Sponsored by:

strange noise, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2007, 08:32 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise, please help

Well, I've had my 05 sti ppp for almost 3 month and I had a few small problems, and while most were fixed, I have a rattle which seems to persist.

I'll try to describe it as well as I can and what has been done to fix it, maybe someone has some good sugestion as it really gives me headaches

After having the car for like 3 weeks I noticed that there was a rattle when the engine was cold. This happened between 2500 -3000 rpm and seem to come from the front of the car. I have also noticed that while cold, the exhaust sounds a bit weird, almost like it would have a small hole, but it is maybe just a rattle. When warm is gone, or very very faint.

Took the car back to the place where I bought it, and in the afternoon when I picked it up I was told that the up-pipe was loose and it is fixed now. And it was true, no rattle at 2500 rpm, however the strange exhaus note in the morning is still there.

After driving the car for 1 more moth suddenly I noticed that there is again a kind of scratchy noise, again at around 2700-3100 rpm, coming from around the engine bay. So off to garage again.
When I pick up the car, I was told that they found smth wrong with the exhaust and it is fixed. Well, it was not. In fact the car doesn't make any strange noises when cold, but it does while warm-up and when warm all the time, so it is really bad and starts to drive me crazy . The noise only happens when I accelerate a bit harder, but defenetively not full throttle, just a normal driving and sound again differently than the previous noises I had. The noise is much stronger when cold, but even fully warmed up it is there. I am a bit worried that maybe it is the turbo, but the car seems to go fast and well. It happens from 2500 rpm and I can hear it even at around 4000 rpm, I'm not sure afterwards as the engine&exhaust makes a lot of noise by then.

Sorry for the long post, I had to cry out
Old 03 April 2007, 09:35 PM
ciderhead
Scooby Regular

Dont know if its any help but i also had a similar problem with my 02 sti . Its hard to describe is'nt it sounds like something thats spinning is brushing against something tinny ( sorry for spelling ) and it always does it when the engine is cold at around 2700-3000 rpm.

After doing a search on here i found that its quite a common problem and to do with the heat shield around the turbo and downpipe .

This only started to happen when i had installed my cat pipes etc so i must of disturbed the heat shield in the process
Old 03 April 2007, 10:01 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ciderhead
Dont know if its any help but i also had a similar problem with my 02 sti . Its hard to describe is'nt it sounds like something thats spinning is brushing against something tinny ( sorry for spelling ) and it always does it when the engine is cold at around 2700-3000 rpm.

After doing a search on here i found that its quite a common problem and to do with the heat shield around the turbo and downpipe .

This only started to happen when i had installed my cat pipes etc so i must of disturbed the heat shield in the process
I don't think it is that, as I have no heatshiled. Seems that after the PPP it was never refitted. I have the noise only when engine is warm or getting warmed up.
Old 04 April 2007, 08:29 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

btt, anyone ?