Sponsored by:

new guy here with question

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2007, 04:21 PM
noobie_subie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy here with question

it's been a while since I've gotten to write iabout subies, since i've been busy with school and such. here is my question and sorry ahead of time if it sounds stupid..

I was originally going to get an 07 2.5i impreza coming up but with some research and stuff.. I Might be going for an older wrx/sti the impreza with turbo. now with these cars do they come with a bov and i've heard some really nice subies drive around that LOOK stock where you can hear the bov pretty good. do you have to upgrade the turbo or anything just to hear that bov or what is needed , or can it still be heard with stock turbo..? any info is appreciated. thanks guys.

Vrrrrr.. tshh!
Old 27 April 2007, 04:27 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Get yer flame suit on fella!

Atmospheric tsssssh dump valves are baaaaad. Particularly on later cars. If you like the noise, fair enough but..... No performance gains confused & f**ked up MAF, overfuelling, thinning oil......

The stock ones are recirculating. Efficient and what the engine management is designed to run with. Unfortunately matey i'm afraid recirculating also means quiet
Old 27 April 2007, 04:45 PM
noobie_subie
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mwilliams
Get yer flame suit on fella!

Atmospheric tsssssh dump valves are baaaaad. Particularly on later cars. If you like the noise, fair enough but..... No performance gains confused & f**ked up MAF, overfuelling, thinning oil......

The stock ones are recirculating. Efficient and what the engine management is designed to run with. Unfortunately matey i'm afraid recirculating also means quiet
alright. thanks i'm not just really interested in the noise i was just wondering if it was able to be heard on stock turbos. im new to subies and turbos in general as right now I don't own one. I drive a modded 99 solara and am part of a different forum but am looking purchase a subaru impreza/wrx/sti within a year or so , so im tryin to get as much information as I can before doing so.
Old 27 April 2007, 04:54 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep it simple............... YES
Old 27 April 2007, 05:09 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate don't think I explained properly there. The dump valve and the turbo are two totally seperate parts. If you fit an atmospheric BOV alongside a standard or indeed an upgraded turbo it will be a very audible tsssh. How loud depends on the brand/model of BOV.
But you could upgrade to a massive turbo and hear almost nothing if you still have the stock recirculating valve.
As i said though, many guys on here will tell you an aftermarket atmospheric valve is bad for the MAF and engine in general, regardess of what turbo its running. Lots will also tell you they've had no probs and love the noise.