Sponsored by:

How many Rear Fog Light To55ers

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2000, 12:04 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Glad it is not just me it upsets then. Had a taxi with its rear fog light on sitting in front of me yesterday, when he dropped the passenger off I went past him and checked back, to see if they had front fog lights (which they dont).
I do find that those people (term used loosely) who drive around with their front fogs on normally drive so close to the back of my car (me doing 30 or less in 30 limit) that I can't see their headlights, never mind the fog lights, so maybe having them on reduces braking distances, I can only hope if I ever have to break in a hurry, or it will be the first time I have had fog lights on in my Scooby.
NB no fog in the 5 months so far.
Old 24 November 2000, 12:13 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I agree with Sunil - Central Croydon does appear to be worse than other areas - no idea why. There's only one thing worse than the fog lights and that's no lights at all!

Had a dozy s*d behind me last night for miles who had no lights on and very few people (if any) flashed him - very strange.

Chris

Old 24 November 2000, 08:57 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Angry

Last 7pm ish night I went to see my kids in Bromley Kent, from home near Wimbledon, not far about 15 miles, dark, wet, but no fog, mist or spray cos we were not going fast enough.

How many Rear Fog Light To55ers did I get stuck behind ??

9 of the stupid sods.

about time PC Plod did something about it.

Barge
Old 24 November 2000, 09:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Could not agree more.

Come on police - this is an easy one to sort out - bust a few and publicize the fact.

While you are at it

Motorway lane discipline

red light jumpers - nearly got written off by one this week!

it is not just people speeding that causes problems.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 09:55 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Some brake lights on new cars are extremely bright - so much so that they look like foglights.

I have ben ranting and raving about front and rear foglights and how many morons out there drive with them on all the time - so I won't jump on my soapbox.

The people who really get on my goat are the ones who drive with just their foglights on, in the dark! Now what sort of total idiot does that !!?!?!

Old 24 November 2000, 11:22 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Some people seem to have no idea how little visibility 100m is - as soon as it starts raining, on come the fog lights. You can still see the best part of half a mile, and some stupid sod, often an older citizen, puts his blinding red light on thinking he's a super safe driver. Honestly.....
Old 24 November 2000, 11:26 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

Barge, i sympathise, i only put my rear fogs on deliberately (other than extremely foggy weather) when i come across all these tossers who think that a bit of rain or a pose factor allows them sensible use of front fogs in central croydon traffic....saab, renault and bmw drivers being the worst. The most annoying time was some bird in a ford capri 2.8 special sitting behind me half the way home with FULL BEAM on!

Sunil
Old 24 November 2000, 11:26 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

hutton_d

and

c) foglights to be wired to motion sensor that switches them off once a speed where they can't possibly be required is exceeded.

ie. you don't need fog lights if the conditions allow you to drive around at 50 odd or whatever speed "Old Bill" deems sensible.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:31 AM
ChrisB

I find the worst culprits for having front fogs on (other than Kevin in his souped up Saxo 1.1) are middle aged people in their Megane mini-bus, sorry People Carriers or MPV.

Chris.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:35 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

They're every where, i was driving through Barnet/Potters bar last night and there were at least ten of them

My missus says I should become the new Victor Meldrew because I moaned my **** off about them.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:40 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Bizarrely though, on the missus's car (it's a Saxo) it's not possible to turn the rear fog light on without turning the front ones on. I think it's often useful to put the rear fog light on when there's a lot of spray on the motorway (when you realize that you *can't* see people's normal tail lights through the spray) but I wouldn't want the front ones on.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:52 AM
M@TT
Scooby Regular

Angry

Counted at least 15 last night and worst of all there was a big accident on the A12 near Colchester and we all had to shove ourselves into the crash barrier or nearly off the road for the emergency services.

The bloke behind - no engine running with full beam and fog lights on !!!!!!

After ten minutes and one migrain later had to get out and ask him politely to turn them off ! what an @RSEHOLE - he did but without apology or thinking that it was wrong.

btw clear night no fog/rain mist etc etc ....
Old 24 November 2000, 11:56 AM
M@TT
Scooby Regular

Just to say I am a convert from my 17-18 year old days when I did used to drive around with the foggies on - that was until I was fined £20 for the privelage. I have been swearing at other foglightbankers for years now and the plod seem to just accept it

Thank you for letting me get on my soapbox - the missus is sick of me sayin look at that foglight banker !

I can almost forgive younger drivers but anyone over 20 - get a life or some glasses if you can;t see that far !
Old 24 November 2000, 01:05 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Croydon was the worst last night, especialy the Mitcham Common road. I was behind Kevin & Perry in their Xr2wicked, not only were they fog light using, but they thought their POS had more right on the road than anyone else, especialy that flash git behind them in his immpprezzaaa [me], still words were exchanged at the Lombard roundabout, and they went off going to get all their mates so they could sort me out. Which made me laugh, they got even more upset when I offered to wait for them, so they let me off with a warning and a big 1 front wheel burn out.

Old 24 November 2000, 01:28 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't know if this will help but i traveled up from Oxford lastnight to Dundee at around 9pm.
As soon as i hit Birmingham on M6 there was slight fog , and it increased rapidly from Preston up to 45 miles south of Glasgow with very thick fog.
They should be aware of the conditions yes - if its not foggy don't use them. I got to go for around 100 miles with my front fogs on all the way! First time i'd really used them
Old 24 November 2000, 01:44 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If you ever get stuck behind a rear fog light to55er on an empty road, esspecially on a country road. Leave your main beams on.

