Sponsored by:

Average speed check..

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 11:45 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average speed check..

So recently they've installed bloody average speed check cameras along the A14 in Cambridge, along the section I just so happen to use to get to/from work. The most irritating thing is I work shifts, so coming home at 2am with nobody on the road at 60/70 is a bit soul destroying.

Anyway, my brother was telling me that apparently average speed check cameras only work if you remain in the same lane as you were first clocked in. So, if you go through the first camera on the inside lane and then go through the last camera on the outside lane, they won't recognise you. Apparently it's because the cameras at the end only monitor one lane each and look for specific numberplates on those lanes. This is apparently why you often get 'no lane changing' markings on average speed checks at road works etc.

Anybody know if there's any truth in this? I've seen a few people hurtling along average speed checks at easily double the speed limit, and always wondered whether they know something I don't, or whether they're stupid enough to think average speed check is the same as a speed camera..

/edit - woopsey just realised this should probably be in non-scooby related! Move plz?

Last edited by Probein; 10 May 2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Top Gear mentioned this too. It could well be true. I hope it is

Try it tomorrow and let us know.

If it is true, you can bet the Government is throwing money at a company to get round this.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:09 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

not sure if it is true when there are two cameras. one camera can only cover one lane. it can be tricky to tell which lane it is though!

5t.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:21 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Think they can monitor you if you change lanes, but the equipment is only certified if you stay in one lane. Therefore they may try and bring a prosecution, but you will be able to get it quashed on the grounds that it doesnt have Home Office approval for that circumstance
Old 10 May 2007, 12:44 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The SPECS cameras look a bit flimsy to me. Look like they'd blow away in a strong wind

<back from daydreaming>

If it's approved or not, I'd not take the p*ss too much, whatever the situation. If you're spotted doing NSL +too much, too many times, they'll lie in wait for you one day in a Patrol car and then you''d be knackered.

J.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:59 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

this is true, but not due to a technological problem IIRC. Just that the cameras haven't been legally signed off to monitor traffic across multiple lanes or something like that. They will no doubt get signed off and that loophole will be closed, and I wouldn't want to be the one to find out when.

They're not live on the A14 yet -or I would be banned by now ;-) but are due to go live later this month apparently.

It will be good to see how little they do to prevent foreign artic drivers from crashing into eachother and falling asleep etc.... My betting is that they will very slightly reduce accidents (I base this on last nights experience when the Artics found it very easy to pull into the right lane as they no longer have to deal with big speed differentials from the rest of the traffic) but the payback is that the average speed on that road at all times will now be 60 as there will nearly always be an artic in the outside lane.

I too found it very annoying going home after 19:00 to see an empty road but being restricted by everyone adhering to the pathetic 70 limit.
Old 10 May 2007, 07:14 PM
Flash 1
Scooby Regular

They need to educate the ***** that sit there doing 50mph in their cars on a 70mph road, then the lorry comes along trying to pass them at the legal speed of 56mph f---ks me right off every day same old crap.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:41 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of those have still got plastic bags over them!
Got a nasty feeling that Gatsos and Truvelos will be replaced by Specs as a matter of course as the former get old?
JohnD
Old 10 May 2007, 10:46 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

well the specs on the M1 have done 25500 people so nobody obviously knows what Average Speed means, as i see them all slowing down at the camera and then speeding up again ! lol

As i understand it, they can work across lanes, but it may not be enforceable though, dont take my word on it though !
Old 10 May 2007, 10:52 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

For those who are bothered by the A14 ones - There are now SPECS covering the A47 for the Dereham bypass. They've been installed to cover the current roadworks there, but I have feelings that they may be "forgotten" about and left up when the roadworks are finished.

Just so those who may drive occassionally in the area know
Old 11 May 2007, 12:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Time for Joe Public UK to "lose" his front numberplate on a regular basis? Yet again, cameras that can't catch bikes are the preferred ones

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2007, 08:08 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

They have to be used according to their type approval this means that

1) They have to be used in pairs eg if there are gantries ABC speed is measured twice over AB and BC not AC
2) They have to be used in lane
3) The cameras have to be over or adjancent to the lane being monitored. This means that gantries placed on the hard shoulder can't monitor the outside lane on a 3 lane motorway.

So yes ensuring you change lanes after each camera will void any speed measurement.
Old 11 May 2007, 09:26 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Alternatively... if it's not a motorway..tootle along at the prescribed speed limit, then belt along at whatever speed you so desire, then just out of sight of the second camera (you'll probably need an accurate gps location) slow down to something like 1mph and crawl upto it
Old 12 May 2007, 09:46 AM
JayR
Scooby Newbie

I seem to recall some of my mates racing around on there bike on the french toll roads, they just stop for a *** and a swig before the next toll to make sure they didnt have there average speed checked between each toll..
Old 12 May 2007, 01:41 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL yes that cursed stretch of the A14 it makes me sick to think that it's such a slow road anyway and they want to make it ever worse. The *******s. Here's what to do - drive whatever speed you want to keep the traffic moving. Stop off at the 'Cambridge Services' which are nowhere near Cambridge, have a bite to eat and a go on the arcades then you can go as fast as you want again up to the next set of cameras at Bar Hill/St Ives depending which way you're going.