ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Think i was caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 07:00 PM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think i was caught speeding

As above,doing 38 in 30 on a straight road come to slight bend in road and theres a mobile speed camera.
Braked but he's probaly had by then.

Before you do gooders start,i've got a clean licence and it was a laspe of concentration as i was talkin to the wife!
I know there was a thread on here recently about speeding and some1 give a web site for the checks the police need to do before they can do you,if someone could give me that site so i can get some info on the subject.

The annoying thing is, its doesnt matter whether i was legal,had a license,tax mot,insured,or a terriost!!! The fact that i was going was over the speed limit by 8MPH i'll get done-where's the justice in that!!!
Old 21 May 2007, 07:13 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

i got done doing the same 38mph in a 30mph it was one off those roads that goes 40mph and then back too 30mph. i got 3 points and £60 fine which is fine i suppose even if it was only 8mph over,fact is its now off my licence but insurance companys want to know about it for 5 years which really pi$$es me off.
most speed cameras are just a money making tool for the police and insurance companys. (except the ones outside schools etc...)
Old 21 May 2007, 07:31 PM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

I agree with you mac but this was a sunday evening!! How can they say it about safety, im more worried about someone breaking it to my house (or garage for my car)

Seems like the police were out in force yesterday in south wales-why to catch bank robbers,rapists,terriosts-no to catch everyday people with the worry and stresses of life creeping over the speed limit.

And the police wonder why they arent liked???? WELL TAKE A GUESS MR PLOD.........

Rant over-well sort of
Old 21 May 2007, 07:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 38 a child would be dead if they ran out in front of you, at 30 they may live.

Don't try to get off by saying it was a lapse of Concentration as that is then Without Due Care & Attention.

My wife was done doing 36 in a 30 - I was mad then as she is always really careful about speed ...... result? She does 30 in a 30 - fine worked!!

It's your first - it hasn't happened yet - take it like a man and pay attention next time
Old 21 May 2007, 07:39 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

You may have got away with it, depends on the county as to how much you are allowed. Staffordshire is 9MPH apparantly. I took a girl to the cinema last night who used to work in the Ticket office! and I was quizzing her on ways out of it! Something in your favour is.. the ONLY way you can get out of it is if they can not prove if it was you or your wife driving... this is bacause you cannot testify against your spouse in court.. they have to rip up the ticket! Plus if your speedo was reading 38 it may have been 35/36 which should be ok..

good luck!

but i suppose the only way out is not to speed! we have all done it tho....

Leon
Old 21 May 2007, 08:25 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

My missus got the mandatory 3 + £60 for doing 32 in a 30 two years ago,work that one out.
Old 21 May 2007, 09:13 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3v3
My missus got the mandatory 3 + £60 for doing 32 in a 30 two years ago,work that one out.
god thats a bit extreme isnt it?
Old 21 May 2007, 09:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
At 38 a child would be dead if they ran out in front of you, at 30 they may live.

Don't try to get off by saying it was a lapse of Concentration as that is then Without Due Care & Attention.

My wife was done doing 36 in a 30 - I was mad then as she is always really careful about speed ...... result? She does 30 in a 30 - fine worked!!

It's your first - it hasn't happened yet - take it like a man and pay attention next time
80% of stats are made up on the spot
Old 21 May 2007, 09:21 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

I thought that they allowed something like plus 10% of the speed which makes it at least 33mph before you can be convicted.
Old 21 May 2007, 09:36 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Yeah guys, they do normally,but not on this morning they never, the bastids
Old 21 May 2007, 09:50 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

just see what comes in the post, no point pulling your hair out if they dont do anything.
you might be lucky mate
Old 21 May 2007, 09:54 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

have to agree with ps lewis i'm afraid
Old 21 May 2007, 09:56 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

32?

speedometer error allows you 10% of the speed limit +2 so 35mph is the bear minimum anyone can be prosecuted at.............
thats government and crown prosecution guidelines.

if you would have fought it it would have gone nowhere. not that it helps you now
Old 21 May 2007, 10:05 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

speedometer error allows you 10% of the speed limit +2
Popular misconception - your speedo can overread by 10%, but cannot underread.

Therefore, if you were doing a genuine 30mph, your speedo could show anything from 30 to 33mph.
A genuine 32mph could therefore be up to 35mph indicated.

As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to place the threshold for speed cameras above the speed limit, but I think most forces do give a bit of leaway - simply because otherwise they'd pretty much fine everyone who passed the camera!!
Old 21 May 2007, 11:16 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The 10% +2 is as you say guidelines. No one has to follow guidelines. In law you can be prosecuted for doing 30.01mph in a 30 limit (assuming you could get a device certified to read that accurately).
Old 21 May 2007, 11:51 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

ACPO guidelines state +10%+2mph, i.e. a camera in a 30mph zone would be calibrated to flash at 35mph actual speed. Given that most speedo's overread by 5-10% then you would typically have to be travelling at an indicated 36-39mph to be caught.
Not all forces follow the ACPO guidelines (I don't think Northants do, for example) but most do.
Most insurance co's no longer weight premiums for 3 points on speeding. Also some forces will permit you to take a 'speed awareness course' for minor speeding, instead of the fine and points.
Old 21 May 2007, 11:53 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

32?

speedometer error allows you 10% of the speed limit +2 so 35mph is the bear minimum anyone can be prosecuted at.............
thats government and crown prosecution guidelines.

if you would have fought it it would have gone nowhere. not that it helps you now
Bollocks - HTH

To the thread starter - If you were doing 38 in a 30 and you were caught then take the points like a man. If it was a lapse in concentration then you were driving without due care and attention - now that's sommat you don't want points for
Old 22 May 2007, 06:38 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Little bit harsh getting points for an indicated 38 IMHO. I'd fight it, ask for details of the equipment, can't remember who's driving, you require the photo etc, etc. Pop over to Pepipoo.
Old 22 May 2007, 06:38 AM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

Yes i was speedin yes i was wrong. But when i was young i was told about the dangers of the road i wouldnt be playin on them.
Nowadays tho its always the drivers fault! What happened to the STOP,LOOK AND LISTEN way of crossin roads
Old 22 May 2007, 06:39 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
Popular misconception - your speedo can overread by 10%, but cannot underread.

