Sponsored by:

let down by the seller of a sti 5 :(

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2007, 05:57 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down let down by the seller of a sti 5 :(

went to have a look at a sti 5 on sat, with some friends of mine who were looking at buying, the guy said that there's nothing wrong with it at all,
after 30 seconds we noticed a great big crack in the boot under the carpet , how annoying is that, it had a very bad repair both sides, the car did look very nice apart from that, its just that some poeple have no morals at all , what a waste of time and effort

the car we went to see is the silver one with GGR on the intercooler, I think its on pistonheads.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You'll do very, very, VERY well to get a genuine STI 5 nowadays. I detailed mines today which is still the nicest one to have been on PH in the last 4 months and I check daily! Once it was clayed and glazed I could scan from proper imperfections and found considerable evidence of filler. It was sold to me as having 'never' had paint work - by a scoobynet member no less

I've now been lied to or mislead about both my Subaru's that I've bought from Scoobynet and I'd never buy another. In fact, I probably won't travel out of scotland again for a car because no matter how much you beg people to be honest with you via email they will just lie to achieve their own result.

I'm not overly bothered though - the car looks a million bucks now
Old 18 February 2007, 07:17 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean Saxo Boy, they do come up though, you just have to be quick and lucky all at the same time,

about the car though, you could actually see the guy's drive through the crack
Old 18 February 2007, 07:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

When I was looking for a JDM car Summer 2006 I looked at two, both of which had evidence of crash repairs. One may even have been rolled! Neither owner said a word about this

TX.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

about the car though, you could actually see the guy's drive through the crack
Wow, that is bad!! Mines looks like its has a bad scuff or scrap! I'm pretty sure the wings themselves haven't been taken off just had paint in situ. I'm no expert though.
Old 18 February 2007, 09:57 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the 21st century!

99% of people are dis-honest, especailly if its making them a few bucks!
Old 19 February 2007, 11:41 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The STi5 with the ggr intercooler is also advertised on SN - looks very nice in the pics..... but i know how you feel. When searching for a STi Type-R i must have viewed about 6 different cars described as 'mint' only to find signs of heavy damage repair.....! and some were priced at over 10k.....!!!

Trending Topics

Old 19 February 2007, 12:14 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The problem is the cars are getting to age where the damage may have been repaired by earlier owners and then sold on to the current owner who is unwaware of such repairs.

So whoever is selling may be as shocked as you are to find the car has been crash repaired.

The general public can be so blind to bodywork inperfections its stupid; This is the biggest prioblem with insurance repairers rushing and bodging repairs as they know the owner probably won't notice, just as long as the car looks shiny and clean they are happy. (and the main reason why you should always go and have your car repaired at the bodyshop of your choice; your insurer has no right to make that decision, no matter how much they try to bully you).

I should add, that there is nothing wrong with a crashed car that has been repaired; So long as it is repaired properly. Put it this way, if you can tell its been repaired, it has been done badly, done right and you would not be able tell.

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 February 2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 19 February 2007, 12:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a UK turbo and the previous 2 owners were SNet members so I pretty much know its history from day 1.

I would kill to find a straight STI6 Type RA Ltd. I want a standard one so big spec engines aren't for me. I looked at one outside Cardiff a few weeks ago and was horrified at the state of repair the car was in. Whoever rebuilt it even used washers to pack the front wing out to match the doors.

I knew and the seller knew what sort of car it was so I walked. To make things even worse, its on Ebay and a question posted on the page asks if they guy would take a Cat d golf in trade - the sellers response was that he doesn't sell crash-damaged cars.

What a feckin cheek. Some of these cars could be death traps and being a father it makes me sick that people will sell cars that could potentially endanger your whole family.

Its makes it very hard to justify selling a car I know from day 1 for a car I've no idea on its history just so I can fiddle with the diff (and prolly crash anyway!) and sit in posh blue seats.
Old 19 February 2007, 12:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it is pretty much impossible to get an honest seller these days.

That is the reason I will not travel big distances to view cars - 20 miles would be my limit ..... I have been disappointed too often.
Old 19 February 2007, 01:09 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

im the same as eddscott, my car previously owned by 3 snet memebers, merv then scoobynutz then me
Old 19 February 2007, 01:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

SharkMan.

Given the choice of 2 cars though, same price & one subject to crash damage it's a no brainer on what to do! Crash damage would be OK if car was priced accordingly, what seems to happen though is that sellers try to cover it up & sell the car on above it's natural value ...

I would not buy a crash damaged car. Why would you when there are 100's of cars out there not crash damaged?

TX.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
You'll do very, very, VERY well to get a genuine STI 5 nowadays. I detailed mines today which is still the nicest one to have been on PH in the last 4 months and I check daily! Once it was clayed and glazed I could scan from proper imperfections and found considerable evidence of filler. It was sold to me as having 'never' had paint work - by a scoobynet member no less

I've now been lied to or mislead about both my Subaru's that I've bought from Scoobynet and I'd never buy another. In fact, I probably won't travel out of scotland again for a car because no matter how much you beg people to be honest with you via email they will just lie to achieve their own result.

I'm not overly bothered though - the car looks a million bucks now
Who did you use and what did it cost? Wanting mine done in the next week or so.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
SharkMan.

