Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serous questions requiring serious answers (please - Pete Croney et al)

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2000, 01:18 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Having advised a mate to get a Scooby (17k miles MY98 Prodrived 5-dr), I am now concerned about the issue of the oil pump question for 1998 cars (following CK1's second demise). According to Stef there is a modification that can be carried out to upgrade the pump (apparantly needs the cam belt removed). Could someone please elaborate on this or advise on how to make a '98 car more reliable.

Also, he is after a performance exhaust (downpipe to tailpipe) - which is best? Noise is not an issue (in fact the noisier the better). The complete Scorpion is looking the favourite at present (at £385), is there anything better for ultimate power increase / value for money?

This would also mean that he has a Prodrive back-box going - any offers for this?
Many thanks for you kind assistance (as usual )
Mike R
TVR / Evo / Scooby / (Some ) Caterhams / Skyline Killer
Old 27 November 2000, 01:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

~killer!

LOL

At least they didn't end up broken down at the circuit at the end of the day

Don't forget to add Honda Superbike Killer to the list
Old 27 November 2000, 02:07 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Wink

Puff,
You would have to hijack my serious thread - Yep, I suppose I should add alternator killer to the list!
LOL
Mike R
Old 27 November 2000, 02:28 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

dont forget diff killer

robski
Old 27 November 2000, 02:29 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Mike

Thought this Oil starvation rubbish only happened with much G (ie track)

Anyway, I'll have the back box if it's reasonably priced what about the Chip ?, wouldn't he be better of getting a *proper* mappable ECU even with just an exhaust ?

Ps I'll also have the Prodrive ECU (if it's reasonably priced
Old 27 November 2000, 02:40 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mike,

An attempted serious answer

I think the mod that Stef is referring to is shimming the oil pump relief spring to increase the pressure delivered.

I'm not sure why you would do this unless the relief spring was knackered and the pressure in the mains was under spec.

Maybe a fractional increase in pressures gives a bit of an extra margin, but it wouldn't help oil surge.

An oil pressure gauge for my MY98 is beginning to sound like a good idea....

Cheers,

Alex
Old 27 November 2000, 03:10 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gary,
Any "sensible offer" for the back box will not be refused. The Prodive ECU is staying at present, but MoTec maybe on the cards in the future....
Best regards
Mike R
Old 27 November 2000, 05:33 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Yo Mike!

the easy oil pump mod is to take out the oil pump relief spring and insert either a stronger spring or some shims. This will increase the oil pressure from the stock 6 bar, IIRC it's not advisable to take it beyond 8 bar, but anywhere between should be OK.

As to oil surge, well, considering that a stock engine, on stock engine management run on a dyno let go on No. 3 bearing under sustained high load, that would kinda eliminate oil surge as a source of the problem, no?

OK, after re-reading the service manual after Bob pointed out that No. 3 wasn't fed from the same feed as the turbo, it would appear that No.2 and No.3 big end bearings get fed from No.3 main journal bearing, whereas No.1 and No.4 big ends get fed from No.1 and No.4 main journal bearings. Hmmmm.... weird that No.2 doesn't seem to let go, but the fact that both No.2 & No.3 are fed from the same journal bearing probably doesn't help!

Also, the use of duff oil wouldn't help. The current "concensus" seems to be that the problems are due to the oil film on No.3 collapsing causing the bearing to pick up, and when that happens, it's only a matter of time. Why No.3 runs so hot, we don't know yet, but it is the closest cylinder to the turbo, and there is a lot of manifold just under the head there.... hmmm....

So until the real cause is found, I'de suggest a good quality oil, and to be extra safe, a shimmed oil pump relief spring.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 27 November 2000, 05:47 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mike.
All points have all been covered by Pat.
I'll be doing everything possible to my engine to ensure it never happens to me again. Knowing my luck though......

Stef.
Old 27 November 2000, 05:57 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Breakdown of the oil is one of the easier things to determine, there are companies that'll do an analysis of oil post problem. This would tell you if the oil was the problem - this thread seems to be going the oil cooler route. In the past another car which had an alloy block that used to destroy big end bearings when modified was the lotus sunbeam. Once the engine was modded above 200 bhp if an oil cooler wasn't fitted it was only a matter of time before the big end bearings gave way. I had a friend who had this happen - he had his oil checked after the failure and the analysis told him he'd cooked the oil - hence the failure - alloy block, high revving does this sound like an engine we know ?.
Old 27 November 2000, 06:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Exhaust - concensus - BPM Twin dump, HKS Hiper mid/back - Straight through 3in, lots of noise, loads of flow and lots of high end power.

Lots of money too £1,000 all in.

R
Old 28 November 2000, 12:05 AM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

Mike , we meet in the strangest of places!

