to get a subaru asap as i am desperate to own one

Last edited by Guthrie14; 13 June 2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: new pic
Old 13 June 2007, 12:28 AM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

16? ... well to be honest i dont think you would get insured on an STI pal.. you could try but i got my 2006 STI when i was 23 and had enough problems getting insured on that!.. the insurance costs me 4 grand a year!.. and ive got no points or claims!

so if you want an STI when your 17.. be prepared to not only pay about 12 grand atleast for the car, but a hell of alot for the insurance.. its also not a cheap car to run, they eat petrol and you can only use the high performance (shell v-power etc) petrol.. which happens to be the most expensive too!

but if youve got money to burn, go for it!!

just re-read your original message again.. how old would you ahve to be before having a STI? ... depends on the money situation, but most insurance companies will only insure you on one if your over 25.

Last edited by drtchock; 13 June 2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:22 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Can't wait to read the sarky replies this thread gets later
Old 13 June 2007, 07:27 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It's good to dream and I hope you get to realise your dream as soon as is possible
Old 13 June 2007, 07:32 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember my dream car at that age, the Sierra RS500 Cosworth

Unless your parents are very well to do, you'll probably have to wait a few years before you can afford to insure an STi
Old 13 June 2007, 07:35 AM
flakey
Scooby Regular

Go get one mate

Last edited by flakey; 13 June 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 13 June 2007, 07:46 AM
2.5RSMatt
Scooby Regular

No matter what your age go for your dreams but do so within your financial means. I remember when I was 18 and looking to buy a late 80's esprit; I was dreaming big time. Insurance was my main issue and owning the car would have been an absolute waste of money in the insurance.

What about getting a classic NA subaru until you're older where insurance wouldn't be so much on a turbo model?

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2007, 07:47 AM
MonkiP1
Scooby Regular

Lol you could try insureing a Impreza sport, yeh the premium will still be very high at 17 but not as high as a full turbo.
Easly moddable to look like like a replica turbo, but then why?

Im 21,male, 2years ncb, 3 years driving experience and a dr10(Drink driving)

I currently drive a P1 but at a high cost to insure. Still imho its worth it.

Hope this helps and gives you a sort of idea what you might be paying.

Monki.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:33 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair when you turn 17 you'll be paying over a grand for a 1.1 Saxo in your own name, there wont be an insurance company on the planet that will cover a 17 year old on an STi unless you post them some mind altering drugs lol! When you're 21 you'll notice a big drop in your insurance then you might find an STi has come down to the sort of money you'ed have been paying for your first car.. and at 25+ it gets silly cheap if you've got full NCB and a clean license

I know its a cliche and you've probably heard it from your parents a million times but the best thing to do is to buy a sensible car that costs peanuts to insure, do not modify it and take it easy.. that way you can build up your NCB, save a few quid over 4 years and buy your self exactly what you want when you turn 21.. Yes you wont have loudest/bassiest (what ever is the fashion these days) car at the local Tescos carpark cruise *BUT* when your 21 you wont be financed up to the eye ***** because you spent £15k on making a Fiesta look like an Enzo and you can afford to buy a proper car unlike all your mates who'll be driving ****ters

Last edited by [Davey]; 13 June 2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:52 AM
osborne
Scooby Regular

i say stick to your dream

i'm 18 and i've got my impreza wrx import. Had at when i was 17 aswell. (2nd car though)

The insurance company literally **** me with the price but i love the car and have no regret.

If you try hard enough you can get what you want
Old 13 June 2007, 09:03 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

As others have said, it's great to have a dream, and I hope you eventually get your hands on an sti. But, here's the kicker. I 'thought' I could drive when I 15/16 yrs old.
I have been driving manual fork lifts since I can remember. My Dad had his own fork lift truck business and I helped out every saturday from when I was 12. He'd usually ask me to, 'go and test it son!' Ever wondered how hard it is to role a fork truck?
Yes, I could accelerate, brake and change gear very well for my age, but looking back at it now, I had no idea what I was doing.
The experience definately paid off though, and in 7.5 years of driving, I havn't had an accident (touches coffee table ) And that's 3.5 years of driving performance cars.

