Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood want my car registration details?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2007, 02:51 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kenwood want my car registration details?

Bit of an odd one this. I have recently purchased a Kenwood satellite navigation system, which I intend to hook up to my head unit. The Ebay seller (Kenwood main agent), has now contacted me to say that they need to register the unit with Kenwood and have asked for my car model and registration details. Is this normal practice nowadays with all sat nav equipment? Anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm not sure I want to supply them with my details, given the fact that the Government is looking to charge us for every mile travelled, in the future?
Old 02 March 2007, 02:59 PM
Carsey-STI
Scooby Regular

Location: I will be the one in front !!!! - www.scoobysmacs.co.uk

Ive never heard of this mate, not to bad giving your details to kenwood themselves but i would not give them to some dealer.

But as you say you don't want to get in to the big brother thing with the money grabbers that call themselves the gov.
Old 02 March 2007, 03:04 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

But the sat nav is passive technology, you receive satellite signals and it triangulates your position. Nothing is broadcast so it has nothing to do with potential road pricing.

It might simply be marketing, they want as much info about you as they can so they can build a profile of their customer (i.e. what age/model car yours is).

Alternatively is there any information needed by either your head unit and/or sat nav so they can communicate with each other? If so then it may be part of an anti-theft process, so if someone steals either unit then they cannot get it to work without some "key" provided by Kenwood, hence potentially identifying where stolen goods have been passed on.

Ask them why they need to know.
Old 02 March 2007, 03:06 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

[quote=Carsey-STI;6711939]Ive never heard of this mate, not to bad giving your details to kenwood themselves but i would not give them to some dealer.

I have registered my head unit with Kenwood in the past, but have never been asked for car registration details by a dealer on someone's behalf?!
Old 02 March 2007, 03:06 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Id get in touch with KENWOOD direct to see what the score is supposing you brought it as a present for someone who's details would you give then

KIP
Old 02 March 2007, 03:07 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

I would decline and ask for the registration information to be sent with the head unit and fill it out yourself.

If they decline, they go elsewhere for the unit. Sounds a little odd.
Old 02 March 2007, 03:11 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by collierm
I would decline and ask for the registration information to be sent with the head unit and fill it out yourself.

If they decline, they go elsewhere for the unit. Sounds a little odd.

I have asked them why they need the car reg details, I will await there reply. I had already purchased the unit and was asked for information several days later.
Old 02 March 2007, 03:17 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Dodgy as.. Just giv um any old reg and shut them up.
Old 02 March 2007, 03:18 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a Kenwood sat nav system in my car and were never asked for my details, maybe as it is a TV screen they want to make sure you have a TV licence just incase you then decide to plug in the TV tuner to it.
Old 02 March 2007, 06:59 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I have a Kenwood sat nav system in my car and were never asked for my details, maybe as it is a TV screen they want to make sure you have a TV licence just incase you then decide to plug in the TV tuner to it.
As far as they were concerned they don't know what head unit I have. I'm still waiting for their explanation, seems odd that no-one has come across this?!
Old 02 March 2007, 07:21 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

don't part with your reg details at all. Ask them to provide the request in writing with an explanation as to why they require it with proof of some sort.
Old 02 March 2007, 07:27 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
But the sat nav is passive technology, you receive satellite signals and it triangulates your position. Nothing is broadcast so it has nothing to do with potential road pricing.

It might simply be marketing, they want as much info about you as they can so they can build a profile of their customer (i.e. what age/model car yours is).

Alternatively is there any information needed by either your head unit and/or sat nav so they can communicate with each other? If so then it may be part of an anti-theft process, so if someone steals either unit then they cannot get it to work without some "key" provided by Kenwood, hence potentially identifying where stolen goods have been passed on.

Ask them why they need to know.
Sorry but thats incorrect, the sat nav is not a passive unit, it sends and transmits to pin point your position at a given time. As to giving details info, they are not intitled to this, and anyway they could get that from other sources if you dont supply it.

Hope this helps
Old 02 March 2007, 07:55 PM
jobbys
Scooby Newbie

Don't get a GPS, the American Government can track every GPS unit in the world, even when it's turned off.

It's a conspiracy god damn it.

Also microwaves have built in tracking devices that transmit info down the power lines, that's why I buy lots of tin foil.

GPS Tracking