Sponsored by:

Knocking noise 06 STi

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2007, 04:49 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise 06 STi

Hiya - I have this really annoying rattly knocking noise coming from the back of the car somewhere. The dealer has tightened up the boot catch but it hasn't helped. I've tried padding the "boot floor" in case it was rattling on the spare wheel but that hasn't helped either.

It does it as I'm driving along over bumps, but it even happens as I pull away slowly from stationary on a smooth road surface, and it's starting to drive me a bit nuts!

Any ideas? I've tried wiggling the boot lid and I don't think it's that, or the fuel cap, or the slightly loose bumper (although need to get that sorted)!
Old 09 June 2007, 04:56 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

I had this on my 05 till recently.. it was a ****ed suspension strut that got replaced under warrenty. Its 100% as you describe it.

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-question.html

Me and my mate asking about it.

Last edited by mystic_magic; 09 June 2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: cos i wanna add summin
Old 09 June 2007, 05:15 PM
VTR Bondy
Scooby Regular

I got this problem too. it seems abit of a design flaw. Can't afford a new dsus strut yet will it be somethin that i can leave for a few months?
Old 09 June 2007, 08:13 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Your dealer should have realised what it was straight away. The struts on these are pants. I have a 2007 car and thats had a replacement, along with my previous 2004 car. A well known problem which as yet they don't seem to have a cure for - other than replacing the offending item until it fails again.
Old 09 June 2007, 11:54 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Hmm thanks guys. I did read about this before I took it in, but someone said the noise is normally from the left (I think this is from the right). Hence giving the dealer a chance to fix it without saying to them "I think it's the strut".

It's got to go back for a new rear view mirror (warranty) cos when the weather's hot the glass flaps around ( ) so I will ask them to look at this too.

It knocks and clonks all the time on bumpy stuff, and especially when pulling away - still sounding like it? Car has done just over 10k miles (just had its first proper service)
Old 09 June 2007, 11:56 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Ah you know what - I've just read a thread which describes the car "sitting down" at the back when you stop

It did exactly that today and I commented to my other half how weird it was, and was accompanied bya peculiar noise!
Old 10 June 2007, 12:24 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
It knocks and clonks all the time on bumpy stuff, and especially when pulling away - still sounding like it? Car has done just over 10k miles (just had its first proper service)

Yeah DEFFO i found it hard to replicate on 'nice' roads. But when i went to santa pod and parked on the grass a few months back i realised how bad it really was. Told the nearest place to where i live. Booked it in, few hours later called me to say they found the problem and the part would be with them next day.

I was dreading them not being able to find it.. but it was pretty obvious to them it seems, so as suggested it must be (and deffo now appears to be) a common issue.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:52 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Thanks - will sort it out on MOnday

There must be some come back to Subaru - what does everyone do when they're out of warranty ?
Old 10 June 2007, 09:31 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had this on my 06 STi - replaced both rear struts without any problems under warranty.

If you can, make sure they do both at the same time.
Old 10 June 2007, 09:37 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Thanks, why's that - some technical reason, or just cos better to get 2 new parts than one !
Old 10 June 2007, 09:56 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

You should always try and replace suspension components such as shocks in pairs as any imbalance could be dangerous.
Old 10 June 2007, 09:59 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

oh - forgot to say the easy way to check this is open the boot and sit on the bootsill and bounce

You should hear a soft knocking.

ps - mind your head cos the boot lid could come down on you

pps - the boot lid hitting your head really really hurts
Old 10 June 2007, 11:46 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
Ah you know what - I've just read a thread which describes the car "sitting down" at the back when you stop

It did exactly that today and I commented to my other half how weird it was, and was accompanied bya peculiar noise!
100% that is stiction in the struts,

Get some silicone spray and apply lots to the shiny part of the strut under the rubber boot.. let us know if it goes away.

Andy
Old 10 June 2007, 07:53 PM
scoobymy01
Scooby Regular

I had mine replaced twice on my 53 STI and even got the second lot done out of warranty , i contacted subaru UK and they said as i had owned the car for some time .. approx 2 years at the time they would change them FOC ... cant be bad.
Old 23 February 2008, 10:58 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Sigh - dealer replaced the rear suspension under warranty (I'd have to look it up to find out exactly what) and now <10k miles later all 4 corners are squeaking and the front (and possibly the back) seem to be knocking

It seems pointless just to keep changing them for the same parts which keep on breaking Anybody had any luck getting Subaru to contribute the same amount, towards aftermarket parts hwich hopefully won't fail !?

Which bits is it; what is it that needs replacing?
Old 23 February 2008, 11:08 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

sounds to me like the rear shocks...mine went last year....im told its a very common fault on sti's......if you go to scoobyclinic they now make their own which are a lot longer than the subaru parts...my knocking has now stopped.....why dont subaru do sumfin...well, wud you if you make **** loads on replacement shocks...mmmmm....
Old 23 February 2008, 11:53 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

part no.s are super-ceded for the struts about 4 times so they are doing things to them but as yet it doesn't seem to be working
Old 24 February 2008, 10:23 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

Would that be causing the squeaking too? These have lasted about 8.5k miles

Also squeaking coming from the front (as well as the back) - is that common?

Do you know how much the Scoobyclinic ones are (how long have yours lasted so far?)