Sponsored by:

speeding oops

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 10:16 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speeding oops

this morning i think i may have been cought for speeding by one of those big transit vans

the thing is the blacked out windows that they have where not open, so i was just thinking will the laser work though a closed black out window?

it did look like they just got there, and i was thinking maybe they hadn`t set the camera up and opened the window yet?

what do u guyes think?

just for the record i was just over the speed limit, i was not trying to smash any land speed records lol so it would only be 3 points and i have a clean licence anyway.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:34 AM
klunker
Scooby Regular

Just over?
You should be fine for +10% unless its Derbyshire as they are a bit stricter I think.

Unless you were performing a safe overtaking procedure as this is the only valid reason for briefly going over the speed limit.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:35 AM
Billy7766
Scooby Newbie

Hate to tell you this but I got done last Jan by one of those f*ckers with the blacked out windows. They sent me some snaps in the post with the fine though, so at least I could show them off to my mates! My adive is to check the local police's website, see where the vans were and what they were up to, normally it'll say something like "live" or "dummy" (at least that's what the Yorkshire rozzers do)
Old 30 March 2007, 12:08 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I think we all go through this at some point but the trick is not to worry about it. Its quite normal to have points these days. I have wondered many times if I have fallen foul of these vans. F**k em, the money grabbing barstools. I don't think the laser works through dark glass anyway.
Old 30 March 2007, 12:16 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If the laser didn't work through blacked out windows, I think they'd probably open the windows first!
Old 30 March 2007, 12:23 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

had a look at the local polices web site, but they dont seem to tell me where they mobile cameras have been

but thanks for the info ppl
Old 30 March 2007, 12:24 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billy7766
My adive is to check the local police's website
does every local police station have its own website? if so how would i find out how to get mine?
Old 30 March 2007, 02:14 PM
mcw
Scooby Newbie

What did the van say on the side ?

If it was a plain van then it could have been an anpr (automatic number plate recognition) van. These do not record speed, they just check the casr number against the police computer and intel computers. It flags up stolen, uninsured, no tax, drug dealers etc. etc.
Old 30 March 2007, 02:23 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY WHAT MCW SAID. YOU GOT TWO WEEKS TO SWEAT
Old 30 March 2007, 02:35 PM
mcw
Scooby Newbie

sorry, more than that - 21 days for an NIP to drop through your letter box
Old 30 March 2007, 02:43 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY WHAT MCW SAID. YOU GOT TWO WEEKS TO SWEAT
I thought the 2 week notice or no prosecution method was a myth.
Old 30 March 2007, 03:14 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by klunker
Unless you were performing a safe overtaking procedure as this is the only valid reason for briefly going over the speed limit.
Wrong I'm afraid. A police man may let you off but the limit is the limit on roads and anything over it is breaking the law. Everyone does it though as it is daft to overtake at anything other than maximum acceleration.

Steve
Old 30 March 2007, 03:18 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Do the crime, pay the fine
Old 30 March 2007, 03:20 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

According to Pepipoo it is 14days:
PePiPoo: Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) - UK Motoring Law

Unless of course the car is not in your name, company car, etc - then they have more time.

I am sure the lasers do work through the dark windows - there is a mobile site on my way to work and they are always tucked up in the van - never opened windows/doors.

You'll just have to cack it for a couple of weeks....
Old 30 March 2007, 06:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by klunker
Just over?
You should be fine for +10% unless its Derbyshire as they are a bit stricter I think.

There is no reason in the road traffic act for someone to briefly go over the prescribe limit and use it as an excuse, unless you're in the emergency services.

ACPO guideline is 10%+2mph.

To fight a speeding or other traffic offence see PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

Andy
Old 30 March 2007, 06:26 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by jayltee1
According to Pepipoo it is 14days:
PePiPoo: Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) - UK Motoring Law

Unless of course the car is not in your name, company car, etc - then they have more time. The first nip must be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. Subsequent nips can be sent later

I am sure the lasers do work through the dark windows . No they dont and are not being used correctly in line with ACPO and manufacturer guidelines- there is a mobile site on my way to work and they are always tucked up in the van - never opened windows/doors.

You'll just have to cack it for a couple of weeks....
Andy
Old 30 March 2007, 06:32 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
I thought the 2 week notice or no prosecution method was a myth.
RTOA 1988

1.-(1) Subject to section 2 of this Act, where a person is prosecuted for an offence to which this section applies, he is not to be convicted unless-
(a) he was warned at the time the offence was committed that the question of prosecuting him for some one or other of the offences to which this section applies would be taken into consideration, or
( B) within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a summons (or, in Scotland, a complaint) for the offence was served on him, or

[c] within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a notice of the intended prosecution specifying the nature of the alleged offence and the time and place where it is alleged to have been committed, was-

(i) in the case of an offence under section 28 or 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (cycling offences), served on him,

(ii) in the case of any other offence, served on him or on the person, if any, registered as the keeper of the vehicle at the time of the commission of the offence.

(1A) A notice required by this section to be served on any person may be served on that person-

(a) by delivering it to him;

(b) by addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known address; or

[c] by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post addressed to him at his last known address.

(2) A notice shall be deemed for the purposes of subsection 1[c] above to have been served on a person if it was sent by registered post or recorded delivery service addressed to him at his last known address, notwithstanding that the notice was returned as undelivered or was for any other reason not received by him.

(3) The requirement of subsection (1) above shall in every case be deemed to have been complied with unless and until the contrary is proved.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:49 AM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't worry about it, if you have a clean license all you will get is 3 points and £60 fine. and it shouldn't affect your insurance either,

Read an article in the Sun newspaper on Thursday, and it was saying that there is over a million drivers in the UK one speeding fine away from getting banned, going by the totting up procedure. It also mentioned that £300 million was collected last year in speeding fines, and that 92% of all Road offences are speeding. Easiest way to produce revenue and to combat road congestion by banning everyone from using them
Old 31 March 2007, 12:37 PM
IJE71
Scooby Regular

If it's your first offence or it's been 3 years since your last one then you get the option of doing a speed awareness course instead of the points, keeps your licence clean and your insurance is'nt affected.
Old 31 March 2007, 08:42 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayltee1

I am sure the lasers do work through the dark windows - there is a mobile site on my way to work and they are always tucked up in the van - never opened windows/doors.
now things may have changed but I thought that the window had to open, reason being is that the glass will affect the laser, albeit in a minor way, and therefore the device is not deemed properly calibrated.

Don't want to get your hopes mate, they have probably now calibrated them through windows now because the good people inside the van were getting cold and wet.
Old 31 March 2007, 11:53 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
now things may have changed but I thought that the window had to open, reason being is that the glass will affect the laser, albeit in a minor way, and therefore the device is not deemed properly calibrated.

Don't want to get your hopes mate, they have probably now calibrated them through windows now because the good people inside the van were getting cold and wet.

LOL, i bet thats true inall

anyways as the ppl above said it will only be 3 points which i aint bothered about, i just wanted to know if i was going to get done for it thats all.