Sponsored by:

need help on some thing important

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 07:13 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on some thing important

Right last night i was looking through the trader for another scooby when I came across a familiar car, my old scooby that I sold 3 years previous. Any way to cut a long story short I sold it with 145k miles and it is now been sold with 87k miles?????do I do nothing and let it be or what?

Darren
Old 07 March 2007, 07:47 AM
KTM3
Scooby Regular

Location: In my garage, figuring ways to beat the tax man ;-)

Could possibly be 87k on a new engine, which people have a habit of not telling you till last minute.

I'd prob do nothing, but it would irritate the hell out of me.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:04 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Try and dig around, ask the seller a few questions, like what was the mileage when he bought it, where/who he bought it from.
chances are it's now done over twice the mileage that the guy is quoting, don't let him get away with that ( if it was him)
Old 07 March 2007, 09:09 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself... If somebody knew and you bought it what would you have wanted to happen?

We bought a car off a main dealer that turned out to be a write off.. needed jigging or re-shelling... they bought it back off us.. our suspiscions were that they were putting it out to auction.. we hid telephone numbers in all the unlikely places and recived a call 4 months later from a guy that had bought it and the work hadnt been done.. shipped out to auction sold as seen to a dealer.. sold to a family man !!!
Old 07 March 2007, 09:27 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Definitely do something, otherwise someone may get conned into buying a clocked car.

I was asked for the service history for a car we had that was written off. A guy had bought the salvage at auction and was going to spend £3K or £4k repairing the car when a proper repair was going to cost £20K. I took advice and forwarded the srvice history marked on every page with "Declared total loss on <date>" with red pen. The car was also registered with all the relevant one marque clubs as a write off.

This to my mind is much the same if you can help prevent someone getting ripped off you should.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:42 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely try to do something, dont just leave it. Just think that next time you buy a car you could be in the same situation.

Check the details as its being sold, as said above it may be 87K on a new engine. If the dash says 87K then its been hacked and the police need alerting to it espically if you have any documnetation proving that it has more mileage on it.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:12 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

My conscience wouldn't let me do nothing.

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2007, 11:21 AM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I would want some previous MOTs to validate mileage if I was buying but definately agree with you doing something on this.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:34 AM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Can't believe that people are still getting away with things like this, How long will it take before the law which seems to prosecute people for doing 5mph over the speed limit but won't do anything to people selling write-off's or cars with starship enterprise miles (clocked). There should be more focus on death traps and less on revenue gains don't we get ripped off enough in this country..
Old 07 March 2007, 11:34 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all reality,i don't think you'll get much of a responce from the Police.However,a quick phonecall to trading standards should do the trick.They work closely with VOSA and could do any neccessary checks.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:45 AM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

please do something! it could be someone like me buying it and getting ripped off. This sort of thing really annoys me.

Phone them up and see whats what. If your not happy post on here all the details and get trading standards involved.

good luck.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:51 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
In all reality,i don't think you'll get much of a responce from the Police.However,a quick phonecall to trading standards should do the trick.They work closely with VOSA and could do any neccessary checks.

totally agree...w e got no joy from police or trading standards.. we even sent a copy of the log book and the independent report that said the car was unroadworthy to DVLA and got no response !!
Old 07 March 2007, 12:03 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

In reality mate, they may ask you to prove that it had over 140k miles etc.

Can you do that?

If you cant, dont bother with the hassle, if you can proove it, then something should be done. Thats a massive difference in mileage!

HOWEVER - My presumption would be that the car has had a new engine, and will have 87k miles on it, ring the chap, and ask him, then ask him why he is selling it with only 87k miles if its same engine, as you had it 3 years ago with 145k on it.
Old 07 March 2007, 12:26 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Could be a mis-print, the autotrader are famous for it. Maybe the "1" was missing off the front?
Old 07 March 2007, 12:26 PM
KTM3
Scooby Regular

Is it from a garage/trader? Or private sale?

My point above was based on it being a private sale, if its just one bloke selling it, and he believes it has done 87k there is nothing you can do legally. The only dispute you can raise with him is a personal one, which tbh the way some nutters are nowdays is it worth the risk? If you have not moved in the past 3 years he has access to your address. He aint going to tell you who he sells it to.

Put the reg and car details on here, then hopefully whoever buys it will do a reg search ( as I do with every scoob I have looked at potentially buying ) and your details will come up.

If its garage/trade then yeah I would take them to trading standards.

Give him a call and let us know how it goes, or even put the ad on here.
Old 07 March 2007, 01:32 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

just mail the dvla will only take you a few mins! if we all did the right thing the world would be a better place!!

old guy died for telling some scum to stop pissing on the side of a road and they attacked him! Might put some off, but just another example of the uk going down hill as people turn a blind eye and tend to look after only number one!
Old 07 March 2007, 01:37 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<generous mode on>Maybe he has "accidentally" advertised it as 87k rather than 187k, to make sure he gets as many people contacting him as possible? He *may* tell people when they come to see the car that it "was an honest mistake, guv". <generous mode off>
Old 07 March 2007, 01:53 PM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

its not a blue wagon by any chance???????

i looked at a blue wagon a couple of weeks ago showing IIRC about 87k on the clock. however i found a service history book stamped up to 125k miles a couple of years ago!!!!!

personally i would ring the guy and ask him about the miles (even tell him who you are possibly) and see what he says. if he sounds dodgy i wouldnt have any problems about "grassing him up" so to speak. it annoys the hell out of me that people are still conning decent genuine buyers who end up having to spend thousands in the long wrong because they have bought something different to what they thought they had..........yes its happened to me!!!!!!
Old 07 March 2007, 08:27 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

It was a green m reg wagon reg M855 YNW the url is below it certainly may have had another engine installed, the one that was in it although very strong has it was well maintained could have been on its last legs.
Im not sure I want to call him cos im not one for confrontation and it could have been sold on to someone after I sold it to the lad that I did.

SUBARU IMPREZA Turbo 2000 4WD 5dr Estate - Auto Trader UK

I was looking through the pics of the car on the trader and there is a pic of a lad stood at the side but he doesn't look like the person I sold it to. It was a young lad and his girlfriend, they came down from newcastle.

Darren
Old 08 March 2007, 07:23 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

5 owners now says the RAC vehicle checks

RAC - Vehicle data search - DVLA lookup results.
Old 08 March 2007, 08:17 AM
KTM3
Scooby Regular

Is it this one?

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...wagon-f-s.html

Yo have put there its had an engine re-build, is it being sold on engine milage and not car mileage?
Old 08 March 2007, 08:21 AM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

it says in the ad it has service history........i wonder what that says exactly???
Old 08 March 2007, 03:37 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

KTM3 yes you are correct but it was only stripped down and new gaskets and plugs and clutch.

GJW im presuming that he has the original KT Greens stamped book that I had and what ever has been done afterwards.

Any way Ive contacted the Auto Trader and they are now looking into it and if it is fraud they will get the police involved.

Thanks for your comments and posts and giving me a boot up the hole to do something.

Darren