The best thing you can do is what my dad did for me. He knew I could drive (passed my test within 2 months of turning 17) but he also knew that my confidence far out-weighed my skill. So, what would any smart father do? Buy his son a crappy 1990 astra non-turbo diesel estate. The deal was that if I could go a year without putting a scratch on it, he'd buy me a new car!

I kept to the deal (bl&ody hard to crash one of those through high speed anyway!) and for my 18th bday I got a brand spanking new vw golf 1.6 se. Ran that for 3 years, again with no accidents. Then, when I was 21, I asked my old man if the car was 'his' or mine. He said it was mine so I could do what I wanted with it.
So in the end I sold it, bought an sti4 (100bhp to 300bhp is quite a jump!) and have never looked back.

From my own experience, 21 was old enough for me, but I had been driving vehicles of some sort since I was 12. Do the right thing, get a 1.1 crapper for the first year or so and see how you get on. You won't get insured on much more at 16 yrs old anyway.
Just don't do what some boys on here do, buy a scooby at 17, insure it in mummys name and then drive it as your own car. It IS illegal and you WILL lose your license if you have an accident.
Old 13 June 2007, 09:23 AM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

not wantinng to sound too depressing but you are going to have a long 10yr wait to drive an STI, I would think most insurers would not even bother quoting you a premium. You will have to do what most of us senior drivers had to do start with the rubbish at 17 and then get an sti much much later. The youngest scooby guy I know drives an STIppp my04, he is 24 clean lincence full no claims, and his insurance is just under 3,500 LOL i mean there comes a point where it's just not worth it scooby or not.
Old 13 June 2007, 10:04 AM
O'Neill
Scooby Regular

I dont understand how insurers work?

I think half of em must just make up figures off the top of their head???

I'm 22 and drive an MY06 STI PPP

and in my last scooby which was admittidly only a bugeye gx, but the insurance went down by about £400 shortly after i had run into the back of someone... explain that ? ? ? lol
Old 13 June 2007, 10:28 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Have to agree with all the satements above keep the dream alive

The NA group 12 & WRX Group 17 when the new Hatchback is out it maybe the WRX lower group rating although STi still Group 20

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Can't wait to read the sarky replies this thread gets later
Supprisinlgy refreshing

Tony
Old 13 June 2007, 12:36 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by osborne
i say stick to your dream

i'm 18 and i've got my impreza wrx import. Had at when i was 17 aswell. (2nd car though)

The insurance company literally **** me with the price but i love the car and have no regret.

If you try hard enough you can get what you want

how much do you have to pay for your import and what insurance company are you with because every one iv looked at just sting me straight away
Old 13 June 2007, 12:38 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
As others have said, it's great to have a dream, and I hope you eventually get your hands on an sti. But, here's the kicker. I 'thought' I could drive when I 15/16 yrs old.
I have been driving manual fork lifts since I can remember. My Dad had his own fork lift truck business and I helped out every saturday from when I was 12. He'd usually ask me to, 'go and test it son!' Ever wondered how hard it is to role a fork truck?
Yes, I could accelerate, brake and change gear very well for my age, but looking back at it now, I had no idea what I was doing.
The experience definately paid off though, and in 7.5 years of driving, I havn't had an accident (touches coffee table ) And that's 3.5 years of driving performance cars.

The best thing you can do is what my dad did for me. He knew I could drive (passed my test within 2 months of turning 17) but he also knew that my confidence far out-weighed my skill. So, what would any smart father do? Buy his son a crappy 1990 astra non-turbo diesel estate. The deal was that if I could go a year without putting a scratch on it, he'd buy me a new car!

I kept to the deal (bl&ody hard to crash one of those through high speed anyway!) and for my 18th bday I got a brand spanking new vw golf 1.6 se. Ran that for 3 years, again with no accidents. Then, when I was 21, I asked my old man if the car was 'his' or mine. He said it was mine so I could do what I wanted with it.
So in the end I sold it, bought an sti4 (100bhp to 300bhp is quite a jump!) and have never looked back.

