Action

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 01:11 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Action

If a moderator deletes this then I know I have been too political and will not do so again.

How many of you are willing to stage some sort of protest against the recent tax hike on our 'gas guzzlers'? I'm thinking that some sort of go slow around the m25 or a drive through the center of London might suffice. I accept that some might say that that it is pointless but by taking action we might inspire others to do so also and prevent an otherwise unfair tax imposition occurring. Is this a tax too far? I apprecite some might say I'm being foolish but you have to fight for some freedoms surely???
Old 23 March 2007, 01:18 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I would gladly be part of it but the problem been is that the general population just lay down and let the government walk all over them, so no matter what a few of us do, the rest of the nation wouldn't follow. Thats the sad thing, it'd be done for the best intentions but they wouldn't acknowledge that, just that we would be 'creating a scene'.

Protests have done little to affect the governments plans in the past, I doubt another would be any different.

On another note, it'd be better off on the M25 or something, going through London would mean getting charged in the Congestion zones, which would then be feeding the government with more money.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:23 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

M25 protest should be done then. i accept the ppoint abount Ken's brainchild. But I must say that the more we protest, the louder our voice becomes and the more likely other will follow suit. All we need to do is get all other car clubs in the uk invovled. Come to think of it and the caravan clubs. many of them drive 4x4's and if they dont they surely know how to clog and a road or three. I'm not joking. the poll tax was overturned by direct action. such a phenomenon can be repeated. we just need enough convinced that it can happen.

Last edited by Dan W; 23 March 2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: need to add more
Old 23 March 2007, 01:30 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

do central london, we can get on the news then
Old 23 March 2007, 01:37 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=cookstar;6773386]do central london, we can get on the news then [/QUOTE
true. plus we wouldn't be giving red ken and our 'government' anything to complain about as we would contribute 8 quid per car for the trouble. well it buys a few olympic village chalets .

Seriously though. I would be happy to coordinate what ever the majority of interested peeps would prefer. Now there's a democracy for you. no vote rigging allowed you see and if you think I'm not the best man for the job I will step aside for the man who is Gordon, you busy some time soon??

Last edited by Dan W; 23 March 2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 23 March 2007, 02:03 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Something needs to be done
Old 23 March 2007, 12:31 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As said Dan, im with you on this one.

Its worked in the past, just look at the petrol situation just a few years ago. As usual, if you work hard for a little something special you get punished for it. The government is breading a country of spongers because its more profitable not to work these days, lower tax, house paid for, free car!!

Oooo, i can feel a back problem coming on!!!

I will post a link to this thread on Pistonheads and i suggest that everyone that has another forum in mind do the same.

I dont think the government realise how many people this is going to affect, and how pi$$ed off the nation is becoming.

Rant not over, this is just the start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Old 23 March 2007, 12:40 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Count me in
Old 23 March 2007, 12:40 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Count me in, if theres enough of us to cause an issue,like when cabin crews strike the plane companies cack themselves,same needs to happen here.

we need to do something that WILL cause a nuisance and will cause problems etc to get noticed.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:47 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

I agree something should be done.

However it won't be popular as its an "environmental issue" the govenment is laughing about this one as they can tax what they like and blame it on Co2 emmisions. Anyone who goes against it will be slated by the green people who believe everything the government tells them. Unfortuantly thats most of the population now.

Its a losing battle and its only going to get worse :-(
Old 23 March 2007, 01:18 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
I'm thinking that some sort of go slow around the m25
That's pretty normal every day.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup

I dont think the government realise how many people this is going to affect, and how pi$$ed off the nation is becoming.
Oh I think they know very well how many people it will effect, but like everything our Government push through, they don't give a ****. Just as long as they get their extra tax money. Notice they always say "Gas Gussling 4x4's, just to get support from the naive.

I would happily join in a protest. If we could get every car forum for every make of car involved then we could really speak out in volume.

Better still I'd be poluting the planet by driving down from the North East just to protest in London.
Old 23 March 2007, 02:39 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

It seems like a losing battle admittedly but if enough people were to protest it may at least instigate a more sensible debate. There is 67,000 members on here, so that's a start if we could get even half to join the struggle, plus there is other car clubs. theoretically there is a lot of cars. A way in which to attract attention to this cause would be to protest when the roads are quieter so the numbers involved in the protest are not lost in the crowded roads so to speak. I'm only thinking up ideas off the top of my head here, but a drive through London at 3am by several thoasand cars would be a spectacle plus the congestion charge is not in operation then. Or a go slow along the M25 at dawn. I don't know but something that attracts the most attention.

Any other ideas people???

