Sponsored by:

CAT D advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2007, 12:27 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT D advice needed

Now the second addition to the Hanley family is here I've been looking for a decent people carrier.

I found this Galaxy

Now, okay it's 5 years old and has done 76,000 miles (only average of 15k per year), my wife will be doing 5k a year in it tops so in a few years it will average itself out. Got everything we need in terms of kit, air con, climate, cruise control, screens in the front headrests for the kids (only uses a video player though)

I just rang the guy, he's based in Bradford and he started by telling me it's had some light damage to the front wing which was repaired and after talking for about 5 minutes he dropped into the conversation that it was a CAT D.

Should I steer clear?

I'm not 100% sure on the meaning of CAT D so I don't know if it's too risky.

Any advice would be great, I'm going to do a HPI check and professional inspection but I don't want to waste money if it's not worth buying a CAT D.

Also, does anyone have a Galaxy with the video unit in the back, can this be swapped for a dvd player?

I'm a bit gutted cause it looks really tidy inside and out.

Thanks guys

Hanley

Old 02 March 2007, 12:34 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Cat D - repair possible but insurer decided not to bother. That could be anything really but a new wing at £1000 on a car worth £750 makes it a write off. Its just because of the high prices repair shops charge, probably got it fixed for a few hundred notes.

On a car this new it might have been a serious smack. See when it happened, what the price of the car should have been at the time and you might be able to work out how bad the damage must have been for the cost of repair to be more than the car is worth.

There are plenty out there though, if you aren't sure keep looking especially if you'll always doubt the car.

5t.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:35 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

CAT D's are really light damage. They don't require a VIC (Vehicle Identification Check), like CAT C's do, which are a heavier damage type. The VIC's show up on the log book to show it has been carried out. Apart from a HPI, there is not another way of showing it was accident damaged. So its good that they have told you.
I say its worth buying, but use the CAT D part as a negotiona tool.
Hope that helps.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:38 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Insurers use salvage Categories A to D to indicate the severity of the damage to the vehicle. A Cat A is a burn-out. A Cat D is merely an economic Total Loss, meaning it is safe to go back on the road IF it is professionally repaired. It means the cost of the repair plus the salvage value amounted to more than the Pre Accident Value, so it was written off my the insurers.

Can be ok, but you'd want to see the original repair account and get that inspection done. Bear in mind it should be cheaper to buy now and equally shall be worth less than a non Cat D car when you sell it.

Andy

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 02 March 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:38 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

Cat D can be for some really stupid, minor things, like the smallest dent in the chassis. That said, it could have had major reconstruction. You can usually put a Cat D back on the road for just over half the value so that should give you an idea what it's worth, but don't pay anywhere near to market value on it. To give you an idea, my brother's car is a Cat D because they smashed a window when it was stolen, no other damage, otherwise it would have been unrecorded on a Cat X.
Old 02 March 2007, 01:18 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Buying Cat D 's is ok IF you are gonna run it into the ground and try not to sell it on at decent money, because most buyers will steer clear of anyhting which they consider hes been involved in an accident and written off!
Old 02 March 2007, 10:38 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

I've just looked at a Mk2 Golf GTI, that has had the mildest of rear-ending (oo er missus). There is a minor dent to the boot lid and the rear bumber has been slightly pushed in (probably the bar behind has been bent) but there is no damage to the bumper itself.

The odd thing is it's been graded as a Cat C, as the assessor has quoted £2k to get it properly repaired, where as a good body shop would probably do it for £500 max. Go figure!!
Old 02 March 2007, 11:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I would never buy a Cat D car & a fair few people would be of same opinion. If you buy it just be prepared that it will be tricky to sell on as Cat D marker can never be removed. Also a Cat D should be valued at about 66% of a non Cat D vehicle ie should be cheaper!!

TX.
Old 02 March 2007, 11:52 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adidas
The odd thing is it's been graded as a Cat C, as the assessor has quoted £2k to get it properly repaired, where as a good body shop would probably do it for £500 max. Go figure!!
I've seen CAT D's that are slaughtered, and CAT C's with very minor damage. I think the assesors decisions can be changed by a few folding pictures of the queen, falling into his hand.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the original damage, as said it could be a slight front end, needed a wing, bonnet, radiator, light etc, that adds up a bit but the damage would have been superficial.
Best way about it is to get the car inspected if your not sure, if you can find out what sort of damage was done and when that damage was caused it will be better for you

Tony
Old 03 March 2007, 02:48 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

A cat D is a WRITE OFF. Now on an older car worth diddlysquat then a dented panel may be enough to write it off. On a new or valuable car a cat D would mean £20k worth of damage on a £30k car.

So cat D is NOT "light damage" unless on an old or non-valuable car. Cat D (and A,B,C) are for WRITE OFFs. Insurers pay for cars to be repaired every day and most of these are not write offs and therefore won't be registered.

Now part of the insurers costs will be the cost to fix + hire cars etc. but you get the general idea.
Old 03 March 2007, 02:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

here is a few examples of what cat D write off are like very minor in 99%

http://amlinternational.co.uk/index.asp