Sponsored by:

PX or private sale?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 06:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PX or private sale?

Right, the time has come and im gonna take the plunge to get a new Scooby.
Looking to get a Euro import WRX from either Litchfield or MotorDepot. I have still to confirm that MotorDepot WRX's are actually Euro and not JDM.

So the big question is. Am I better off PX'ing my car, or selling privately.
Obviously private can be a little more drawn out, where as PX is simple valuation and trade in.

Its an 02 WRX on 65k miles. Good nick, well looked after etc, so should not get knocked down too much from either. Hoping to get at least 7k for it.

So opinions please, especially from anyone who had dealt with either of the above and PX'ed a car with them.
Old 27 May 2007, 08:57 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

If you can wait and you don't mind the hassle of selling privately i.e. timewasters and test pilots, then IMO that's what you should do.

Dealers never give you what you want. With cash in hand you can probably get a discount from the dealer too, he'll want your money!!
Old 27 May 2007, 09:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Dealers will spank you on your trade-in, but will also offer you what appears to be a better price than a cash deal as they have more potential offset in your car when it's sold on. They do want your cash, but your car can be worth more to them than they'll ever admit. Swings and roundabouts, but the convenience of PXing usually makes it attractive and also weights it in the dealers favour.
Old 27 May 2007, 10:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Yeah the convinience is winning me over at the mo. Dont like the idea of dealing with uninsured test pilots, time wasters etc. Experienced that all in the past.
Just seen one up for a trade sale at a main stealer, for £9,450. 10k less miles than mine but other than that, the same.

In reality though, im looking more to buy from Litch or MotorDepot, so guess it depends what they are like for PX. Parkers valuations are not too bad. Autotrader prices are not too bad either.

In all honesty the last 2 cars of my own I sold were sold to friends and quickly too. Sold my other halfs car, 1 time waster, but then bought by the next viewer. So I really have not experienced messers, and really dont wanna.

If the main stealer offers within about £500 of what im hoping for I will be tempted to go with it and do the deal. Dont think there is really much negotiation in the price with Euro imports is there?
Old 29 May 2007, 11:42 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Well the overall decision is...

PRIVATE.

3 dealers, all offering between 5100-5600 for the car in PX.

I could sell for 6,800 for a quick sale and still be better off.