Sponsored by:

Caught Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2000, 09:17 AM
Rajd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Anyone in the UK who has been caught speeding recently may find this website of interest.
Old 24 November 2000, 09:14 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks

I've had a quick look around the site and it looks pretty useful.

I have yet to get caught speeding (touch wood) but it has already been added to my favourites menu.

Old 24 November 2000, 09:27 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the URL Rajd

Speeding related issues almost deserve a Forum of their own..
Old 24 November 2000, 12:11 PM
PingTime
Scooby Newbie

thx d00d

( not that i`ve been caught speeding you understand )
Old 24 November 2000, 05:08 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Better get saving up then!

The web site quotes:-

The Verdict
You were caught driving at 98mph on a single carriageway. The speeed limit was indicated by traffic signs as 60mph. You were doing 38mph over the limit. As a guideline, the penalty for exceeding a speed limit of 60mph by 38mph is a fine of £135 to £810 and/or an endorsement of 6 penalty points.

The fact that driving is part of your job can be put forward as a mitigating factor and may make the court treat you less harshly.

Will I lose my licence?
You have no points on your licence therefore you are not in any danger of disqualification through totting from a single speeding offence. However, in extreme circumstances, drivers may be discretionally disqualified for speeding offences if the court considers the offence serious enough to warrant it.

Old 25 November 2000, 05:36 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sites like that crack me up. Remember the key factor. 9 times out of ten it comes down to the day and how the magistrate feels. Yeah sure, there "are guidelines to follow" but the magistrate is a "pillar of the community" and depending on how the beak feels that day, is diretly linked to the outcome...unless of course its Drinking and Driving or Dangerous Driving where the guidelines are more heavily followed.

Seek Legal advice, the cost vs the outcome can help dramtically. If you represent yourself and claim "mitigating circumstances" you are going to be questioned and also need to be clear on what you claim. I.E, my job depends on my licence, without it my pregnant wife, four kids and myself will starve as I am sure to lose my job. A letter from your personell department advising that the licence (if and only if your licence is important to your job) is vital to continue the role may help. And having that presented by a solicitor should make things flow a little better. Don't be cocky and expect the worst. Anything that is not max outcome, is a proper result.

Doing 98 in a 60 is a bit naughty really and your gonna be stung. Thats the long and short of it really. This actually looks like 2mph less than 100 in a 60 zone, which was a single carriage way. You have NO hope of stopping to avoid danger at that speed really so that is not in your favour. If it was wet, dark and you were behind other traffic, this may also effect you too. Every little detail comes into play. Including your previous history which according to the above is clean. If that is the case, you wont be dealt with as bad, but still made an example of. Should'nt be a ban (it may be 28 day) expect points and a fine. And make sure you fill your means form out highlighting all your costs for your living correctly. I may also suggest saving an ammount up to £1000.00 as the CPS see people that are aware that they are going to be fined, fined less for preparing it. More so than someone who offers to pay 50p a week for 9 years. So if you say on the means form you have put money aside, you should be stung less in the pocket. It shows also how you have now appreciated that you were speeding by being prepared by the punishment. You can also point out that losing your licence is hard to prepare for, but in case of further problems for speeding you have bought a fiat uno 4x4

Best of Luck
Ronaldo
Old 25 November 2000, 06:36 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ronnie,

Thanks for the reply - it does seem a bit random factor - the sentences dished out.

I need my car for the job and I have obtained a letter from the Engineering Director detailing this.

Luckily I had Legal Cover (extra £15 on insurance) which covers me for Legal Costs and they have appointed a Solicitor. I have to pay the first £100 and the VAT part of the bill.

I have filled the means test form in but its not looking good. My major outgoings are the Scooby and a Motorcycle!

The solicitor has indicated that I can expect a short ban - better get the mountain bike out then!

I've got my suit out ready for the Court appearance next week. Didn't think turning up in a No Fear 'T' shirt with the slogan "Speed Thrills!" would create the right impression!

I'm going to the Isle Of Man four times next year! They have a totally different attitude to speeding - limits rigidly enforced in built up areas but National Speed limit is unlimited.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 25 November 2000, 06:44 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidBrown:
<B>Speeding related issues almost deserve a Forum of their own..[/quote]

Good idea David........ I'll discuss it with webby.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 25 November 2000).]
Old 26 November 2000, 12:16 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just trying to shed some light on the matter. Been down the road myself with speeding. Like 6 times. Learnt my lesson now.

R
Old 26 November 2000, 02:48 PM
Marky
Scooby Newbie

I was caught speeding, (91 in a 40) and was handed a 60 day ban and £235 fine and costs. This was beyond my wildest dreams as I was expecting much more. So it will go down to how the man behind the desk is feeling on the day. WEAR A SUIT
Old 26 November 2000, 03:16 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was chased by a blue subaru police car on a country road.I was unaware he was a police car and he gave me no indication that he was i just thought he was someone trying to race, I put the boot down for about three miles reaching speeds well in exess of 100mph, then he finnally put his flashing lights on concealed in the grill.He said he had zapped me on a hand held camera 4 miles down the road doing 85mph in a60 zone.He gave me a £40 fine and 3 points.But why did he entice me like this and not just pull me over as soon as he caught me up.I was lucky not to get more but I think he knew he was in the wrong for goading me, cant understand how thier minds operate can you?
Old 28 November 2000, 01:35 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

buddy,

Wonder if he wanted to have a "play" and was using this as a possible excuse, should one ever be needed? Plod likes Scoobs too, but has to set an example, y'know, how frustrating! :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 29 November 2000, 04:24 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've Been to Skipton Court this morning (98 in a 60).

And the verdict is:-

6 Points
£500 Fine
£55 Court Costs
No Ban

Not sure if I'd have been better with a short ban and no points? What sort of effect would a ban have on future insurance costs?

I'd heard that the Magistrates are supposed to knock a point off for pleading Guilty - but the Solicitor said this is not the case.

Strange experience - the Magistrates say absolutely nothing other than read out the Sentence. They were away for ages considering the verdict - the Solicitor came across eventually and said they were probably having a tea break!

Cheers,

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian E (edited 29 November 2000).]
Old 29 November 2000, 05:26 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Its better than a ban.
Not the best result but could of been worst!

Old 29 November 2000, 05:39 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

perhaps you wore the wrong suit ?
Old 29 November 2000, 05:45 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Rebecca,

You're probably right - I'll take it back to Next and see if they'll give me a refund to put towards my speeding fine!

Cheers,

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian E (edited 29 November 2000).]
Old 29 November 2000, 05:53 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Ian,

commiserations anyway .... and you have my sympathy .... after all most of us could probably say .... there but for the grace of God ....