Therefore, if you were doing a genuine 30mph, your speedo could show anything from 30 to 33mph.
A genuine 32mph could therefore be up to 35mph indicated.

As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to place the threshold for speed cameras above the speed limit, but I think most forces do give a bit of leaway - simply because otherwise they'd pretty much fine everyone who passed the camera!!
correct but you would not get done at 32mph its just not possible. or shouldnt be.
due to the restrictions on the speedometer errors
Old 22 May 2007, 06:41 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
The 10% +2 is as you say guidelines. No one has to follow guidelines. In law you can be prosecuted for doing 30.01mph in a 30 limit (assuming you could get a device certified to read that accurately).
true, but they dont have anything that accurate, but, im only a cop what do i know
Old 22 May 2007, 08:46 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ODSSOCKS41
Yes i was speedin yes i was wrong. But when i was young i was told about the dangers of the road i wouldnt be playin on them.
Nowadays tho its always the drivers fault! What happened to the STOP,LOOK AND LISTEN way of crossin roads
Your answer beggars belief .......

You are the grown up

You are in charge of a 1 Ton moving lump of steel

You were speeding

You would KILL a child if they were (as they are known to do) run out to get to the Ice Cream Van or to collect their football from the 'make believe' Wembley Grandstand

You seem to not want to accept that you were in the wrong

.............. and it's the 5 year old childs fault????

You were the driver of a speeding vehicle ... I've got some shocking news for you - IT WAS YOUR FAULT!!
Old 22 May 2007, 06:11 PM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

Your answer beggars belief .......

You are the grown up

You are in charge of a 1 Ton moving lump of steel

You were speeding

You would KILL a child if they were (as they are known to do) run out to get to the Ice Cream Van or to collect their football from the 'make believe' Wembley Grandstand

You seem to not want to accept that you were in the wrong

.............. and it's the 5 year old childs fault????

You were the driver of a speeding vehicle ... I've got some shocking news for you - IT WAS YOUR FAULT!!

Have you ever gone over the speed limit?

As i said i was in the wrong and im humble enough to admit that are you??????

By the way I DIDNT HIT A CHILD!
Old 22 May 2007, 06:12 PM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Little bit harsh getting points for an indicated 38 IMHO. I'd fight it, ask for details of the equipment, can't remember who's driving, you require the photo etc, etc. Pop over to Pepipoo.
Cheers for info mate i'll have a look at pepipoo
Old 22 May 2007, 06:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Monkeyboy - you live in totally fifferent world to me. I know of at least 2 people who were done for 32 in a 30. Their speedos may have read 32 or far more, but at the end of the day they were speeding by 2 mph. As previously stated in this thread, if you are doing 30.01mph youare speeding and technically can be prosecuted for it!
Old 22 May 2007, 06:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ODSSOCKS41
Have you ever gone over the speed limit?
Yes, I have and served my time for it .............. but I'm not the one here bleeting about it am I?
Old 22 May 2007, 06:49 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong, or whether you were or were not a danger, the fact is that the law at that part of the road was a 30 limit, and you admitted yourself that you were doing 38. In effect you're complaining that you got CAUGHT!

I've had my fair share of speeding convictions and court appearances to fight them and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that in the eyes of the law there are no grey areas like 'speedo error' or 'I was talking to my wife' etc. I'm as anti-speed cameras as just about anyone you'll meet. But the simple fact is that either you broke the law or you didn't, simple as that. It's not the court's job, and it certainly isn't that of the police, to debate whether a speed limit is correct and justified.

So it's pretty simple. You broke the law, you got caught, you even admitted the offence on this public forum. Therefore there is no other option than to take the punishment and learn from it. If you hadn't admitted doing it, perhaps there would have been other options open to you like casting doubt on the evidence of speeding etc.
Old 22 May 2007, 07:43 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyboy840
correct but you would not get done at 32mph its just not possible. or shouldnt be.
due to the restrictions on the speedometer errors
I can assure you it was 32 in a 30,
i asked for the proof they sent it me,the police were opperating on a "zero tolerance" Basis that week= 3 points and a £60 fine.
Old 22 May 2007, 07:47 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Yes, I have and served my time for it .............. but I'm not the one here bleeting about it am I?
What, PSLewis speeding??? Nah, not having that mate, I think your just trying to fit in wid da youf!!! Seriously though, if you get caught speeding, bend over and take it like a man - you aint gonna have a leg to stand on now that you've shouted it from the rooftops anyway, not when mr dibble has just seen your post anyway I personally think you've been a very naughty boy, nobody on here speeds.....ever!!!
Old 22 May 2007, 08:15 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyboy840
have to agree with ps lewis i'm afraid
And I have to agree with monkeyboy840 I'm afraid!!

You were almost 27% over the speed limit.

I'm sure we've all done it, so we can't preach, but I personally stick to speed limits in towns and villages and I am extra vigilant with my speedo. 30mph limits are there for a reason.....coz there are houses. Houses = kids and old people, etc, etc.

Just accept your punishment and learn from it.

Last edited by martyrobertsdj; 22 May 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Think i was caught speeding