Given the choice of 2 cars though, same price & one subject to crash damage it's a no brainer on what to do! Crash damage would be OK if car was priced accordingly, what seems to happen though is that sellers try to cover it up & sell the car on above it's natural value ...

I would not buy a crash damaged car. Why would you when there are 100's of cars out there not crash damaged?

TX.
My point wasn't about the price, it was about the amount of owners who own cars, that have been damged repaired and unrecorded due to themselves being blind when assesing a car's condition.

You value a car on its condition. Like a car in poor condition; Bad repairs detract from that value in all cases, even trivial "chips away/dent master" type micro-repairs.....its stating the obvious!!!

A tougue in cheek view here: If you had a unrecorded car that was repaired to a very high professional standard, very very few people would be able tell. Now say if that car was concours standard (literally as new). Odds are it would sell easier than a similarly priced model that has never seen a bodyshop in its life but is not concours. In terms of mechanical condition both cars are identical, just one looks new, the other doesn't - with the odd door ding to proove.

Now, taking a naive point of veiw though, a buyer would instantly turn and run a mile from the concours car as soon as the words of crash damage were utterd, despite the repair being done 100% correctly, with no evidence of such a repair, corrosion treatment processes adhered to (waxoyl etc). And the car itself looking in far better condition than the used-but-original example.

Perfect example of this is the classic car restoration industry. Where alot of similar bodywork processes goes on day in day out to crash damaged cars (panel replacement, welding, filler, repraying etc). An original but decaying E-type roadster isn't worth anything near as much when compared to a fully restored concours version. But the restored one probably started out in much worse condition - go figure! Google "848 CRY" this was the E-type crushed by the bucket of a bulldozer in the Italian Job, pulled out the scrap yard and "restored". What value would you place on that car when compared to a non-crashed E-type?....hmmm

Amazing how the phrases "restored" and "crash-repaired" which involve similar work can have such opposite reactions to someone's interpretation of a car's desirability. Despite the repair work involved in both can be very similar.

I'm not condoning anyone lying about a cars condition, and I certainly do not condone badly repaired cars (or badly restored ones ). Just highlighting that because a car has been involved in a crash, it doesn't always make the car worse, even though public naivety would suggest otherwise.

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 February 2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 19 February 2007, 03:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Who did you use and what did it cost? Wanting mine done in the next week or so.
Use for what? If you mean the detailing I did it myself I've got a Dewalt sander/polisher as well but I didn't use it this time as I don't have polishing pads at the moment and its busy sanding stuff in the house
Old 19 February 2007, 06:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

guys,most imprezas have been pranged, its a fast car !!! as long as the works good and done properly i dont see a problem.

if u can find a good undamaged one good, but thats hard !
Old 19 February 2007, 09:15 PM
andy sti
Scooby Regular

The car this guy started the thread about is mine(my wifes anyway), i think it only fair i reply. Firstly i never said there was nothing wrong with the car, and never advertised it as being mint, i said it had the odd stone chip etc, admitidly i did not mention the boot as i had not seen it previously. As for the so called cracks in the boot... the top coating in the boot is like a thick layer of protective plastic that covers the actual boot floor at either side and that is what is cracked, not the actual boot floor, as for being able to see the drive through the crack... there is a small hole but it is no bigger then a pen nib and i would imagine it was done at the factory. i have attached some pics of this as i dont think it's fair i get slattered for this.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot5.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot4.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot3.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot2.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot1.jpg
Old 19 February 2007, 09:25 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy sti
The car this guy started the thread about is mine(my wifes anyway), i think it only fair i reply. Firstly i never said there was nothing wrong with the car, and never advertised it as being mint, i said it had the odd stone chip etc, admitidly i did not mention the boot as i had not seen it previously. As for the so called cracks in the boot... the top coating in the boot is like a thick layer of protective plastic that covers the actual boot floor at either side and that is what is cracked, not the actual boot floor, as for being able to see the drive through the crack... there is a small hole but it is no bigger then a pen nib and i would imagine it was done at the factory. i have attached some pics of this as i dont think it's fair i get slattered for this.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot5.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot4.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot3.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot2.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...iebd/boot1.jpg
How did he see the drive through the crack! It looks like there is a piece of the liner cracked......not the floor pan itself
Old 19 February 2007, 09:29 PM
spoiltboy
Scooby Regular

hi mate it looks ok to me mine looks worse than yours and yes its just the plastic coating thats cracked i think he should wear glasses
Old 19 February 2007, 09:30 PM
andy sti
Scooby Regular

thanks lads
Old 19 February 2007, 09:35 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Hole looks like it's to drain water away

TX.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:37 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Andy, why didnt you tell us that while we were there, if I'm mistaken about seeing daylight through the crack then I apoligise,(but thats how I remember it) its just that we saw it and abviously thought the worst.

Has your car been in a rear ended accident or not?

if not and the boot is actually allright, I'm pretty gutted, cause the car did look very nice and is just what my mate is looking for!
Old 19 February 2007, 09:39 PM
andy sti
Scooby Regular

what water when the plastic cover is stuck down to the floor from factory over the hole
Old 19 February 2007, 09:41 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

And this thread is a perfect example why we prefer people to take these questions and observations off line!! Thread being closed.