Sponsored by:

22B incident and availability of spare parts

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2000, 11:17 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Had an incident in 'new '22B tonight, accelerating in a straight line from a 30 into national speed limit in 3rd gear.
Rear end stepped out went sideways recovered skidded and clipped concrete post (why was it there????)Car is UK spec anyone have experience of body repairs, need a front spoiler and near side front wing are they stock items? Also anybody had a similar experience with a 22B UK. Absolutely Gutted!!!
Geoff

[This message has been edited by Geoff P (edited 17 November 2000).]
Old 17 November 2000, 11:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
talk to mike tuckwood at scoobymania.

he has a 22B being repaired right now for similar damage, its not cheep!!!!
Old 18 November 2000, 01:52 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

If you want any parts, email me as I can have cheap original parts delivered with 7 days which are all original 22B.

Harj...
Old 18 November 2000, 08:14 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Wink

Harj,

I think Richard would object to you stripping his 22B for parts and selling them off. Especially since it's apparently working better than ever
Old 18 November 2000, 08:24 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Geoff see my post on 22B.com
Old 18 November 2000, 08:43 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Geoff

Sorry to hear of your incident mate..

The 22B and type R have a really agressive rear diff.

What this means is... (bare in mind I have NO idea about the actual mechanics of it, but can explain what happens from a driver's perpective)

If you hit the gas (or heavily engine brake), and one wheel starts to spin more than the other, the diff can fully lock. This is ideal for gravel, but a little scary for wet greasy roads.

What may have happened, is you hit the gas, one of the wheels lost traction and started to spin, the diff then locked, which made the other wheel spin. You then have a car with both rear wheels spinning, one of which is a on a surface with more grip than the other. This would unsettle the car big-time, and probably put the car a couple of degrees sideways. The fact that you were still on the gas, means that the locked rear diff will continue to push the backend out further, etc.

If you have a look at where it happened, and study the road surface, I guarantee there is a bump or change of surface or strip of slippy tar (or whatever they use to join bits of road), or something like that just at the point where the skid started.

This would be worthwhile because it will help you to look out for things like this in future.

Bad luck mate.

regards

Simon
Old 18 November 2000, 09:39 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Geoff,
Simons comment about a fierce diff sounds quite plausible. The chaps that I knew that used to compete regularily in the BTRDA autotest championship, all used to run with 'screwed up' up limited slip diffs. That is the diffs were almost locked all the time, which makes doing donuts, or for autotesting spinning around a traffic cone, very tidily, very easy.

On the road however they would be incredibably tail happy. My friends car that I drove set up like this, was a 1275 Midget, and you could set off from a standing start with some steering lock on, and the car would just spin straight round, whithout moving forward any significant amount.

Very impressive on private car parks to impress the bystanders, somewhat iffy on twisty wet roads, where massive understeer, created by the diff trying to push the car staright all the time, would flip to massive oversteer when you broke traction with the back wheels.
It was more likle a stunt car than a road car, but was entertaining.

The same effect was also used by my friend, who used to race stock cars, and then grasstrack cars (at Leewood and Antrobus, Mellow Yelloow I might know you?), but he used to weld together the planet gears in a conventional diff, (cheaper than buying a LSD) and create a FULLY locked diff.

That makes the car VERY tail happy, but stops you getting bogged down, when a conventional car would 'diff out' ie one wheel spinning wildly, the other side doing nothing, which is the effect you tend to experience on the corners in stock car or crasstrack oval circuits, or when trying to autotest a conventionally diffed RWD car, unless you can provoke both wheels to brake traction.

Cheers MTR
Old 18 November 2000, 09:49 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi All,

MAJOR MAJOR sympathy Geoff old boy. For those of you who don't know, Geoff had the 22B Uk delivered from listers on Wednesday. I saw it briefly on Thursday night and it looked fookin' awesome.

We were due for a drive and food last night and then he called me to tell me what had happened. It does not look pretty, and I am absolutely gutted for him.

Anything I can do Geoff, just pick up the phone.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 18 November 2000, 12:08 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Also talk to your dealer, you stnad a better chance of getting parts through the dealer network, as yours is and official UK car
Old 18 November 2000, 12:18 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Off to bed to contemplate my navel!!!
Going in to local dealer tomorrow will let you know the outcome. Can any body explain the dynamics of what happened? It caught me totally by surprise and I didn't react well at all
Geoff
Old 18 November 2000, 12:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Oil/Diesel/Ice on the road, remember the 22B is naturally a rear wheel drive biased car under normal conditions, think its soemthing like 60/40 to the rear.

Im no driving expert though, JohnF or Simon De Banke may be able to help more than me on that front !
Old 18 November 2000, 03:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Geoff,
Sorry to hear about the unpleasantness - for what it's worth, if it's the car for Listers of Worcester, it looks like a stunning car - I was staring at it whilst signing the forms for my Silver MY95 :-)

Hope it all comes out in the wash.....

Cheers

Dan
Old 18 November 2000, 04:02 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Geoff,
Sorry to hear about the unpleasantness - for what it's worth, if it's the car for Listers of Worcester, it looks like a stunning car - I was staring at it whilst signing the forms for my Silver MY95 :-)

Hope it all comes out in the wash.....

Cheers

Dan
Old 18 November 2000, 05:22 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sympathy guys, still feel ike a total idiot, think I need to learn how to drive my new toy.
My RB5 never bit me, got sideways a lot , thought I was a good driver cos I got it back etc - Guess not !, the RB makes an average driver look quite good.The 22B makes an average driver wrap it round concrete posts!!!!
Upon inspection and discussions with dealer/ insurer life is not that bad after all, should be back on the road soon.
Looking at the scene Simon could well be right, what is even more scary is that 6 feet the other side of the said post was a 20ft drop down a very steep bank. When I get my Digi camera back from a friend I'll post pictures of the scene and the road surface where it broke away for all to see.
By the way Mr Moss thanks for letting the world know I'd only had the car for a couple of days, even after I bought you a bloody pizza as well!!!
Cheers
Geoff
Old 18 November 2000, 06:18 PM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Geoff,

I have already posted this up on the 22B site, but I hope this wasn't the car that Subaru UK were borrowing for the day on Monday at Donington was it??

Won't look too good if you turn up with a dented car of which there are only 16 in the world

Rob.

Old 18 November 2000, 10:31 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Geoff!

Oops is all I can say! I was only trying to put the massive sympathy I felt into perspective!

Speak to you soon!

Jon
Old 19 November 2000, 08:05 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to hear about your gorgeous car. When you get it back and you want it valeting I'll put on a superb 'Wax Wizard' Acrylic Paint Sealant for you F.O.C.. Mossman has just had his done today it looks great.

Hope your car is well soon.

Scotty.
Old 19 November 2000, 08:33 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Scott!

Thanks for your help today! The car managed the 15 minute drive back and didn't get too dirty!

Speak to you soon!

Jon

PS Pecks car needs a proper clean some day!