Sponsored by:

Scooby Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2001, 06:10 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well, it looks like we will be moving sometime next year and my funds need to be better placed into some bricks and mortar instead of (high quality ) tin and plastic.

It's been an absolute nightmare looking for a Scoob replacement that will give fun, be nippy (without the brute force ), and be relatively cheaper to run.

I'm off to look at a Renault Clio 172 on Saturday (the old shape not the new one just out). Seems to offer good value for money (nippy, good economy, crap looks ).

Anybody got any experience of these, good or bad? What are the running costs and reliability like? My last Renault did 125,000 miles pretty much OK (considering how it was driven ) What should I look for when I go?

All views greatly accepted

What price should I be looking at as part ex for my Silver MY00 with 10k on the clock, FSSH, the following mods : SS Back box and Center, Barrier Deadlock, Hella Gas Discharge driving lights, Kenwood 8080R head unit + 10cd changer, Inifinity 605cs, Eibach springs + prodrive geometry, Momo gear ****, Sparco pedals, braided hoses?

Thanks folks
Old 11 December 2001, 06:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy

Oh No don't do it, Steve!!!

i'll be sad to see you move from the fold, but i hear those french cars are not too bad and if they come with a free 'Nicol' there worth every penny!

see you at the Goose for Crimbo drinks this Friday??????

Phil
Old 11 December 2001, 06:43 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve,
Jon172 on here has such a car, it is unbelievibly quick in it's standard form, he can drive a bit too
He's been on a few meets with us and has embarassed a few scoobs for sure.......of course, I'm not one of them
Great car .......cheap as well
Old 11 December 2001, 07:29 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks chaps, hopefully Jon172 will see the post and comment

Phil, will try and make it down the Goose for some festivities

Do they all come with a free Nicole?
Old 11 December 2001, 10:59 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
its not 'NICOLE' its 'Nicol' it sounds more french!!!!

see you THERE!!!!!

Phil
Old 12 December 2001, 08:33 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm just considering the next car (following on from my MY99 Sport)

Options are:

Scoob WRX (Virgin cars import and seem to do a reasonable PCP price, but you need to order 6 months in advance to get it really cheap)
Skoda Octavia RS (lot of car for money - 1.8 Turbo petrol engine, climate control, 6 CD autochanger)
Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 24 Sport

Gonna do some test driving over the next few weeks, but the faves so far seem to be the Scoob and the Octavia - Mitsubishi have managed to make the Galant look more plastic than the Scoob, and that is saying something
Old 12 December 2001, 09:47 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Steve.... .... don't go!!!

you could always drive another Thumb munching Puma!

hopefully see u at the pub

If anyone does want to buy this car, we (TSL) can vouch for it... its never been above 55 mph.... ever! ... nice buy for someone!

he he

Trouser

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2001, 10:09 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

A completely unbiased and off the cuff suggestion from me would be an Integra Type-R, just as quick as a 172, but slightly more sporty orientated.
Old 12 December 2001, 10:16 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

One thing i can vouch for - the Sparco pedals look the part and were professionaly fitted by a man who 5 minutes later chopped his finger off!!!!! Cars very nice and you'd get a free TSL Sticker with it!!!

Did you sort that damper out mate????

Dont buy a clio mate. They may be quick but they are so placcy inside.

For the miles you (dont ) do why not get a nice push bike????

Jza
Old 12 December 2001, 10:34 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Eeeee gents you make me larfff

Looked at an Integra Type R, but the insurance came out at more than the Scoob!! I'm also looking for something a little plainer so I don't feel as paranoid about attracting the wrong sort of attention

Anyone would think that I don't use my car at all In fact, I may just pop down the shops in it now, that will put an extra mile on the clock

Looked at Puma's too, but the missus has one and we can't have matching his and hers cars now can we

Damper was sorted by dealer week after the mods. Yet again, I get a car in great shape then sell it on Will have to have a laugh and see what the dealers will give me part-ex for it. That's if I like the drive in a Clio
Old 12 December 2001, 11:09 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Last month I thought I wanted a cheaper car to run so looked at getting a new MINI cooper.

The dealer offered £12,500 for my Immaculate W reg MY00 Impreza Turbo with 16K on the clock. The depreciation worked out at something like £463 a month so it actually works out cheaper if I keep the car for another 17 months as the Gauranteed Future Value after 3 years was £9480 on the PCP. Trying to sell privately I was offered around 13.5K.

Good thing is it makes me feel happier about keeping it!
Old 12 December 2001, 04:48 PM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

JUST SOLD MY IMPORT MY'00 IMPREZA TO THE DEALER AND GOT £14,500 FOR IT.
I SOLD IT BECAUSE I WASN'T PUTTING IT TO GOOD USE SO I LOOKED AT A CLIO 172 AND WAS VERY HAPPY WITH IT SO I BROUGHT IT.
THE CAR I BROUGHT WAS A MY'00 X REG IN SILVER WITH 3000 MILES ON CLOCK ABSOLUTELLY IMACULATE AS U CAN IMAGINE WITH ONLY 3K
NOW R U READY FOR IT I PAID £9750 FOR IT BUT I DID HAVE TO BARTER A LITTLE BIT TO GET IT FROM £11500 (private sale)
I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT AND LIKE IT MORE EACH TIME I DRIVE IT ..NICOL
AND THE BEST THING IS I STILL HAVE £4750 CHANGE IN THE BANK...
NOW WHAT CAN I SPEND THAT ON ...WHEELS ..EXHAUST....????

THANKS
GAZZA
Old 12 December 2001, 05:04 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't go dude, who will i extract the urine from.........TED

I suggest that everyone totally ignore the fact that this immaculate scoob is coming onto the market. If you are thinking of buying a mint MY00 with all the "neccessary" mods from a really nice bloke who always means well. DONT BUY THIS ONE, he'll leave the scoob fold and us Notts lads won't stand for it.

If you buy this incredibly nice car, we'll send da boyz round [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Only joking, I hope it goes well and you end up with sum fink fun mind you, the way you drive, a 2CV would be fun

MIKEY
Old 12 December 2001, 09:18 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm, there seems to be a running theme on my 'grandad' driving style

Gazz, thanks for your input. How tall are you? I'm 6ft 1, my only concern is fitting in the car!

As much as I'd like to keep the Scoob, I fancy something different anyway. The new house needs to take priority and in saving an extra 200-300 quid a month before cutting into what I have left already, will go a long way Scoobs are expensive to run (specially when you keep adding new mods ) and for the mileage I do, it ain't being used enough (bit like Gazz then ).

Mike, worry not, you can still extract the urine, I want a champagne...err...silver one

I'm gonna see what the dealer offers me for the Scoob (if I like the Clio) and if I'm happy with it, I will part chop it, even if I could get more private....I can't be arsed (sound familiar ) with the hassle

At least I will have better justification in a (slightly) slower car for staying at the back on meets (if you'll accept a bird's car!).

[Edited by Hanslow - 12/12/2001 9:21:40 PM]
Old 12 December 2001, 09:26 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hanslow,

I've got a Clio 172 (old shape). Want to swap?
Old 13 December 2001, 01:35 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll let you know when I've test driven one