Sponsored by:

End of an era: Had to use Vpower today

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 09:44 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy End of an era: Had to use Vpower today

After 7 years of Impreza ownership, I've been able to run on 95Ron without problems, no effect on mpg, np effect on day to day performance (1000 to 4000rpm ) and only marginal effect on peak bhp @6000+rpm.

Now I own a car (monaro) that states it can also run on 95Ron. However, It pinks under load at low rpm. Not good seeing the manual states it can run on 91Ron minimum (I checked, it is RON, not PON ), yet its having problems on 95ron, oh dear.

So I've had to resort in using V-power (whatever octane that is) to see if that reduces the problem (it could have been poor fuel before; it was a petrol station in the sticks).

I was not impressed that the £ display on the pump went up as fast as the litres display (99.9p per litre )

I will not be happy if I find the feejit previous owner remapped it for high octane fuel; remapping is fine, remapping for expensive fuel and making it impossible to run on normal fuel without damage is another thing entirely.

Oh well,thats progress for you: At least its almost as good on fuel as the scoob (20mpg vs. 21mpg in town )

oops, maybe this should be in OM..oh well; don't care

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 May 2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10 May 2007, 09:54 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

95 for the win
Old 10 May 2007, 10:02 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

hmm, which model monaro did you get and any chance of some pics???

Old 10 May 2007, 10:55 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

VXR 6.0

I'm still half decided if I actually prefer the older non-vxr models - as they were alot more dicreet (and had a decent sized boot), this one gets a wee bit too much attention as a daily driver for my liking

Only got the one pic taken with a phone atm: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...lib/monaro.jpg

The perfectionist that I am, its in need of some severe detailing to get it back to (or better than) showroom, so I'll get more pics done when I finally get round to making start on it.
Old 10 May 2007, 11:02 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try using bp ultimate see how ya get on
Old 10 May 2007, 11:07 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Once I sorted with root cause of the pinking, it'll be running on 95ron; Like it should be able to

May have to trust it to a Vauxhall dealership to rectify the cuase if it turns out to be something that requires warrantee rectification (shudder at the thought).
Old 10 May 2007, 11:07 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

need some engine ****

tasty
Old 10 May 2007, 11:26 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

So you buy a performance car, but can't afford an extra £250 (based on 20mpg/10000miles a year) for decent fuel?
Thats less than 70p a day!

Last edited by Gear Head; 10 May 2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10 May 2007, 11:46 AM
V7C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
try using bp ultimate see how ya get on

I wouldn't bother
Old 10 May 2007, 12:42 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
So you buy a performance car, but can't afford an extra £250 (based on 20mpg/10000miles a year) for decent fuel?
Upshot is though that it shouldn't be pinking on 95RON, if it is then it indicates a problem (MAF sensor? ). Running it on V-Power is just masking the problem rather than fixing it so shouldn't be the long term answer.
Old 10 May 2007, 01:38 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The early Monaros look rubbish compared to the 'nostril' bonneted later models!
Old 10 May 2007, 01:41 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

De doo ron ron ron de doo ron ron etc.
Old 10 May 2007, 03:19 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

What has the average increase of V Power got to be over using 95 when filling up? My guess would be around the £3-£4 mark. The cost of a McDonalds

It amazes me how many people buy a performance car and then moan about the cost of petrol

Simple answer, go and buy a diesel or a small cc petrol instead!
Old 10 May 2007, 04:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
What has the average increase of V Power got to be over using 95 when filling up? My guess would be around the £3-£4 mark. The cost of a McDonalds

It amazes me how many people buy a performance car and then moan about the cost of petrol

Simple answer, go and buy a diesel or a small cc petrol instead!
Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Whats the point of using a more expensive fuel in a daily driver that is perfectly able to run on cheaper stuff (well, excpet mine), when your not taking any advantage of it when stuck to doing 30mph in a urban area/driving in peak hours etc?

If it can run on 95Ron (which it should), then that saved £4.20 a week/70p a day will go towards buying me my lunch, thank you

Of course, over a year or duration of ownership, that mounts up to a sizeable chunk that could go towards other things, thus making it more feasible to run. I don't reallly want to drive a diesel VW Lupo everyday. So its part of what is known as managing ones finances, which, if done right means one can can justify to run a giant red ***** substitute everyday Yes money isn't overly tight, but on the same level I don't have wads to flash and burn either (thank the insurance for that ).

