Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

dont get the subaru sale pricing????

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2007, 04:05 PM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont get the subaru sale pricing????

ive just sold my 98 impreza (at a stupidly low price but anyway ) and am now looking for another.

it just seems that the prices vary ridiculously??? been looking for a late classic but the prices for a 98+ classic seem to go anywhere from £3.5k right up to £7k. you could even get a very good bugeye for the price that many are selling classics at.

when you check parkers price guide or wisebuyers guide they price these cars alot cheaper than what most are asking!

very strange how ones get these prices ???
Old 07 April 2007, 04:18 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

People kidding themselves basically.

7k for a vanilla classic (not an P1, RB5 or very nice Type-R or silmilar) is bonkers. IMHO.
Old 07 April 2007, 04:40 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
People kidding themselves basically.

7k for a vanilla classic (not an P1, RB5 or very nice Type-R or silmilar) is bonkers. IMHO.
Agreed unless it is of particuarly low milage.
Bug eye prices are low though just because they are not popular
Old 07 April 2007, 04:50 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

oh yes they are
Old 07 April 2007, 05:48 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaydut

oh yes they are
Ill drink to that... took me a month to find my bug eye scoob!!!
Old 07 April 2007, 06:05 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i payed 7k for my silver myoo 6months ago! and that was because the car was a minter! drives very nice and all looks in very good nic! it was from a dealer with 1 year warrenty but it dosnt look as if il need it!
could of brought a polished up peice of turd for 4 grand if i wanted but they all looked so thrashed and abused undernith there autotrader tart up!
Old 07 April 2007, 06:25 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i had a good condition MY00 for sale. loads of history and paper work for it.it had a rebuilt engine and gearbox only slightly modded upgraded brakes and a P1 wing.the cars mint but for a scabby door which i was honest about and had done for the sale.so i put it up for £4800ono.all i got was ********* and chavs offering 2 or 3 grand i was going to break it but kept it in the end glad i did
Old 07 April 2007, 07:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late Classics are more expensive than BugEyes because BugEyes are very ugly to most buyers.

The Classic is THE Impreza everyone desires.

The variation in price probably stems from the fact that a MY00 Classic could be a polished, modified, thrashed pile of crap right through to a mint One Owner Un-Modified and Fully Subaru Serviced cherished example.

Some people only have enough money for a shed - others prefer to pay what it takes to secure the best.

A £7000 MY00 Classic could well be worth more money than a MY04 thrashed model.
Old 08 April 2007, 12:03 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

^^^ Yes but if you're the owner of the 7k mint car and decide its time to sell, finding the discerning buyer is a nightmare. So many tyre kicking joy riding time wasting idiots out there that the search for the right buyer can become a seemingly endless soul destroying experience. Often the car is either let go for insulting money or the owner decides to keep it. I hate selling cars as you can tell!

I'd also like to mention, perhaps controversially, that I chose to buy my 51'reg Bug over a late classic because I preferred it. I may be in the minority there, but not alone.

So...
The Classic is THE Impreza everyone desires.
....isn't entirely accurate.
Old 08 April 2007, 12:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'm selling my late classic now, w reg 2000 model. It's just had a reconned engine from API and a 320 upgrade and various other bits and pieces. It's priced at 6495, and I 'sold' it a few weeks ago for that price, but the buyer couldn't raise the finance for it. So yes, some classics are at the high end, mine cost well over 7k since last October. But don't forget you buy a 3.5k late classic and more than likely it'll have poor history and might throw a piston a week after buying it. Considering 3k is the price for a standard rebuild, you have to tread very carefully when buying a classic.

I'd pick a classic over a bug eye anyday, I just loathe the look of bugs, and so do the majority of buyers.
Old 08 April 2007, 12:48 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

I'd pick a classic over a bug eye anyday, I just loathe the look of bugs, and so do the majority of buyers.
^^Absolutely. A majority prefer the classic, but not all.

My car needed to be as reliable, young and low mileage as possible to cope with being a working car in everyday use and I got great value for money plus very low mileage with my bug.
The 'look' is an acquired taste - bit of a marmite thing: you love it or hate it.
But, the interior is better than a classic, the build quality improved (they feel more solid) and it suits my needs perfectly.
Also I like the fact that they are rare. Obviously the people with tunnel vision on the classic being unquestionable lord and master will point out it is because Subaru themselves decided they looked c**p so didn't make them for long . Well, that may well be the case, but I like the fact that i don't see many of my car around! And lets face it the change from Bug to Blob was a minor one so it can't have been that bad!

If however, I had say a company car and wanted a second car for fun, I would look for a great example of a classic.

There have been so many classic vs newage threads. It is possible to see the appeal of both but undoubtedly the 'we love classics' voice will always be the louder one. The only undeniable downside to classic ownership is that the mint cherished examples are being seriously devalued and having their image ruined by all the a**ehole driven butchered sheds out there. The impreza enthusiast knows the difference between the two, the average Joe doesn't.
That situation will pass with the years I think as all the crap goes to the scrapyard and its the cherished ones that remain.

Enjoy what you've got (as many have said). In my opinion someone who's chosen ANY Impreza and all the insurance/fuel/tax costs that go with it deserves a .Because they could've chosen to run a mondeo or similar for far less, but chose a great drivers car instead. Hence a forum like this....
Old 08 April 2007, 12:55 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I see what you're saying. I too wanted a reliable car. I wanted a classic for my commute, so I purchased a classic which was in very good condition, fsh and a knackered engine. I built the engine to the spec I wanted at the best reputation garage I could find, and I got my reliable car.
Old 08 April 2007, 12:57 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I suppose you get what you pay for!

Oh and I like all Imprezas BUT i'd rather have a bug than a classic
Old 08 April 2007, 01:55 PM
air.mech23
Scooby Regular

The old phrase 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind with these cars.

It depends what you want and whats it worth to you to get it. To say you could get a Type r or other special edition for 7k over a nice regular classic is meaningless.

Wouldnt you rather pay more and have a mechanically sound car over a more than likely thrashed, older car with limited history?
Old 16 June 2007, 10:48 PM
sti1995
Scooby Newbie

I have a 1995 sti 2 for sale if anyones interested??