FAO Blobeye STI PPP Owners

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 03:06 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Blobeye STI PPP Owners

Hi Guys,

A few questions as I have a MY05 WRX STI Type UK PPP that I purchased around 3 weeks ago from the dealers. I'm enjoying it to the max but as I have never driven another one I have nothing to compare it with. So I have the following questions please:

1) Around what RPM does the turbo wake up on your STI PPP's?

2) What RPM does the turbo wake up on a normal STI Type UK(non PPP)?

3) When going through the gears wanting max power, I have set my rev indicator light/bleep at 7500rpm which is the max u can set it to and then I shift up a gear. Is this the optimum point to set it to or have some of you guys set it earlier because you feel in might be running out of puff to 7500rpm anyway and shift up earlier?

4) For owners with the MY05 STI, what setting have you set the DCCD to? The salesman told me to keep it at the Auto setting. What is the optimum setting for normal driving conditions?

5) How many miles do you guys get to a full tank of fuel?

I look forward to reading your responses. Many thanks in advance
Old 17 February 2007, 03:54 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome to the world where smiles are only removed through surgery!

I dont have PPP so i cant really help with those questions.. but the others i can:

3: Shift light i would set at about 6.8-7k.. the redline on a UK STi is only 7200RPM i think, and by leaving it this late to shift you dont really get any benefits... a good shift is generally around 6800RPM i find as the gearbox ratios are quite close.
4: DCCD-A.. if i want to drive a country road hard, then i leave it in 'Auto' mode as you then have the sensors doing the work of moving the torque from Front-Rear as the Imprezas natural understeer sets in to counter-balance it. A MY05+ STi with the DCCD-A should also be driven with power on where possible, as the 'Auto' mode is as good as useless if it has nothing to work with.
Hint: Do your braking early in a DCCD-A Impreza and power through the corners balancing the car on the throttle to get the best results.
If im cruising the Motorway or doing any strectch that isnt going to really push the car then i set it to 'Rear Bias' (Bottom light on dash) as it seems to feel more relaxed like this (I think this is due to the Diff being in its loosest state)
5: You should get between 17MPG-25MPG with PPP dependant on how hard on the juicey pedal you are.

Hope this helps,

Edit: Here is the PPP Graph with Standard lines for a UK car detailed aswell.

You can see that the power is best delivered between around 4000RPM and 6500RPM with PPP, so use your gears to ensure you stay within this band for optimal performance.

Last edited by marmski; 17 February 2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 17 February 2007, 06:01 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate, that's quite interesting and helpful especially about the shift light and DCCD.

I also felt 7500rpm was abit too late and after looking at the graph you posted, it confirms what you say with peak power being around between 6500 and 6800rpm. I'll also set my shift light at 6800rpm then.

Appreciate your advice mate, thanks.

Anyone else with answers to my questions??

Thanks.
Old 17 February 2007, 08:50 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Anyone else??
Old 17 February 2007, 09:21 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think....never really checked but my STI PPP turbo comes to life not long after 2500rpm compared to just under 3000 non PPP. As said, not really checked but its there or there abouts.
Never checked mpg, put 30quid in when it gets to last quarter, would imagine around 20 ish to the gallon. Its my second Impreza so mpg is not an issue and i am fully aware green peace are not big fans

Originally Posted by jubhi
Hi Guys,

A few questions as I have a MY05 WRX STI Type UK PPP that I purchased around 3 weeks ago from the dealers. I'm enjoying it to the max but as I have never driven another one I have nothing to compare it with. So I have the following questions please:

1) Around what RPM does the turbo wake up on your STI PPP's?

2) What RPM does the turbo wake up on a normal STI Type UK(non PPP)?

3) When going through the gears wanting max power, I have set my rev indicator light/bleep at 7500rpm which is the max u can set it to and then I shift up a gear. Is this the optimum point to set it to or have some of you guys set it earlier because you feel in might be running out of puff to 7500rpm anyway and shift up earlier?

4) For owners with the MY05 STI, what setting have you set the DCCD to? The salesman told me to keep it at the Auto setting. What is the optimum setting for normal driving conditions?

5) How many miles do you guys get to a full tank of fuel?

I look forward to reading your responses. Many thanks in advance
Old 19 February 2007, 03:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

1) By-passed PPP, but would be sooner than standard
2) Full boost was a little under 4000 IIRC
3) Set it for around 6300, by the time you shift it will be about 6500. 6800 or higher is outside optimal.
4) Non-DCCD
5) 220-240 (About £43 of V-Power) of normal driving. Have seen 10 miles per quarter of a tank when giving-it-some.
Old 19 February 2007, 04:08 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Yes similar to Gaz but 04 so can't comment on DCCD.

You start to notice the pull of the turbo around 2750rpm and its on full boost by 3500-3700 gear dependant.

I have my shift light/beep thingy set at 6400. The power tails off quite quickly after that if you wait to see/hear it before changing, also you'll be quite high up the revs in the next gear by then and you'll probably be wasting the power from the lower range of that next gear if that makes sense

And I got: 240 on a motorway run; 200 around town (the odd blip but nothing major); 170 on a hard run. Staying off boost, or as good as, makes a lot of difference to turbo cars in general.

HTH

Now remapped so all that goes out the window
Old 19 February 2007, 04:27 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

3 weeks into MY05PPP ownership...

6800rpm sounds about right.
Boost - not sure
Fuel - Loves it...first couple of tanks down in the 120-130 mark.. have seen 200+... it is directly proportional to right foot
(a remap may help this according to TSL...but at £450...thats a lot of VPower (but 330bhp)
I ran mine on BP Ultimate for one tank, wont touch it again! not good
DCCD, goes sideways enough in Auto with 300bhp so leaving it there for now...nationwide shortage of RE070's so easy on the back tyres.... may wind it back a bit with fresh rubber and try it out.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:52 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

All very useful and intersting stuff