Sponsored by:

Are radar detectors to become illegal ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2000, 08:56 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just about to buy a radar detector (maybe) but I've been warned the government is trying to make them illegal.

Anyone know anymore ?

Cheers
Old 18 November 2000, 03:32 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

I've heard this too in the last day or so.
It's maybe just some scare tactics.
I'll be keeping mine, maybe a little more hidden.
Incidently, when parking up anywhere I tend to unclip it and put it in the glovebox out of sight. On occasions I've forgoten to put it back up before driving away, but it still detects even in the glovebox.
David
Old 18 November 2000, 05:28 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Talking

I saw a blinding little device in a magazine last night. It was not a radar detector, but a GPS device, which warns you if you are in the locality of a speed camera etc.

The manufacturers are claiming that the device actually helps road safety, by ensuring that the driver abides by the speed limits in the vacinity of all cameras, active or not.

I assume that due to the fact that justification for having speed cameras is to cut excess speed in areas where road safety has been an issue in the past, that this device would be acceptable.

Even though I don't speed through town etc, I do like to get my toe down on the open road (where safe to do so). From this viewpoint, I'll be saving up for one of these devices.

Take the road between Jedburgh & Coldstream for example. Littered with speed cameras where there is no real justification for having them. No junctions etc......
Old 18 November 2000, 06:17 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

It's called the Origin GPS Trap Alert.

I registered interest in it when it's development was announced, but I haven't made up my mind about it.

More info at
Old 18 November 2000, 07:32 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

KurtW

Now what would be the point of having a spped camera where it did'nt make money eh

Simon
Old 20 November 2000, 12:26 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Alan,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that - perhaps I'll be swayed.

I was concerned it was because of the heated screen, but was told this is only applicable on mercedes and such like (?)

Jim.
Old 20 November 2000, 12:30 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know about this possible new banning of radar detectors?

I've heard the "they are going to become illegal again" line being said by quite a few people - but has anyone got any hard facts, or is it just rumour currently?
Old 20 November 2000, 12:44 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

No its not just a rumour.

The DETR have been thinking about it for quite some time. Here are some extracts from an e-mail direct from the Road Safety Division concerning this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>The Department agrees with you that enforcement is necessary to assist in reducing vehicle speeds. This view is supported by the police. Indeed, the number of speed limit offences dealt with by police action increased by 17% in 1997 (the latest figures available) to 891,000. If you feel that your local police force is not devoting sufficient resources for road traffic law, you may wish to contact them directly to discuss this issue.

Safety (speed and red light) enforcement cameras are proving to be an effective way to reduce traffic speeds in certain circumstances. They do not have an extended or "zonal" effect which one of the reasons we advise they are only placed at sites with a history of speed related accidents. A Home Office commissioned cost benefit analysis of enforcement cameras showed an average 4 mph speed reductions and a 28% accident reduction at speed camera sites.

On 1 April a new funding mechanism for speed and red light enforcement cameras was introduced. This new system allows the police, local authorities and courts to use some of the revenue from fixed penalty speeding fines to be used to fund new camera operation. This new activity might be additional cameras, placing film in cameras where there was previously none, or lowering the speed thresholds at which point the cameras operate. However, this is only a pilot project designed to prove that the mechanism can be made to work.

The pilots are operating in 8 police force areas and involve partnerships of the local police force, local authorities and magistrates' courts. They will run initially for two years and, if successful, will be made generally available in England, Scotland and Wales.

As I have already explained, safety cameras are most effective at accident blackspots. However, many drivers, when faced with a safety camera will slow down, only to speed up again once past. his is clearly unacceptable. The Department would much rather drivers reduce their speeds voluntarily and consistently whilst on our roads.

In addition, many drivers buy detectors purely to frustrate the safety camera and avoid detection when speeding. There are clear road safety issues here which need to be addressed. This is why we are looking at current legislation to see how we can prohibit the use of camera detectors. However, before we can introduce legislation, we are required to consult organisations which may have an interest in this issue.

I hope this has been helpful.

Ian Edwards<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers

S

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 20 November 2000).]
Old 20 November 2000, 08:58 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

I'm not convinced they are all that good anyway, I have a top of the range Snooper and it pick ups anything other than a f'ing camera; mobile phone / communication towers, traffic lights and that's about it. I passed a copper with an on the road camera, and guess what - zip! Nothing - unless someone can tell me otherwise, I think it was a serious waste of £300.

Jim.

Old 20 November 2000, 11:38 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Unlucky Dragon, but I think you bought the wrong detector. BEL do some excellent detectors that always give a good warning.

A tip: Mount the detector at the top of the windscreen, where it can "see" properly and can't be seen itself.
Old 21 November 2000, 07:48 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

That's all well and good, but what about the £300 I shelled out?
Old 21 November 2000, 08:26 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stuart.

So basically we wait and see what they do.
Old 21 November 2000, 01:34 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Surely, if the powers that be REALLY wanted to make a difference and encourage better driving, improved road safety, etc., then they should be SUPPORTING any device that tells drivers when they're approaching an accident blackspot, a school, a village, or wherever speed cameras are sited. They'd also paint them in a bright colour, preferably fluorescent so they'd be lit up at night too, show the prevailing speed limit on the box, have an accompanying sign to tell drivers WHY it's there, and stop hiding them behind road signs, telegraph poles, trees, etc.. That way, we may actually believe that the government were keen on promoting better driving through education, rather than throug enforcement. I know which would have a longer lasting effect on me.

However, by introducing legislation to ban ANY device that could alert drivers to the location of a speed trap, I say that the government is proving that the prime motivator in speed traps is clearly revenue generation. It is unfortunate that the police appear to support the government in its stance - I wonder whether that is more motivated by politics than good sense. That, IMHO, will further alienate a (generally) law-abiding public from the police, and that is not a good thing.

Flak jacket, flame suit and crash hat on ....

Brian
Old 21 November 2000, 02:01 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What about this:
Old 21 November 2000, 02:05 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I want to see what the government try and do about the GPS method of informing drivers they are approaching a speed camera. They can hardly outlaw GPS. Maybe just increase the amount of mobile speed traps more than they are already.

Jerome.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 21 November 2000).]