Following someone for miles, looking at rear fog lights is f*cking annoying, so get some revenge. Either they soon realise and switch them off, or they get out and smack you one. But in a scooby they would have to catch you first.
Old 24 November 2000, 01:50 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

>> or they get out and smack you one. But in a scooby they would have to catch you first.[/B][/QUOTE]

The mood I was in with the Ex wife and then Kevin & perry last night, I was all up for some of it, so were they until they realised that they had a 5' 8" cubed Essex boy come south London major p155ed off nut case coming in their direction.

Old 24 November 2000, 04:33 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

There was a big accident yesterday morning on the Mitcham Road and the plod were pulling loads of people on Beddington Lane....lucky for me they let me go past with my "creative" numberplate and lack of seat belt!

Croydon is bad, equally so are idiots who cover my route to work through Wallington, Carshalton & Sutton, once i get to Epsom its a different breed. These lot then dont even look where they are going and forget the laws of approaching roundabouts and how to sensibly merge lanes.

The funnies bunch of tossers are the puffs at Driftbridge Audi who think they rule the road with their Audi TT convertibles and Golf V6 4 motions and dont even say thanks when you let them out of their premises

Now Lewisham, thats another story..................
Old 24 November 2000, 08:37 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Barge
LOL ....if you get stuck behind a Scoob in Croydon with a "creative" number plate you know what to do....

I seem to have taken over the mantle of Victor Meldrew as i've got older....
Remedies for misuse of fogs:

In front of you, rear fogs on - 360w of main beam and PIAA drive lamps and watch their bootlid paint bubble...

Behind you, front fogs/main beam on - BUGGER - no good remedy, cyclops rear fog lamp on Scoob useless...accelerator usually works

Coming the other way, front fogs on.....Crocodile Dundee style - call those front fogs - THIS is what you call front fogs....oops i've got so absent minded since I converted them to PIAA drive lamps with 120w bulbs....

I have to state I do not condone such revengeful reckless behaviour, it is only what I have heard other people do....

Sunlip - perhaps the Crapri behind you had main beam on because you were driving like an old tart as usual and holding his 20 year old car up....

PS - what about the cretins that sit in a traffic queue in front of you with their foot on the brake - at night- in the rain - thus burning your eyes out with their high level high intensity brake light OI FECKING TOSSERS THE HANDBRAKE IS THAT STICKY THING BETWEEN THE SEATS OK?

Ha! That's better - got that lot off my chest!

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 10:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Barje,

'Cubed'?

P.
Old 26 November 2000, 08:26 AM
330sapp
Scooby Regular

The prblem with sitting behind someone with your main beam and spots to get revenge on the guy (well, usually a woman) in front with fogs on is that they will have NO idea as to why youve got your lights on full. In fact theyre probably so brain dead that they dont even realise that youve got youre full beam on at all!!!

I had a woman follow me for miles on a motorway with her main beam on. It was made worse because it was a poorly lit section of road and no amount of me turning my lights on and off and flashing my rear fog would make her realise she had her lights on full. I slowed and let her past and sat behind her (not up her a.rse) and switched my main beam on for a minute and then flashed them at her a couple of times thinking that shed get the hint. She slowed down and i over took her again. As i went past she looked at me out of the corner of her eye like she thought i was going to start a full on road rage attack!!!! Needless to say when i got in front of her she still had full beam on.....tssssshhhhh......

I just floored it and put some serious distance between us

bren
Old 26 November 2000, 12:51 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Agree with most of the comments, but with someone behind on full beam/fogs, can't you just change the rear view mirror to the dimmed setting? Or am I missing something?

Now, what about those cars with ultra strong halogen lamps that dazzle you even on dipped beam? Hmm, maybe need to do a pimp impersonation and get my windows tinted
Old 26 November 2000, 07:21 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Angry

Another way of giving them some of their own medicine is to turn your internal mirror so it points straight backwards and blinds them. Sometimes works if they drop back but they mainly just shift sideways and blind you via side mirrors until you turn those back at them.

One problem is that cars aren't used to a lot of weight in back and headlights become searchlights (taxis are favourites with a crowd on back seat). Also there's quite a few sheds round here with shafted suspensions which have same effect.
Old 26 November 2000, 07:38 PM
gizmo71
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thought I'd seen it all but just came home along the A414 3 cars back from some plonker who was going along in the dark with no head or tail lights and just his/her hazards on... which he/she turned off after getting the "you've go no lights on you plonker!" flash from oncoming traffic for the <I>n</I>th time.
Old 27 November 2000, 11:09 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Gizmo71

Bet the car with no lights on but just hazards and with a very worrying, not very secure load on the roof, was the same one that was doing about 40 mph and clogging up the A12 yesterday!

And on a completely different subject, given all the events going on over the weekend, and that I haven't seen any other Scoobs for weeks, this weekend on my trip London/Suffolk and back again ... I saw 4 .... are Scoobs getting too common now (that was controversial wasn't it)
Old 28 November 2000, 09:29 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

I hate fogs, but I cant help but remember how annoyed we all were when one of us was given a fixed penalty for driving with his fogs on (by mistake admittedly).

Are we being a bit hypocritcal????????
Old 28 November 2000, 02:10 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I still feel if a Scooby, BMW, Ford & Vauxhall were all going along with their Fog lights on, front or rear then PC Plod would pull the Scooby before any of the others.

I have even been pulled [Whilst parked if that the term to use] down at Brighton seafront with the Wife & Kids in the car whilst the Nova/Astra/Ford boys etc were playing silly sods on a Saturday night, when I asked why, [Remember I'm 34] I was told it was the type of car and that they would be dealing with the others later.

I must have been the catalyst egging everyone on by being parked. NOT