Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damp patch?? not what your thinking!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 03:28 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damp patch?? not what your thinking!!

I've had my scooby for a month or so, yesterday I found a mega damp patch in the boot! Can't for the life of me figure out where it's p*****g in from! Just wondering if theres any known seals (not the clubbing type) that are prone to going?? all panels are original, and no signs of pre damage. Anyone had similar probs??
Old 24 April 2007, 03:30 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

If its got a spoiler on the boot lid it may be coming in from a bolt hole, is there any sign of rusting from here?

Andy.
Old 24 April 2007, 03:30 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a water test, buts its likely to come down the gap between the rear quarter and boot lid, then in throught the rear lights. You should un-bolt the rerar lights, and re-seal them with silicone. here in the bot are you getting it? sides, middle etc?
Old 24 April 2007, 03:32 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

HI
Yeah the holes form the spoiler are a common leakage point. I just plugged up the holes with clear silicon sealant and that stopped it.

Rich
Old 24 April 2007, 03:37 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

Same here, just your spoiler letting water in! Seal it!
Old 24 April 2007, 03:44 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Great stuff, I'll seal the spoiler tonight. hopefully get rid of the wet dog smell
Old 24 April 2007, 05:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Where IS the damp patch, in relation to the boot rear, (as in the rear of the car)? At the rear of the boot says "lights".

The most likely place for water to enter is along the TOPS of the rear lights. The seal is some sort of non-setting goo, which either sets, (), or lets go because it's full of crud.

Remove rear boot trim, then undo the 5 (IIRC) nuts holding the light to the car.

Get someone to shove from inside while you pull like fek from outside to get the light off: the stuff that HASN'T gone off still grips like sh*t to blanket

On my advice, DON'T seal the light back in with silicone. If you have a prang you'd NEVER get it off again

See a car bodyshop for some proper non-setting stuff, or alternatively, visit a caravan dealer. They sell it for sealing caravan seams, it comes in a tube like silicone sealant and uses the same "gun" and costs about £4

Oh btw: I've ALSO had the seal along the back windscreen bottom let go. Water oozed in, soaked the rear parcel shelf, the rear seats, and ran into the boot. Not good, but it's sorted now

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2007, 12:40 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Where IS the damp patch, in relation to the boot rear, (as in the rear of the car)? At the rear of the boot says "lights".

The most likely place for water to enter is along the TOPS of the rear lights. The seal is some sort of non-setting goo, which either sets, (), or lets go because it's full of crud.

Remove rear boot trim, then undo the 5 (IIRC) nuts holding the light to the car.

Get someone to shove from inside while you pull like fek from outside to get the light off: the stuff that HASN'T gone off still grips like sh*t to blanket

On my advice, DON'T seal the light back in with silicone. If you have a prang you'd NEVER get it off again

See a car bodyshop for some proper non-setting stuff, or alternatively, visit a caravan dealer. They sell it for sealing caravan seams, it comes in a tube like silicone sealant and uses the same "gun" and costs about £4

Oh btw: I've ALSO had the seal along the back windscreen bottom let go. Water oozed in, soaked the rear parcel shelf, the rear seats, and ran into the boot. Not good, but it's sorted now

Alcazar
Cheers mate, checked it out last night, turns out it's not the spoiler! It's looking more like the near side lights, that's where most of the damp is, but it's spead right across the boot nearly! Good tip on the caravan sealant, cheers!!