Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why are parts so expensive for the scoobies?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2007, 07:00 PM
AntonGreen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are parts so expensive for the scoobies?

Lttle things like brake discs, to larger parts all cost considerably more than for other cars, like Peugeot for example.

Are all the subaru range expensive for parts, or just the impreza? How about the legacy?

Cheers.
Old 08 March 2007, 07:02 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

Because they arnt massed produced like ur avarage Fiat Punto, They are also built to a higher standard due to the being high preformance cars.
Old 08 March 2007, 07:07 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

You want to price up the parts for an Evo... My cousin has one and they are much more expensive to mod to the higher figures. I doubt subaru parts are any more expensive than VAG/Audi or an Alfa. Dealers are always overpriced tho
Old 08 March 2007, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

French cars need bits all the time, Subaru's hardly ever ............ it's a matter of high numbers driving the cost per item down.

And that Subaru like to **** us where it hurts most, of course!
Old 08 March 2007, 07:37 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
You want to price up the parts for an Evo... My cousin has one and they are much more expensive to mod to the higher figures. I doubt subaru parts are any more expensive than VAG/Audi or an Alfa. Dealers are always overpriced tho

how do you work this out,,,i had a sti,,,put full decat on /fuel pump/ and got 279 bhp (cost £280),,,was going to get it remapped £650 would of seen about 330bhp ,,,so would of got 330 bhp for £930 ish

now my evo 6,,, decat/fuel pump.....cost £150......bhp 287,,,,getting it remapped next week same again £650,,,and should see 350bhp
total cost £800 ish

so a bit less than the subaru and more bhp

stu
Old 08 March 2007, 08:07 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Subaru parts are a rip-off (e.g. idle valve almost £300, a 6" rubber coolant pipe - £30 etc.) because there are no pattern parts available in the UK and we're a bunch of mugs. Just like every other business in the world, they charge what people are willing to pay. It's certainly not because they are 'performance' cars.
Old 08 March 2007, 08:27 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
French cars need bits all the time, Subaru's hardly ever ............ it's a matter of high numbers driving the cost per item down.

And that Subaru like to **** us where it hurts most, of course!
Can you explain that to me?

Subaru want to **** us where it hurts, firstly petey, its the main dealers that **** us here in Europe. Over here Subaru Ireland dont give a toss about your average Scooby driver, and only deal with main subaru dealers.

The prices in the states are far less expensive even with paying for delivery, so how can Subaru **** us?
Old 08 March 2007, 09:07 PM
AntonGreen
Scooby Newbie

Are all the subaru range expensive for parts, or just the impreza?

How about the legacy, or the little justy for instance (if anyone would know about prices for those)?
Old 08 March 2007, 09:37 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

ALL Subaru parts are expensive. I think they charge a lot because they know they can get away with it.

If you think about it Subaru parts should be cheap. All the Soob's are bascially to the same mechanical design and they share a vast number of parts across the Impreza, Forester, Legacy ranges. There must be big economies of manufacture.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:35 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

To be fair though it's not just Subaru - ALL car manufacturers overcharge for parts through their dealerships. If you've ever bought a reasonably priced part for a car, it was because of competition - there's someone making pattern parts that are being sold in your local Wilco/Halfords/Lucas/Motorworld etc for little more than what they cost to make at pretty much the same quality. When you're tied to dealer-only parts like you are with Subaru, expect to be ripped off.

Buy an old Beetle if you want to find out how little parts can cost for a car.