ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just had a look at a Scoob.. Question

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 09:25 PM
Johno83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had a look at a Scoob.. Question

Hello, just got back from looking at a nice silver scoob and currently mulling it over whether to buy it.

It has a towbar which was used for a few yrs with the first owner, is this anything to worry about? extra strain or anything?

1999 Uk Spec, 63,000miles, Full Subaru history, totally standard.

When should the cambelts be changed on them aswell, It had a fair pile of docs and was getting dark so didnt get to look through it all. Obviously if I were to buy it I would have a good look.

They did say Subaru would charge £80 to remove the towbar but they decided to leave it on instead.
Old 26 March 2007, 09:31 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

at 66000 miles should of had a cambelt change. regardless of mileage I think its done after 4 yrs. dont know about towing for that car but its not allowed on a P1. has a plate on bulkhead saying do not use for towing.
sorry can't help further
ken
Old 26 March 2007, 09:33 PM
scooby276blue
Scooby Regular

hi mate, you have taken the frist step by looking at a scooby, having the towbar on isn't a big worry as you have the fsh, if you are unsure get someone else have a look for you, if the cam belt hasn't been changed then it might be the right time to do it,

anyway good luck in getting your scooby
Old 26 March 2007, 09:34 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

i personally would be put off by the tow bar but one good thing is they are being honest. If they'd have removed it you'd probably never have known.

Major service including cambelts is at 50k

If this is the first one you've looked at look at some more - there are plently out there. Good luck with your search
Old 26 March 2007, 09:35 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tow bar might just mean it has been gently driven by a doddering old git. The MY99 classic is the best Impreza to have , even though silver is only the second fastest colour. The fastest? You'd want a DBM one for that
Old 26 March 2007, 09:51 PM
Johno83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L33_WRX
...If this is the first one you've looked at look at some more - there are plently out there. Good luck with your search
Thanks for the quick reply guys

The only thing then is the cambelt, HOPEFULLY seeing as it has Full Scooby history its had it done, but who knows eh will wait and see.

The thing is there isnt lots of classics about that are standard and have lowish mileage, not within 60miles of me there isnt.

I looked at one in bristol that had 80k and didnt have full history and didnt feel right.
Old 27 March 2007, 09:21 AM
Johno83
Scooby Regular

Default Good news!

Just had a reply from my email to the seller, cambelt was done around 45,000service, I will check all the paperwork when I go back but I dont see any reason not to buy this car... is it worth £6,000 ya think?

MOT is due in 2months is this maybe something to worry about, ill check the old MOTs see if any work was done.
Old 27 March 2007, 09:37 AM
chrisgreenall
Scooby Regular

Get the seller to MOT it as part of the deal... it only costs £50
Old 27 March 2007, 09:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I would never, ever buy a car with a tow bar, but that's just me.
Old 27 March 2007, 09:51 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Why not? Don't see many chavs racing around with a caravan on the back!
Speed limit is 60mph when towing one, so whats the problem?
Old 27 March 2007, 11:42 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I would consider the tow bar to be a good thing, it's more likely to have been driven by someone older and maybe a bit more sensible? alright that's a generalisation, but to be fair it sounds like a good car being sold by honest people, especially with the service history
Old 27 March 2007, 05:55 PM
Johno83
Scooby Regular

Default ******* DAYINSURE.COM

Great.

Even If they accept my offer I cant get the car back home now due to stupid dayinsure.com. Now they say I have to be over 25

Even though there own website says otherwise in the FAQ.

Livid. I spose its worth asking my current insurers Adrian Flux, but I know what the answer will be. Useless.
Old 27 March 2007, 09:50 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

[quote=Johno83;6786591]Great.

Even If they accept my offer I cant get the car back home now due to stupid dayinsure.com. Now they say I have to be over 25

Even though there own website says otherwise in the FAQ.

Livid. I spose its worth asking my current insurers Adrian Flux, but I know what the answer will be. Useless.[/quote

Adrian Flux..............more commonly known as Adrian F_cks.
Shocking insurance co. A quick call, to one of the co's on this site should see you right.
Good luck and examine that paper work prior to the testdrive, otherwise your judgement will be clouded.
Old 28 March 2007, 07:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right a few things you need to understand. Towbars mean nothing if the car doesn't exceed its max towing weight and you can't do more than 60mph whilst towing. Next point that I'd worry about is the cambelt. On an MY99 car these are changed every 3 years or 45k miles, whichever comes first, that means if the car only has had 1 change its due a belt change and I'd not risk not changing it if I were to buy said car, it should be due its third change not its second one. Ill not go into the rubber deteriorates or the fact that these belts are twice as long as other belts but use it as a bargaining tool.

Tony
Old 28 March 2007, 07:27 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johno83
Just had a reply from my email to the seller, cambelt was done around 45,000service, I will check all the paperwork when I go back but I dont see any reason not to buy this car... is it worth £6,000 ya think?

MOT is due in 2months is this maybe something to worry about, ill check the old MOTs see if any work was done.
No, Take a look on Autotrader and match it against cars of a similar age/spec.

I would barter if I were you.

Rob
Old 28 March 2007, 09:08 PM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johno83

to be honest i think that sounds very dear for that spec. im selling my 98 uk turbo with 78k,FSH etc and im starting the auction (on a well known auction site ) at £3500, the cars in excellant condition, the only bad point is it does have the piston slap noise when cold.

for that kind of money of £6k i would be wanting to buy a 2000 classic with low mileage, full MOT, etc.

just my thoughts though mate, some may disagree???
Old 28 March 2007, 09:48 PM
Thedevilandhiscar
Scooby Regular

I would check tow bar to see if it has duel electrics if so stay away as it will have towed a caravan and it is alot of stess on the diffs and rear suspension that is my opinion cheers