Sponsored by:

Problems after 1 week of ownership on 06 Spec-C

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 06:55 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after 1 week of ownership on 06 Spec-C

Last week I was so happy that I have finally got my MY06 Spec C, so much better than others car that I drove. I will post some pics later this week.

However only after one week I have found some issus.

1. My rear passenger side suspension has devleoped a knocking noise, car has only done 7k miles, sounds like the suspension is lose. I tried to get to the suspension and tight the bolts up but I cant remove the seats and got no idea how to get to it. Can somone guide me how to get to the rear supsension.

2. The car seems to only boost to 0.6-0.7 bar (got a Defi gauge), doesnt sound right to me? What should the standard boost be on these new Sti? Is sonething wrong, cant imagine the turbo is dead after 7k..
Old 12 May 2007, 06:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car remapped?
If its not then its knocked the multiplier back to stop det, only 2 ways to reset it, disconnect your battery for a while or have it reset on a pc with the right software.
You could take it back to where you got it about the suspension (where was that?)

Tony
Old 12 May 2007, 06:59 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ek9/sti
Last week I was so happy that I have finally got my MY06 Spec C, so much better than others car that I drove. I will post some pics later this week.

However only after one week I have found some issus.

1. My rear passenger side suspension has devleoped a knocking noise, car has only done 7k miles, sounds like the suspension is lose. I tried to get to the suspension and tight the bolts up but I cant remove the seats and got no idea how to get to it. Can somone guide me how to get to the rear supsension.

2. The car seems to only boost to 0.6-0.7 bar (got a Defi gauge), doesnt sound right to me? What should the standard boost be on these new Sti? Is sonething wrong, cant imagine the turbo is dead after 7k..
If its been mapped it may be on a dual map, one low boost, one high boost. I think its full throttle and rear defog to switch? Sure someone will confirm.

Mark
Old 12 May 2007, 06:59 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

The suspension is likely to be the strut. It is well documented on here and many including myself have had the same problem. I resolved mine by binning it and getting the Type 25 suspension set fitted at Powerstation.

I would say on the boost you should be seeing around 1.1/1.2 bar when on boost.

HTH.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:17 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have to say my MY06 Spec C has had exemplary rear suspension over 10k miles so it does not affect all cars.

Removing the rear seat is a doddle.

The main seat squab has two fixing points (where the back of your calves would be if you were sitting in the back seat). Once these two bolts are undone lift up the front of the squab and that should release it. If not there is a 'hook' which is at the centre of the squab in directly between the fixings for the rear central lap belt. Once the squab is loose it is easy to put your hand in and release it.

Then you undo the three bolts for the seat back and it is out.

You now have clear access to the strut tops.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:29 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Car has just arrived from Jpan, so I dont think is mapped (unless its done in Japan). I initially thought it could be a lose boost pipe may be soemthign to do with boost gague, but cant find any lose hose. Might just try disconnetting the battery method.

I will take it back to the importer about the suspension, is it ok to drive for now, becasue I am like 200 miles away.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:31 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
The suspension is likely to be the strut. It is well documented on here and many including myself have had the same problem. I resolved mine by binning it and getting the Type 25 suspension set fitted at Powerstation.

I would say on the boost you should be seeing around 1.1/1.2 bar when on boost.

HTH.
How much did that set you back, did your supplier not willing to replace them?

If this is a common problem, how come Subaru has not rectify this when devleoping the new model.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It is a common issue, lots of people on here report the issue. Some even report that they have gone through several sets of replacement struts
Old 12 May 2007, 07:56 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Is your car remapped?
If its not then its knocked the multiplier back to stop det, only 2 ways to reset it, disconnect your battery for a while or have it reset on a pc with the right software.
You could take it back to where you got it about the suspension (where was that?)

Tony
hey Tony,

Does this work on new Stis, I thought the disconnecting battery method only works on classic car.

Have you tried it on newer cars?
Old 12 May 2007, 08:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

hey Tony,

Does this work on new Stis, I thought the disconnecting battery method only works on classic car.

Have you tried it on newer cars?
It just resets the ECU back to its factory settings, though you can run the car on super unleaded, id advise also adding octane booster if you want it to run at its correct setting though even then it can knock it back
Classics also had the option of doing the manual reset with the plugs, this isnt available on a new age
And have I tried it? 3 years of running a Spec C and yes it works fine (also running on the factory map )

Tony
Old 12 May 2007, 08:33 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

How much did that set you back, did your supplier not willing to replace them?

