Sponsored by:

Over Protective Owners/Scoobyfever

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2000, 12:29 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

OK Flame suit on but I'm getting a bit tired of all the Scoobys are the greatest cars in the world thread. Sure they are good but some of our Scoob Bretheren need to be a bit more balanced. Although we have scoob as our current car we've had others in the past and will buy differnt in the future. Some points of note, I think

M5 is a good car. No doubt.

So is Porsche 911. Expensive but good

Evo is a great car(not so great looking to me but I recognise a pedigree for what it is).

Scooby is a good fun car with great engine and handling and price. This does not mean any of the above points are not true !!!

Not all BMW drivers have an attitude, perhaps some of us need to look in the mirror when it comes to narrow mindedness.

Regards & Chill Out
Cammy

BTW I think that new Ford Focus also sounds like a good laugh to drive and it'll probably look OK too.
Old 27 November 2000, 12:35 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

They're not, nor are they even near to being, the "greatest" cars in the world.

I don't care what is or may be.

I love mine to bits though. Best car/customer service I have ever been able to afford to drive.

Chaqun a son gout as the AUDI adverts say.
Old 27 November 2000, 12:37 AM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The best thing about a sbaru and evo is that they are wihin reach financially of the woking man and not just for the rich.My point is that we can have a taste of porsche bmw ferrari power at a fraction of the price.This is why we all have scooby fever I am on my 2nd scoob and before that i had a corsa gsi 16v, a good little car at the time, i never thought of owning a scoob, but now it is has happened,thanks to subaru and mitsubshi for bringing these cars to within our reach
Buddy, (A mere plasterer from burnley)
Old 27 November 2000, 12:39 AM
buddy
Scooby Regular

oops spell check needed!!!
Old 27 November 2000, 12:42 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree entirely, when it comes time to change cars I'm sure most of us don't just look at Subarus.
All I need is something like a lottery win, then I'd have a Ferrari 360, 911 Turbo, Nobel M12 and maybe still a Scooby.
For the money the Impreza was (in my opinion)the best car I could get, however, I know lots of people who disagree, and it is their choice, if thee car does what they want then I am happy for them.
(I'm off to lay down now, that's two rants in one morning)
Old 27 November 2000, 12:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sorry camk you are wrong!

Scoobys are the best cars in the world - even the non-turbo variants. Mine in particular is the best of the lot!

This is the gospel according to Paul.

Old 27 November 2000, 12:44 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Paul,
Thats right and your the worlds best lover too ;o)

Cammy
Old 27 November 2000, 12:46 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Buddy,
The problem these days for the common man doesn't seem to be buying the car its paying the insurance and fuel bills.

Cammy
Old 27 November 2000, 12:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cammy - You are right of course. When did i sleep with you and do you still have the scars to prove it?

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 27 November 2000).]
Old 27 November 2000, 12:54 AM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Cammy

I bought my Scooby after nine years on Bikes and two Audi’s (one was an 80 Sport the other a Quattro). I looked at a FTO (because I liked the looks and interior, so don’t start……….OK?) but had a go in a Scooby, which initially dismissed because of insurance. I liked it so much I got one and dealt with the insurance after I had bought it (so there was no backing out).

I haven’t ridden my bike (ZZR) since, because the Scooby is just as fast in the real world,it grips and I can afford one, which is just like the bike but the car has a heater, CD player and you don’t get wet.

When I have enough money for a M5 I still wont buy one. At around the 40 – 50 grand new I would rather get something in red with a prancing horse and a 355 badge (second hand of course)…sod the running costs

Yee
Old 27 November 2000, 01:10 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Yee,
What kind of Quattro I almost(within a whisker) bought an Audi Coupe(s2 or 4 can't remember). I eventually didn't as some people warned about repair/maintenance costs, in the end I got a scoob wagon(Sti) but it also cost a fortune to maintain but was much more practical(baby onboard). Anyway here's to better cars in the future.

