Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'CLICKING' NOISE ON STI8'S????????

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2007, 01:40 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'CLICKING' NOISE ON STI8'S????????

We all know about the knocking shockers problems on these cars however mine seems to be making a 'clicking' noise for wany of a better description. This comes from the rear (ooer) and is most noticeable when say reverse parking. Therefore, I would not have related the problem to the suspension which would have settled whenn parking (normally!!!)

I was thinking it could be coming from the rear diff. I also thought it could be a wheel bearing, however this would be associated with rumbling/ noise on the move which it does not have.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.....
Old 16 March 2007, 01:22 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

rear brakes pads mate try moving forward pressing the brake then moving back and pressing the brake aftermarket pads i was told move very slightly in brembo caliper mine done it after i cleaned and changed pads
Old 16 March 2007, 04:55 PM
Clubbi
Scooby Regular

My sti9 does this, and its been more pronounced since the brakes were cleaned etc. I think its a slight movement of the pads in the calipers. Does it at the front not the rear.
Old 16 March 2007, 05:30 PM
StuB
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem.

I had both shocks replaced under warranty about six months before hand when i lived dun suf.
When i moved upt nuf i got this real loud click as i reversed of the drive. I checked all the underneath thinking it mite be the exhaust catching as the shocks unloaded but everthing was clear.
Local leeds (bowets) dealer replaced shocks again but did not cure.
After second visit to bowets it was reported that the nut that held the back wheel on wasn't tight enough. Told its usually the fronts that work loose.
Pretty scary to think it could have come lose in the first place, but they tightened it up and it did the trick. No problems since so well worth checking!
(I'm just trying not to think how much my new clutch and 50k service is going to rob me in the next few weeks)
Old 16 March 2007, 08:35 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i will put money on it being the wheel bearing - just had mine changed after exactly the same symptoms - Clicking noise when changing momentum from forward to back and in the end also sometimes when working you way back up the gears.

Anyone care to bet?

Last edited by pippyrips; 16 March 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 16 March 2007, 11:47 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i will put money on it being the wheel bearing - just had mine changed after exactly the same symptoms - Clicking noise when changing momentum from forward to back and in the end also sometimes when working you way back up the gears.

Anyone care to bet?
Not taking bets yet!!
Old 17 March 2007, 12:28 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I'm sure some of these r/n/s knocks are the jack not being stored properly..!

Not saying this is the case here BTW..

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2007, 01:05 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

brake pads defo do a search on here , someone posted a pic up of the part that clicks in the diff somethin to do with the tension as u are changing gear.the Limited slip diff will "torque" up and then release with a click when a certain torque figure is reached. they are meant to do it.
if your car clicks as you go from forward to reverse chances are you have changed the pads in the last 2000 miles greased the back of the pad and cleaned the caliper well,my v6 vectra done it too as the dust builds up the pad sticks to the piston and stops clicking its one of them things

wheel bearings make noise at about 50 mph,cv joints click on full lock due to the chrome coming away my car done 27000 first set of rear pads so plenty of dust in there fitted aftermarket pads and click/clunk from forward to reverse.
for the test go forward to reverse and touch the brake pedal and do it without touchin the brake pedal (at slow speed)

Last edited by maydew; 17 March 2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 17 March 2007, 10:48 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by jasonius
I'm sure some of these r/n/s knocks are the jack not being stored properly..!

Not saying this is the case here BTW..
That crossed my mind!! At the end of the day, it is a warranty thing. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 17 March 2007, 10:50 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

don't forget to tell us what it was in the end
Old 17 March 2007, 11:40 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

don't forget to tell us what it was in the end
That goes without saying!! Hopefuly they diagnose and prognose it correctly this time!! It has been in a couple of times and they have replaced all 4 shockers etc however to no avail...........
Old 18 March 2007, 12:12 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

bearing without doubt - only other thing it could be is the driveshaft but thats highly unlikely
Old 18 March 2007, 02:10 PM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

id go for brake pads, mine dont do it but once you have a bit of wear in the pad/caliper they can chatter. i used to have a mk4supra tt that made a very loud clunk when reverse parking wich was the pads loose in the calipers.
Old 18 March 2007, 03:27 PM
greatwhite
Scooby Regular

I have takem my 03 STI, to a SUBARU garage for the same noise, they tell me that it is the rear calipers and is a normal noise for this model.

What can you do eh, they are suposed to know these things, but it does sound like a bull$hit reason, why dont it do it on the offside?
Old 18 March 2007, 07:14 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Question

bearing without doubt - only other thing it could be is the driveshaft but thats highly unlikely
Surely knackered wheel bearings would be associated with humming..........
Old 18 March 2007, 10:21 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

you would think so....I was as surprised as the guy who fixed mine (ex-works prodrive/m-sport mechanic so knows his stuff!)

The only sound i was getting was a clicking noise as i went from forward to back or vice versa. At first i wondered if it was the diff but by standing next to the wheel and causing the noise you could tell it was coming from the wheel hub.

This meant it was either going to be a bearing or driveshaft so we started with the bearing. Once the hub was off Andy found a cracked bearing inside - 1 hour later job done.

There were no other tell tale signs so no humming etc

You should be able to tell if its the pad moving (though I've only known this to happen in the front calipers) by crouching by the wheel and pin pointing the sound. If it's not then my money is still on the bearing.

Last edited by pippyrips; 19 March 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 18 March 2007, 10:51 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatwhite
I have takem my 03 STI, to a SUBARU garage for the same noise, they tell me that it is the rear calipers and is a normal noise for this model.

What can you do eh, they are suposed to know these things, but it does sound like a bull$hit reason, why dont it do it on the offside?
hi mate take ya pads out fill the holes on the pad where the pins go through with araldite glue then redrill to size of pin refit pads job done no more clicking

Last edited by maydew; 18 March 2007 at 10:54 PM.