If this is a common problem, how come Subaru has not rectify this when devleoping the new model.
Mine developed the symptoms after 2 1/2 years and over 20k miles on the clock. It was a JDM import with one year warranty. As posted above people have gone through numerous suspension parts trying to get it corrected. So I thought fu$& it and went for the suspension package which is stage 3 below;

PowerStation

The JDM STi OEM set up I found was unsuitable for our UK roads and felt too unsettled.
Old 12 May 2007, 08:54 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

ECU will be expecting 100RON fuel and as such has probably backed the ignition right off due to detecting det because of lower octane fuel. What fuel are you running it BTW? You should either get it remapped or start using using booster IMO.

Last edited by MrRA; 13 May 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12 May 2007, 09:35 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MrRA
ECU will be expecting 1000RON fuel and as such has probably backed the ignition right off due to detecting det because of lower octane fuel. What fuel are you running it BTW? You should either get it remapped or start using using booster IMO.
1000RON
Old 12 May 2007, 10:25 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

sorry if u have checked this mate but make sure your have checked your jack in the boots because it sounds the same as failing suspension .thought mine was going till u removed the jack.
Old 13 May 2007, 03:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Surely the importer will sort this out if almost new

TX.
Old 13 May 2007, 04:23 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
1000RON
Wouldn't that be something!

One zero too many me thinks.
Old 13 May 2007, 07:10 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Surely the importer will sort this out if almost new

TX.
I am sure they will, well I am hoping they will but I just thought if is something minor that I can sort out myself then it saves 200 miles trip back
Old 13 May 2007, 07:16 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
It just resets the ECU back to its factory settings, though you can run the car on super unleaded, id advise also adding octane booster if you want it to run at its correct setting though even then it can knock it back
Classics also had the option of doing the manual reset with the plugs, this isnt available on a new age
And have I tried it? 3 years of running a Spec C and yes it works fine (also running on the factory map )

Tony
Reseting the ecu hasnt work, went out today and still only boosting 0.7bar max.

Are there any boost pipes I should check that it might have come lose?
Because I always hear this "sizzling Air" leaking noise when start boosting, but I always just thought is the turbo spooling up (lack of sound proof ).

Also tried to look into the engine bay but its so packed and cant find the boost pipe
Old 13 May 2007, 07:27 PM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

The car seems to only boost to 0.6-0.7 bar (got a Defi gauge), doesnt sound right to me?
My bugeye was only boosting to 0.6, turned out to be a dodgy MAF sensor, replacing it sorted it out. Best speak to your dealer about it, they're close to £250 fron Subaru
Old 13 May 2007, 08:32 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

I would check the boost pipe to your DEFI... these can leak..

Maybe tee'd into the Dump valve vacuum pipe, and also check the hose is secure on your sender.

I am looking to reset my ECU as it has picked up a retardation from some crappy V-power.
Mike Wood ( Prodrive) reckons that ECU issues may resolve themselves over time on decent fuel or a reset is required.. Never heard of battery off method..other options include £50 leads (OBDII and ECU program 'shorting' lead) from the US and free software or dealer... Dealer wants £30, Scoobyclinic wants that +vat
Old 13 May 2007, 09:04 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MICAWRX
I would check the boost pipe to your DEFI... these can leak..

Maybe tee'd into the Dump valve vacuum pipe, and also check the hose is secure on your sender.

I am looking to reset my ECU as it has picked up a retardation from some crappy V-power.
Mike Wood ( Prodrive) reckons that ECU issues may resolve themselves over time on decent fuel or a reset is required.. Never heard of battery off method..other options include £50 leads (OBDII and ECU program 'shorting' lead) from the US and free software or dealer... Dealer wants £30, Scoobyclinic wants that +vat
I thought about the boost pipe as well, but these scooby engine are new to me. Can you point to me where I can find the boost pipe.
Old 14 May 2007, 11:17 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You tried the technical forum here fella? They're a bunch of Scooby eggheads over there ...

TX.
Old 15 May 2007, 04:50 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

yeah had the same suspension problem aswell after 10k and now it has happened again at 18k miles, still under warranty but not sure how it will get sorted once and for all even after the warranty has expired!
Old 15 May 2007, 11:04 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
You tried the technical forum here fella? They're a bunch of Scooby eggheads over there ...

TX.
Will do thanks!!
Old 15 May 2007, 11:05 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickeyWRX
yeah had the same suspension problem aswell after 10k and now it has happened again at 18k miles, still under warranty but not sure how it will get sorted once and for all even after the warranty has expired!

Cant belive such a common probelm and Subaru has not done anything to correct it on their newer cars