Have not experienced it myself but sold a full turbo back Mongoose to local chap. Sounded the business and went well too. Not sure what other mods he had done though. We also sent one of these out to some famous footballer in Oz along with a filter kit and a chip. Apparently the he was pleased as punch and again the car went very well for the mods carried out.
Hope this helps you answer your question

cheers

jason
01582 572500
Old 28 November 2000, 12:27 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

i personally will not be loosing any sleep over the problem. There must be more than 15000 scoobys in the country!

It has to be a full scorpian system. good quality, high power and great sound. Plus you are not getting ripped off for what amount to the same thing
Old 28 November 2000, 12:42 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scoobymike,
Sorry already sold to Gary for the princely sum of £100 + carriage. He did offer more, but I sort of know him and generousity took over...
Best regards
Mike R
Old 28 November 2000, 12:53 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

I hope it won't be the last Prodrive BB on offer in the UK

Anyway, cheers mate

Mike

Old 28 November 2000, 10:59 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Red face

Come on you lot - surely between you you have had some experience of some good exhausts! Anyone got a Mongoose full system on their car?
Cheers
Mike R
Old 28 November 2000, 11:53 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Mike

160 quid for the backbox, including p&p for sending it to me. Hope that sounds reasonable for you.

Cheers

Mike
Old 28 November 2000, 01:00 PM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

bear in mind Mike that we can help you out the price of any of the major brands in the UK. Mongoose , Magnex & Scorpion. We can also get HKS & Blitz if any use

cheers

jason
01582 572500
Old 28 November 2000, 02:58 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Jason

I'm looking for a BB with similar sound, sound level and performance compared to a Prodrive BB. The Scoobysport is definitely too loud for me as we live in a small country
What would you recommend? I'm just looking for a decent BB, got already a decatted downpipe. Do you also sell midsec with sport cat?

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Mike
Old 28 November 2000, 04:58 PM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Powerstation have a Mongoose on their demo white STi. I went in it and it sounds sweet as.

I cannot believe you have recommended your mate buys a Scooby, whats up have you lost Harvey and Ahmed's number?

jon
Old 28 November 2000, 05:04 PM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

Scoobymike,

we have sent you an e-mail, let us know if any of it is help to you

regards

jason/james
01582 572500
Old 28 November 2000, 05:23 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

That Mike R's a lovely bloke you know, and I don't agree at all with all the stuff the rest of you have been saying about him

He seriously did sell it to me for less than I offered him, obviously taking pity on me
Old 28 November 2000, 05:23 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Mike

A chap in Cardiff was selling a full Mongoose system for £170 ish a few weeks back

I decided not to go for it - but I'm sure it will be alright for your purposes

If you want to know why I didnt go for it and still have the full BPM system - waiting for a decatted center pipe mail me off line

Also Motec?? - merits and demerits I guess
Old 28 November 2000, 05:30 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve,

If you know of a problem with the Mongoose why cant you put it on here and let other, unsuspecting, potential buyers know your thoughts?. Isnt that what part of the BBS is about?

Perhaps Amber Performance should sponsor a banner like the other commercial entities on this BBS?

Sunil
Old 28 November 2000, 05:33 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

I don't believe that was Steve - subtle and maybe sensitive to an issue?
Old 28 November 2000, 05:48 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,
He wanted something practical which was covered by a warranty - hence the Scooby, which has warranty until next year (as it has only done 17k miles). And also had all the Prodrive mods - leather, wheels, performance package, quick shift etc. (cost the original owner over £28k!) and Paul paid £16.5k for it....

Gary,
Don't be a creep, I've already agreed the price..
LOL

Rest,
Finally gone for Mongoose full system (4" tail pipe) and K&N induction kit to free up those extra ponies. Also have got Eibach springs for it and will have the geometry set up to "Prodrive" settings once it has been lowered (as it didn't have the suspension package). Should go well I hope, as he is quite keen on improving it.

Thanks for your views.
Best regards
Mike R
Old 28 November 2000, 09:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Mike

Had a chat with him @ Snetters - get him to go for the brake upgrade too (if his driving is as good as you say, he might need it ). Also check his r/n/s tyre for digs & possible slow puncture

Lovely looking car - IMO he got a bargain

(Sorry no photo )
Old 29 November 2000, 07:13 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Oh dear - I'm sorry to hear you wnet for the Mongoose

I could'nt do it as I'm led to believe the downpipe is very restictive - and hence the reason I did'nt purchase a near mint full system for less than half the retail price

You live and learn I guess

Sunilp

But Sunil you dont have a performance car?

Old 29 November 2000, 08:21 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mculloch, once again you have done an excellent job of reading something completely irrelevant into something else i have clearly posted.

I was only posting to see if you would post your reasons, (which appear - as usual to be hearsay and without substance anyhow ) for the benefit of people who may consider buying the Mongoose system - one of which isnt me.

Stop being such a selfish muppet you muppet

Sunil