Sponsored by:

JDM Xenons VS Morrette ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2007, 12:32 PM
Sii
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Xenons VS Morrette ?

Just purchased a 2003 JDM spec STI which has had a Morrette headlamp conversion. Has anyone done this to their car? I was wondering why you would get rid of Xenons to put in a set of non Xenon lamps? Having never had a scoob before I dont know what the lamps are like at night to compare! But having driven other stuff with Xenons I feel that they were always better than a regular halogen bulb.

Thoughts please (or even better first hand experience)
Old 08 May 2007, 01:31 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

You could get HIDs from the group buy for the dips in your Morettes and have the best of both worlds. All you need is the correct bulb type for the Morettes.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:40 PM
Sii
Scooby Newbie

Tell me more? I wonder how much of the wiring has been changed to put in the morrette's? You must need the original wires to power the hid's? More power needed and all that? Whats the score with the group buy?
Old 08 May 2007, 02:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i had a uk300 prior to my current JDM - the difference between the lights is like chalk and cheeze with the HID's obviously being far better.

I guess they were changed due to personal preference but i have never been a fan of Morrette's myself.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:02 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Hi, is your car a blobeye or bugeye? I have done the conversion to morrettes on my blobeye and there is no changes to be done to the wiring, as they come with a wiring harness for each light unit. I have found that there isn't much if any difference in light output between the 2 although you could up grade the lamps. Hope this helps.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:38 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

HID kit is designed to fit whatever bulb type you have. I've got an ordinary blobeye so my dips are H1 so I just ordered an H1 kit. The HID bulb bases match whatever bulb type you want and fit in the existing holes. Wiring picks up ditto for the connections specific to the bulb you order with or without the recommended wiring harness (which I used). Info on wiring and hiding ballasts all available if you read through the group buy.
Old 09 May 2007, 09:59 AM
Sii
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=scotthldr;6905211]Hi, is your car a blobeye or bugeye?

My car is a blob eye. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression there would have to be different wiring for hid's due to the fact that they need more power to run them? I was concerned that perhaps the original hid wiring may have been removed to fit the morrette's?

Could you put a link on for me with regard to the group buy?

Any more info/help welcome. Many thanks.
Old 09 May 2007, 11:49 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Don't know how to do links. Just go to Group Buys on the menu on this forum and set you view criteria to more than 2 days and you'll find it "HID group buy". HIDs run at 35w compared with filament bulbs 55w so actually use less current. There is a switch on surge which is why the relay harness is advisable but not essential. Pretty easy to fit anyway and it comes free with the rest of the kit.
Old 09 May 2007, 04:58 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Not sure about HID power consumption, but when I installed the Morrettes I didn't have to change any of the wiring. You could look at the possibility of fitting PIAA driving lights in where the fog lights sit?? i think these are wired up to the full beam
Old 09 May 2007, 06:11 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

I used to have a JDM classic with a couple of sick glow-worms masquerading as headlights. These were changed for a set of Morrettes, which gave a tremendous improvement. I now have a JDM bugeye which came with projector type, HID dipped beam, supplemented by normal full beam bulbs. Not surprisingly, comparing the two light sets, the HIDs are better on dip, but the Morrettes are slightly better on high beam. So, if you spend a lot of time on unpopulated back roads go for Morrettes, otherwise the original lamps are fine.