Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Coming out of bodyshop. What to check?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2000, 10:08 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

HGuys,
I guess some of you have had to use bodyshops before now, well I spose I've been lucky, cos I haven't.
The car is having the n/s rear quarter tapped out, and sprayed along with the rear bumper and a new light cluster, also on the other side a new drivers door complete.
The question is: What should I be checking when I get it back on either fri or sat.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
Old 15 November 2000, 11:30 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the panel gaps are o.k on the door and generally that everything looks pretty square, make sure you check the paintwork in good light and look for any blemishes. Especially if you have used any silicone based waxes or resin polishes on your car.
make sure the work is guaranteed and you should be o.k.
Old 16 November 2000, 12:26 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi RON,
Who are you using? Got me a nice dent and some scratches that needs sorting out and would be interested to hear who you used and if there any good.
Rich.
Old 16 November 2000, 08:39 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Look down the car (stand at front looking at rear and vice versa) and check that the lines of the panels are correct and that there are no oddities.

Also make sure that you examine the car in bright sunlight - that way you will spot differences in paint texture and colour much better.
Old 16 November 2000, 11:21 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Went through this myself a few weeks back.

I asked to be left alone with the car for half an hour so that I didn't feel under pressure to accept the repair.

First thing to check is that the car looks correct. They'd fitted the wrong rear bumper to mine which immediately stood out.

Look at panel gaps, and compare fit & alignent from side to side. My rear bumper was slightly misaligned. Also look along each side of the car, kneeling down at the front and back.

Check that there aren't any new dings on the car. The bodyshop had put a nice dent in my front wing for me ... not happy.

Make sure the car is dry before you go and look at it, as mine was rain soaked and it was virtually impossible to see the quality of the paint work. Look at it from different angles to try and catch the light on the paint so you can see how smooth it is. Quite often there will be 'orange peel' like areas which you should insist are corrected. Also run your hands over the paint to feel for imperfections and inclusions.

I got the body shop manager to outline all of the problem areas with a permanent marker so that they didn't get missed again.

Finally check for any nasty overspray around where the work had been done, and also check the interior of the car around the air vents on on top of plastic surfaces. Somehow a fine mist of spray had been sucked into my car as they moved it around the body shop leaving a fine red mist on some surfaces. It wiped off easily, but didn't look good.

Also worth taking the car for a test drive to listen for any rattles caused by badly refitted interior parts, also visually check that the trim panels haven't been damaged during removal/replacement.

Lastly, check the mileage they've put on it!

Make sure that whatever you sign to accept the repair doesn't exclude you from coming back to have any faults you find later on rectified.

Once you've got the car, look at the paint match in both sunlight and under street lamps, as on my red car one of the panels changed colour quite drastically under street lamps! Also, you can keep an eye on how well the new rear lamp & door are sealed in the rain (we are sure to have some I reckon!)

Good luck.

Andrew.
Old 16 November 2000, 11:39 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine had a little bit of engine work done on his 16 year old Porsche 928. After it had the 3 hours work done on it and was awaiting pickup, a delivery truck reversed into the car (still at the garage). This meant that it had to go to a bodyshop to have the rear section redone. While it was there someone broke into the car, dmaged the door and nicked the 16 year old stereo. End result - after getting some engine work done on the car my friend also got a brand new stereo and a new Porsche door out of the garage's insurance.

Moral of the story: Check everything - don't trust them and definitely check for new problems that were introduced while the car was at the bodyshop/garage.
Old 16 November 2000, 01:12 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi

Just to add to all the sensible comments above:

Check your windows / screens for paint contamination.

I had my bonnet re-sprayed a few months ago by a body shop in Edinburgh. They made a good job of the bonnet, but later I noticed a fine layer of paint mist on my wind screen. It made the wiper blades sound like they were dragging on sandpaper!
Took me two hours with a ball of wire wool to get it off.
Not the worst thing that could happen, I know, but it was still a pain...

Rich
Old 16 November 2000, 01:12 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Andrew very comprehensive, could you let me know who did the work. Don't currently need their services, but know a Scoob that does.

One additional comment, check the interior door panels. Had the bonnet, lights slam panel etc. replaced on an RS Sierra. It seemed perfect and was months before I noticed the door fabric on the passanger side was ruined. They must have been flatting down with the doors open and soaked the door fabric and backing.

B
Old 16 November 2000, 04:34 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Banshi. Drop me an email to
Old 26 November 2000, 04:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Just a quickie to let you know that I now have the car back, and I couldn't be happier!!!!
It only did 0.6mls while they had it, the door is perfect and the back wing is indistinguishable from new, like I said I am well chuffed.
If anyone needs a bodyshop in the Poole/Bournemouth area, mail me and I will tell you who dunn-it.
Thanks for your replies, it did help!
Ron