An interesting footnote on the subject of running cost, is its only 2 to 3mpg down on the Impreza in similar driving conditions. Something I just cannot get my head around Proabably due to lean running thats causing the det.

Anyway, thanks for the defence guys. I've been out on a errand earlier and its also pinking on 99Ron, so its not the fuel octane (unless that was another duff batch) Either that or that fearful pinking sound is not detonation and something else (something metallic loose/vibrating).

Already done basic checks on AFR fault codes etc, so it's going need in depth investigation.....

Oh well, plus point of the day is the central locking has started working properly (ozzy build quality, love it )
Old 10 May 2007, 05:40 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

A rattly heat shield can cause a 'pinking-like' sound, especially as sometimes it needs engine load to make it rattle...
Old 13 May 2007, 05:46 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking it could be tinny mufflers/thinned walled exhaust tubing. Seeing its still fairly new it wouldn't have much carbon built up on them yet to quieten them down.

Anyhoo:

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
The early Monaros look rubbish compared to the 'nostril' bonneted later models!
I disagree: I happened on this earlier and made me realise how clean and uncluttered the non-nostril version was....

Rear end is much better without the lexus lights and afterthought-foglamp. Tempted to sort this one out, sell it and buy an older model and mod it. Best of both worlds; a huge boot (unlike the current one), discreetish looks and the oomph.

Each to their own.

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 May 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 13 May 2007, 05:52 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
After 7 years of Impreza ownership, I've been able to run on 95Ron without problems, no effect on mpg, np effect on day to day performance (1000 to 4000rpm ) and only marginal effect on peak bhp @6000+rpm.

Now I own a car (monaro) that states it can also run on 95Ron. However, It pinks under load at low rpm. Not good seeing the manual states it can run on 91Ron minimum (I checked, it is RON, not PON ), yet its having problems on 95ron, oh dear.

So I've had to resort in using V-power (whatever octane that is) to see if that reduces the problem (it could have been poor fuel before; it was a petrol station in the sticks).

I was not impressed that the £ display on the pump went up as fast as the litres display (99.9p per litre )

I will not be happy if I find the feejit previous owner remapped it for high octane fuel; remapping is fine, remapping for expensive fuel and making it impossible to run on normal fuel without damage is another thing entirely.

Oh well,thats progress for you: At least its almost as good on fuel as the scoob (20mpg vs. 21mpg in town )

oops, maybe this should be in OM..oh well; don't care

99.9p a litre - is that all

I paid 103.9p / L yesterday.Not happy - a 30 mile round trip as well.

Think i'm going to use Tesco 99 a bit more,cheaper and only a 20 mile round trip.Do prefer V Power and will use it when possible but not prepared to travel that far any longer
Old 13 May 2007, 07:16 PM
turbodan
Scooby Regular

You are whinging about an extra few pence a litre, but at the same time bought a 6.0L car?
Old 13 May 2007, 08:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, I am - I do need to cover the daily running costs somehow .....Saying that, it's only 2 mpg worse than the Impreza was though in the same driving conditions, despite the engine being 3 times larger in volume.
Old 13 May 2007, 09:05 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
VXR 6.0

I'm still half decided if I actually prefer the older non-vxr models - as they were alot more dicreet (and had a decent sized boot), this one gets a wee bit too much attention as a daily driver for my liking

Only got the one pic taken with a phone atm: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...lib/monaro.jpg

The perfectionist that I am, its in need of some severe detailing to get it back to (or better than) showroom, so I'll get more pics done when I finally get round to making start on it.

Sub zero Sharkie.
Old 13 May 2007, 09:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Has anybody had their std Scoob on a rolling road running V power to see what bhp difference it makes. Seem to recall 14bhp from 5th gear.
Old 14 May 2007, 11:11 AM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Has anybody had their std Scoob on a rolling road running V power to see what bhp difference it makes. Seem to recall 14bhp from 5th gear.

Features - Fifth Gear
Old 14 May 2007, 12:20 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler-Wrx
cheers matie.
Old 14 May 2007, 12:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, thanks for the defence guys. I've been out on a errand earlier and its also pinking on 99Ron, so its not the fuel octane (unless that was another duff batch) Either that or that fearful pinking sound is not detonation and something else (something metallic loose/vibrating).

You need to find someone with a set of det cans to confirm if it's actually det.
Now, if you were anywhere near Romford..........

JohnD