I don't think it would be that hard to do something like this, we just need to get off our ar*es
Old 23 March 2007, 03:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Good idea, then I'll start a protest with patients and children for all the hospitals and schools that close, if the government cannot get enough tax in.

I assume you're not going to protest at the 2p cut in the tax rate.

Out of interst how much is road tax going up by?
Old 23 March 2007, 03:27 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Olympic games. £9,500,000,000 and counting.
Old 23 March 2007, 03:28 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

how about we all just stop working for a month! we wont drive or buy anything from anyone and live on water and roadkill! the country will grind to a nasty hault! that should get um, sweating! any black leggers will have to be delt with sevearly! i reckon they would loose so much money that they will have to strike a deal with us!
month off anyone
Old 23 March 2007, 03:29 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

ps! might have to do a france run first to get the cigs and beers in!
Old 23 March 2007, 03:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RUDDY
how about we all just stop working for a month! we wont drive or buy anything from anyone and live on water and roadkill! the country will grind to a nasty hault! that should get um, sweating! any black leggers will have to be delt with sevearly! i reckon they would loose so much money that they will have to strike a deal with us!
month off anyone

I think the roadkill could be minging a bit after a month of no one driving though
Old 23 March 2007, 03:39 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

yeah just thought that! pheasents sheep and chicken are only a 12 gauge away though! just go fishing and eat carp if shooting isnt your thing!
sounds silly and it will never happen but they would have to do somthing if we did all go on strike!
Old 23 March 2007, 03:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

God I didn't realise you were being serious
Old 23 March 2007, 03:43 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If a moderator deletes this then I know I have been too political and will not do so again.

How many of you are willing to stage some sort of protest against the recent tax hike on our 'gas guzzlers'? I'm thinking that some sort of go slow around the m25 or a drive through the center of London might suffice. I accept that some might say that that it is pointless but by taking action we might inspire others to do so also and prevent an otherwise unfair tax imposition occurring. Is this a tax too far? I apprecite some might say I'm being foolish but you have to fight for some freedoms surely???
You say 'fight for our freedoms', then want the democratically elected government to yield to mob rule. I'm confused
Old 23 March 2007, 03:46 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

lol just a thought!
Old 23 March 2007, 04:02 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

While we still have freedom of speech it is merely a case of voiceing opinion in the public domain. the less we protest the more control the government have. Look how they stifled the last protest by the hauliers. bringing ant protesting policies through the back door. I might be naive but do you really think that what this goverment as doing can be called progress. The have had enough money for the hospitals and schools but they misspent it on more and more bureacrats and red tape among many other things. I have no objection to tax or to a government I didn't vote for because i believe in democracy. The road tax hike is unfair purely because we are told it was done to help 'green issues' WTF. If Gordon was interested in such matter the are a whole host of other things he could champoin which would reduce carbon emissions but he chooses not to. Such as the amount of lights left on in offices up and down the country, household appliance left on stand by. Street lights in on open stretches of motorway and countryside. Huge halogen lamps lighting up municipal and priviate buildings in every city.

That is just one issue. Then there is the attempt to force us out of our cars and onto public transport. The transport infrastructure is on its knees and we are expected to pay through the nose to use it. I accept that in some areas it works fairly well but on the while it is at best barely tolerable.

Lastly Gordon has not justified why he has hiked up the car tax so high. He has no evidenc on offer.
Old 23 March 2007, 04:06 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

apologies for appearing self opinionated.
Old 23 March 2007, 04:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

apologies for appearing self opinionated.
no more than me
Old 23 March 2007, 04:30 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Instead of talking about it, why not just do it. Post up the details of when and where it's going to be, get the press involved and then see who turns up.

I'm sure if you drove at 40 mph round the M25 for a while you would cause chaos.

You only need 3 cars as well!
Old 23 March 2007, 05:13 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
no more than me
Old 23 March 2007, 05:15 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Instead of talking about it, why not just do it. Post up the details of when and where it's going to be, get the press involved and then see who turns up.

I'm sure if you drove at 40 mph round the M25 for a while you would cause chaos.

You only need 3 cars as well!
True. we need to put a post on each regonal forums and see what type of numbers we can get for this. Then put the list on the general forum with a date. perhaps sometime in the next 2 months???
Old 23 March 2007, 05:16 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

still think a one month shutdown is gonna have more affect than a 40 mph run down a motorway! afterall the goverment hates us speeding anyway!
Old 23 March 2007, 05:32 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it,s obvious with all the road tax hike that the government want us off the road and using public transport. how about the whole of the uk leaving cars at home for a week and use the buses and railway ! the country would come to a standstill.

Quick Reply: Action