Cammy

PS Can I just warn you on 355 maintenance costs ;o)
Old 27 November 2000, 01:23 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cammy,

Interesting post this one...are there just too many sports variants of BMW's and Merc's in Germany for you to resist

I agree with most people here that a car is a personal choice, if I wanted a good looking car I would never own a Scooby But my RB5 has 4 doors, a large enough boot to get a few sets of gold clubs in and enough grip and pace for level of driving ability. The best part of Scooby ownership is the ability to blow away, or at least keep annoyingly close to cars costing the wrong side of £75,000...the owners faces can be described as a mix of pain, frustration, amazement and down right jealousy

I'll keep enjoying the car and the club for what it is, a great car pound for pound with a good bunch of people to exchanges views and opinions (occassionally abuse ) with...until September next year when I go back to front engine rear wheel drive German engineering, couldn't resist it forever

Yex
Old 27 November 2000, 01:50 PM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

It's horses for courses - I live half a mile from the public road, and on the top of the hills in rural Berkshire. I need to know I can get out of a morning. I also drive 20,000 miles a year and am now on my 4th Scooby (3 Imprezas, 1 Legacy). No, you would never buy an Impreza for it's good looks but I can't see it when I'm in it...........
Old 27 November 2000, 03:01 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one who actually quite likes the looks of the scooby?
Old 27 November 2000, 03:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

No Matt you are not the only one. I think that the Scoob looks butch and has an aggressive stance. i like the slightly flared arches, scoops and air intakes.

Works for me.
Old 27 November 2000, 03:25 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I think the newer ones look smarter but my wife hates it. What does she know anyway ;o).
Old 27 November 2000, 03:37 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Cant say im over impressed with the new impreza but i think it will be a car which will grow on me and others.The new evo7 is along the same lines in comparison no strikingly good looking but a car you will get to like
Bud,
Old 27 November 2000, 03:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Cammy, I see from your profile you are in Germany, where abouts? and do you know of any companies like Prodrive and Scoobysport in Germany that I can get in touch with. I live near Stuttgart. I have a MY00 Impreza Turbo and am interested in tweaking it a bit.... regards, Steve
Old 27 November 2000, 04:02 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wurz,
I'm not so far away in Frankfurt(easier to Drive than walk that distance), all the local stuff seems to be German oriented(as you'd expect). There must be a Scooby dealer locally as there are a good few Impreza's/Legacies around although I've only spotted 2 Turbos in 6 months !!! I heard an advert on radio for MY01 Scooby being available from tommorrow I think. Do you have left or Right hand drive, are you and car originally from the UK ? I left mine in the UK as it would never get a TUV and insurance only lasts 45 days.

Cammy
Old 27 November 2000, 04:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Cammy, Mine is a left hooker as I bought it here in June. I went to the Launch party at my local dealer on Saturday of the New Impreza and am taking it out for a test drive sometime this week. I have looked around for parts but there doesn't seem to be the demand for them over here, I haven't even seen the Gold wheels anywhere.

Steve
Old 27 November 2000, 04:18 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wurz,
Word of warning, German fully comp insurance is crap, if you have a prang and they deem your driving to be crap you get nothing... thats why its much cheaper than the UK. All they need do is invoke Gross Negligence clause and go to court to get the cash back. Never leave the car unlocked either as they won't pay either...they are ruthless with it.

Cammy
Old 27 November 2000, 04:34 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cammy, Cheaper than the UK, Ehm let me think about that one! I have been driving for 11 years have a clean license (just) have 7 years no claims and am paying 3,666DM For fully Comp insurance which seems abit steep to me. Do you have a car here? when they explained that I needed 3rd party just to get on the road then had to add on the fully comp option, I argued that I only wanted fully comp and not 3rd party they told me that I had to have both, what a rip off. I also think this give way to the right rule is F**k&+g dangerous aswell.

Steve
Old 27 November 2000, 05:09 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

First the Yanks, now the Germans, we are being invaded.......

Welcome anyhow, but beware, too much nonsense and you'll end up in the Muppet Forum

Scoobies rule......well, for 21k anyhow
Old 27 November 2000, 07:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Scoobies have done exactly what the Peugeot 205 GTI did ten years ago - bought performance motoring into the reach of the 'normal man' (or woman). For that reason alone, they should be applauded. They are great cars that, performance wise, can compete with other cars costing considerably more.

