Speed Camera Spotting vs. Road Reading and Observation

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2001, 01:26 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

mutant_matt's post got me thinking...

As drivers I would like to think that we all keep our eyes peeled and are generally pretty good at observation (of course in practice this probably is not the case :-/ ).

I wonder how much time is used trying to pick out speed cameras and mobile traps rather than concentrating on the road, where our thoughts should be?

The cameras/traps must make drivers less aware of the surroundings as they try to pick out the traps before they hit them as everyone is so damn scared of loosing their license due to revenue generators, oh, erm, sorry... 'safety' devices.

I wonder if any research has been done and more to the point I wonder if any accidents have happened purely due to the driver looking out for speed traps?

What are your thoughts?

M
Old 19 December 2001, 01:42 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Matt,
The obvious reply is that you shouldn't be going over the speed limit so looking out for cameras shouldn't be the main part of your observation.
However, I have to agree that it does distract people but what is worse are the pepole that are already travelling below the speed limit applying their brakes every time they pass one and slowing the rest of the traffic down even further

Andy
Old 19 December 2001, 01:53 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll repost

[Edited due to missing the point & being in a hurry to go out ]

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 12/19/2001 1:55:23 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 01:57 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

True Andy... you shouldn't be going over the speed limit, i.e. it won't matter that they are there but people do look out for them and do slow down as you've pointed out.

Still, look on the bright side... if and when they decide to use Catseye camera's we'll all be fine cos we won't be able to see em

M
Old 19 December 2001, 01:58 PM
joy
Scooby Newbie

an arguement against your 'not concentrating the road'is that there could be a kid (or more likely a deer around here)stepping out onto the road

road awareness includes the sides and seeing that bit of straight about 2 miles ahead but over on the right which means you'll be on boost at the right time & ready to get past the grandad in the maseratti who slows right down on any corner
Old 19 December 2001, 02:00 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Someone my mate knows was caught at 32 in a 30. Got a FPN.

She now drives everywhere at or just below the speed limit (no matter what the conditions)

This policy is bananas. It does not educate drivers about what causes accidents, i.e. bad driving.

Can someone answer me this?

Fred Bloggs has held a driving license for 10 years and has 2 speeding convictions. He drives everywhere at the limit and constantluy watches his speedo. He is driving down a residential road at 20 MPH and fails to spot the childs feet in between two parked cars. When he is 10 feet from the cars the child steps into the road.

What happens next?

Joe Bloggs has held a driving license for 10 years and has 2 speeding convictions. He is also an advnaced driver. He is driving down the same residential road at 30MPH. He spots the child's feet and slows his car to a snails pace. The child stpes into the road and Joe is able to safely stop in the distance he can see to be clear.

For the sake of this illustration, who is the safest driver?

Discuss.
Old 19 December 2001, 02:34 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

indeed... good example, of course the 30mph guy is the safest.

current policy is making a country of dangerous drivers purely because people are more aware of their speed than surroundings.

the government think we are all mugs who don't have a brain. people are generally not stupid and will drive at sensible speeds, even if there are no limits. Is it really worth penalising people for being 2mph over the limit?

M
Old 19 December 2001, 02:48 PM
2WD James
Scooby Regular

they have to paint all speed camera's yellow now, if the revenue form them goes to the police.
Old 19 December 2001, 03:08 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

<into flame suit>
How about a stupid children camera that spots children who quite clearly have no respect for the roads and the dangers they present. If they are caught doing something stupid on the road, a notice could be sent to their parents telling them that their children need educating about the roads.

When I was a child, I knew that if I played on the road or wasn't careful and sensible when crossing etc, I would be in for a major b*llocking if my parents found out. Nowadays, it seems that the roads are just an extension of the playground.

I could go on into a full rant, but I shall try and hold back and stop right now
Old 19 December 2001, 03:27 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

The thing about painting them yellow only applies to new cameras. Also, it's a voluntary scheme. The Norfolk (Suffolk?) Police have decided to paint cameras dark blue (arguably making them harder to spot).
Old 19 December 2001, 03:33 PM
ChrisB

Jerome, all the existing cameras around me (ie they've been up for years) have had bright yellow strips applied to the back of them.
Old 19 December 2001, 03:49 PM
Sadman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

So if the answer to not looking out for all the speed cameras is to always drive below the speed limit, can anyone tell me how the hell you're going to see anything on the road at all if your eyes are glued to your speedo the whole time?!!!!

Of course you wouldn't have this problem with a head-up display.

Anyone got a second-hand Tornado for sale?
Old 19 December 2001, 04:04 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

SWRTWannabe,

Good point. The vast majority of pedestrians whoare knocked over and killed are over the legal drink drive limit.

Vehicles are for roads and pedestrians are for pavements. If I knock down and kill a pedestrian because they choose to cross a poorly lit road in dark clothing, its very sad and no doubt traumatic but I wouldn't hold myself responsible.

People need to take responsibility for their OWN actions.

Jay-walking should be a crime. School cycling proficiency schemes should be re-introducted.

The bottom line is, of course, education. Something that a camera can never do.
Old 19 December 2001, 04:07 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Angry

devils_ad69 - I don't have kids so I'm not too in touch with what they teach at schools these days, but have they really dropped the cycling proficiency schemes? I took those when I was at school and thought they were great as they really taught you a bit of road sense.

Do schools still teach the green cross code (or equivalent)? I hope they do - it would be nothing short of stupidity if they don't.
Old 19 December 2001, 04:15 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SWRTWannabe,

I've certainly not heard of anythign in the local area about Cycling Proficiency for years....

Green Cross Code is an absolute must. My little one isn't old enough for school yet so am not sure but I cannot believe ANYONE could justify scrapping the GCC scheme. But you never know!

Old 19 December 2001, 04:59 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My son did Cycling Proficiency 18 mths ago in Surrey. Perhaps it should just be advertised a bit more.
Old 19 December 2001, 06:08 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Smile

Brendan,

Glad to hear it!
Old 19 December 2001, 06:18 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

DA,
The bottom line is, of course, education. Something that a camera can never do.
Sadly this won't make any money so won't see the light of day....

But, just perhaps, if enough people complain about this current trend to their MP, then there is *just* a chance that the bottom feeders of Whitehall *may* just have to change their stance....

So, get writing people, it won't change if we don't do anything about it (oh, and join the ABD too)....

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 12/19/2001 6:18:55 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 06:28 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

mutant_matt,

Agree 100% with what you say. However, it is one thing to sit and moan about something and then to follow it up with letters to the authorities.

I've got my MP's email address, phone number and fax number, plus that of the local paper. I am ALWAYS writing to SOMEONE about SOMETHING.

Come on, people, get your fingers out of your a** and DO SOMETHING!
If not, the Government will just say they are following the will of the people because people don't complain then Governemtn annoucnes new initives! (like speed cameras!)