From my own experience, 21 was old enough for me, but I had been driving vehicles of some sort since I was 12. Do the right thing, get a 1.1 crapper for the first year or so and see how you get on. You won't get insured on much more at 16 yrs old anyway.
Just don't do what some boys on here do, buy a scooby at 17, insure it in mummys name and then drive it as your own car. It IS illegal and you WILL lose your license if you have an accident.
thanks for the advice man
Old 13 June 2007, 12:43 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllyJ
not wantinng to sound too depressing but you are going to have a long 10yr wait to drive an STI, I would think most insurers would not even bother quoting you a premium. You will have to do what most of us senior drivers had to do start with the rubbish at 17 and then get an sti much much later. The youngest scooby guy I know drives an STIppp my04, he is 24 clean lincence full no claims, and his insurance is just under 3,500 LOL i mean there comes a point where it's just not worth it scooby or not.
the thing is my cousin owns the exact scooby i want and she's 25 but im not sure if thats because she has 8 years no claims but before that she owned a scooby at the age of like 21 and that was still a wrx turbo and it shifted im not looking to but one at the age of 17 because it would be sky high on insurance im looking to get a scooby asap like at the age of 18-19-20 but i still want that god dam STI
Old 13 June 2007, 12:47 PM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
To be fair when you turn 17 you'll be paying over a grand for a 1.1 Saxo in your own name, there wont be an insurance company on the planet that will cover a 17 year old on an STi unless you post them some mind altering drugs lol! When you're 21 you'll notice a big drop in your insurance then you might find an STi has come down to the sort of money you'ed have been paying for your first car.. and at 25+ it gets silly cheap if you've got full NCB and a clean license

I know its a cliche and you've probably heard it from your parents a million times but the best thing to do is to buy a sensible car that costs peanuts to insure, do not modify it and take it easy.. that way you can build up your NCB, save a few quid over 4 years and buy your self exactly what you want when you turn 21.. Yes you wont have loudest/bassiest (what ever is the fashion these days) car at the local Tescos carpark cruise *BUT* when your 21 you wont be financed up to the eye ***** because you spent £15k on making a Fiesta look like an Enzo and you can afford to buy a proper car unlike all your mates who'll be driving ****ters

exactly what i did!! lol, my first car was an old Rover Metro.. i ran it into the ground! didnt even bother cleaning it once! lol
Old 13 June 2007, 01:16 PM
ross1981
Scooby Newbie

ive just got bought a 05 STI (PPP) and just turned 26 with full no claims but have 3 points on my license, and pay £980. When you get over 25 the price really does come down and become affordable.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:25 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

I've got that car right now and I'm 29 and I had to wait until now before I could afford to run one properly. Don't do it on the cheap, it will only come back and bite you on the ****.

My insurance for it is £750 a year, but you have to take into account servicing, repairs, FUEL BILLS!!

It'll be worth the wait though, awesome car, best decision I ever made to move from my shonky old Sierra

Cheers

Matt
Old 13 June 2007, 01:32 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Tom!!!!!

I have heard your cousin is really sexy and drives a scoob too! Sounds like she's my kinda girl.

Wait a minute....................

Welcome to SN mate.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:33 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a 55 STI PPP'd (after wanting one for years), i'm 33 yo and could justify the £500 insurance premium and high running costs.
15 years of driving hot hatches and 15 years without an accident or claim has made it possible for me, yes I probably could have bought an STI 5 years ago but would not have been able to afford to run it.
Its down to how much YOU think is a reasonable amount of money to pay year on year for insurance.
If you are happy to pay £1000's each year for insurance make sure you have enough left over for the other running costs too and if you have good luck!!

Cheers
AC
Old 13 June 2007, 02:13 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Tom!!!!!

I have heard your cousin is really sexy and drives a scoob too! Sounds like she's my kinda girl.

Wait a minute....................

Welcome to SN mate.
lol hi mike dint really kno who it was till i saw ur name lol

Last edited by Guthrie14; 13 June 2007 at 07:55 PM.