Obviously cars like this will attract dedicated and enthusiastic owners. I dare say you would get similar attitudes to this from owners of Evo's / Cossies etc. This is afterall, a Subaru board, so you are hardly likely to get balanced impartial arguements all the time.

Cammy - chill out yourself and don't worry so much

Chris
Old 28 November 2000, 12:07 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cammy,

I agree entirely with your post. I find those sorts of blinkered posts pretty tiring nowadays too. A lot of people do seem to have difficulty accepting that the scoob is not the best thing on 4 wheels - maybe just because they've never actually driven anything better?

I still think that on the whole though, this is a great site, which is why I keep visiting it, even though I don't drive a scoob myself any more, and almost certainly won't be buying another one. In fact after my test drive on Saturday, I'll probably soon be driving a BMW M-Coupe (unless I decide a Boxster S or 911 is really worth 50% more). No doubt lots of people here would be shaking their head (with no danger of dislodging blinkers though ) at the thought of such a decision!

Gary.
Old 28 November 2000, 12:47 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice one Gary if you don't try the others then we'll never know how good what we have is. I'd like to know what we all drove before we had scoobies, it should be mandatory that we all have previous/present cars in our profile. Then we could see the dark and murky pasts ;o). Best of luck on the test drive, although that M-Coupes not much of a looker but I bet it drives great,a bit like my old girlfriend ;o)
I'm not sure 911 is worth the money either to be honest, have had one for 6 months and I've got a 523i as well that was less than half the price of the 911 with all the same options and its certainly a better Motorway cruise/drive and I actually prefer it. I think 535/40 would be perfect car on reflection. Again I thought 911 is something of a must have on your car CV but..... The biggest disappointment I had was that it wasn't the same jump up from Scooby to 911 that I felt moving from a Golf GTi to the Scooby, especially in driveability & acceleration, plus everyone sneers at you when your filling up with petrol in Porker.
BMW also just finished well above Porsche in a recent Engineering/Technical ability survey in Germany so size helps in Engineering capability in this case.
Let me know what you go for in the end and more importantly why !!!!!

Cheers
Cammy
Old 28 November 2000, 12:52 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

The Subaru is a great all round car for the price and running costs and will give most super cars a run for there money and still carry 4 people and have a usable boot but there are better cars out there. still love the car though.

Darren.
Old 28 November 2000, 08:59 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Chris,
I agree with you 100%. The 205 argument is also a good comparison, but that doesn't make Golf GTi's or XR2's crap in comparison to the Pug(historically speaking of course).
Maybe I prefer a more balanced approach as my view is that cars in general are a good subject and I respect the opinion of people who buy scoobs as they have made a good choice so past performance can elude to good future descisions. However as I said after 2 years of ownership I know the good and bad sides of the Scoob.
I just don't like the Black and White view that we sometimes see that BMW's are crap Scoobies are great. Surely its not too much to ask
In fact its no better than Audi Scooby killer's crap input from the past but just reversed. Anyway no big deal just that yesterday almost every thread had this type of thing in it and I'm being protective of the board content as its one of my favorite sites and I don't want it to go down the my Exhaust is bigger than yours route.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 28 November 2000, 01:00 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

And we ALL KNOW what I have to say on the subject!!!!!!

Shaun
Old 28 November 2000, 01:19 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cheers Cammy. You're right the M Coupe is no looker, especially in photographs, but see the thing in the flesh from close up, and from a lot of angles it has some very nice lines. I turned up for the test drive expecting not to like the car, but in the end came away very impressed, even though traffic conditions (and me not wanting to drive like an idiot in an unfamiliar car) meant I didn't push it hard. Subjective build quality and quality of cabin is superb, the 3.2 M-Power engine probably the best engine I've ever experienced, brakes super sharp, gearchange really tight and precise. The only thing I didn't really like was the steering was a bit slow. The dealer is lending me the car for an unaccompanied extended test drive next week. I'm also testing the Honda S2000 at the weekend and the Boxster S and Porsche 993 next week, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Gary.