Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

05 STi rear end clonk question?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 09:38 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 STi rear end clonk question?

A mate of mine has an 05 Prodrive STI with not very many miles on the clock, he's complaining of a clonk from the rear end when he pulls away.

He took me out in it tonight and typically couldn't get it to do it

I've had a good feel underneath, the only thing that concerns me slightly is the apparent amount of movement in the rear diff with the handbrake applied. From what I can tell the handbrake locks on the prop or the centre diff some place on these models?

If I grab the drive flange on the front of the rear diff there's about 5 to 10 degrees of movement, is this normal?

Also with the handbrake applied and the car on the ground I'm able to turn the rear wheel forward and backward a small amount {again about 5 to 10 degrees} with a noticeable clonk when changing direction, again is this normal?

Assuming the above is normal where else should we be looking for causes of clonking?

many thanks
Old 13 March 2007, 10:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What appears to be a fair amount of movement is pretty normal but unless you really know how much there should be, it's difficult to judge if it's excessive.
I had a similar problem on my 99MY when only 1800 miles old and had to have a new rear diff. fitted.
Does it knock as you reverse? or whine excessively when reversing?
JohnD
Old 13 March 2007, 10:14 PM
chriswsti05
Scooby Regular

my 05 sti has a definite klonk from the rear when you launch it, I assumed it was normal - perhaps its not !
Old 14 March 2007, 08:30 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

This is more apparent when pulling away slowly.. though it oddly seems to have gone for the time being :S

Anyone know if it would cost me anything just to get it look over seeing as its under warrenty??