Where do you mount your radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2001, 08:43 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Heh, not that kind of mount

Anyway, I just took delivery of my bel550 and suddenly feel very paranoid about it's location in the middle of the windscreen (at least that's how it feels once it's high enough to look over the wiper blades and has a front\back view. Anyway, some questions:

Where do you mount yours?
Anyone clip it to the sun-visor?
Anyone mount it by the rear-view mirror?
Anyone else feel paranoid?

Also, anyone been pulled by the police when they had their detector in the car? What did you do...... hide it? unplug it? or leave the damn thing alone? I know they are currently legal but I'm a raving paranoid at the moment

Cheers
Old 06 December 2001, 10:31 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

I've got mine top left on passenger side, same height as sun-visa.
All you need now is an LE850 & your fully covered

Got mine hard wired into mains, no dangly wires, nice & tidy
It has saved me a few times in the last 6 months.

shunty
Old 06 December 2001, 10:36 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Same as shunty when I'm prepared, otherwise it just gets lumped where it can rest against the dash dead centre of the windscreen as that is about as far as I can comfortably stretch when sitting at traffic lights.

Never been stopped, but would unplug it from the cigarette lighter just in case (never been tested through the Scottish legal system (to the best of my knowledge) so better sage than sorry).
Old 06 December 2001, 10:58 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

550 clipped to visor next to mirror (the thin bit on the end). Takes about 3 seconds to slip it off and another 5 to chuck it in the centre bin on the dash. Never got round to hardwiring a lead through the roof lining though.

p.s. Has anyone effectively turned off the false signals from mobile phones and movement sensors/doors at filling stations etc?
Old 06 December 2001, 11:33 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I've also got my 550 on the sun visor. I have it on the drivers side, so I can take it down quickly without fiddling, coz in Greece they pull you over from the front of the car, road block technique. They are illegal here. Also if a cop car is behind me, my head blocks the view the policeman would have of the detector.

Another thing I cannot understand is, in the instructions it says to keep it away from direct sunlight, yet they supply the hardware for either the dash fit or the windscreen fit. If fitted there, the sun hits it directly. What would happen to the detector when we have summer here, with temperatures around 40deg Celsius almost everyday? Another reason why it's on the visor.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 06 December 2001, 11:46 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I have a bel ??? drivers side lower corner, never been done whilst had it (11 points until Aug this year) but i must say it slows you down, its never got a camera before me so they are no good on that point, but its made me more aware of my speed cos it bleeps all the time and i wont get rid so it must do something, it bleeps (on cameras) absolutely too late its unbelievable.
Old 06 December 2001, 11:57 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Do you think the 360 degree coverage is worth having the detector in a highly visible location? I don't really see the need for rear detection so placing the detector on the windscreen in front of the driver (so it can't be seen from the rear) is tempting.

Any major reasons why this would be a bad thing?
Old 07 December 2001, 12:02 AM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

As they're still legal, my Valentine One sits in the middle of the windscreen. I've ordered the remote display for it, so once that arrives, i'll be moving it up to between the roof lining and top of the rear-view. It'll lose a little rear detection, but it's not really noticeable - I've already played with various mounting positions: It's least effective at dash level.
The Geodesy sits on the dash with no problems - in fact it even works tucked under the main instrument binnacle.
The K40 sits in the middle of the IC grill.
Anything else? Oh yeah - the eyes in the back of my head are...in the back of my head!
Old 07 December 2001, 01:15 AM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

i got mine on windscreen centrally above dash/wipers so that it should have good forward and rearward view.

It does feel very 'on show' though, unclip it all the time when parked up just on case it gets knicked. Not sure if the the plastic clip will last a few years of this though - but so far so good as far as detection is concerned.

never been pulled by police with it yet (touch wood).

Rich
Old 07 December 2001, 06:51 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

MRK_1V - how are you finding the K40 ? my LE850 has only gone off 3 times, twice when a marked senator went past at speed & once for ???
I feel almost completely covered with them both on, although I have heard that they were testing rear shooting from motorway bridges does anyone know the law on this one? can the police shoot to the rear of our cars ??
Anyone had any experiences where your LE850 has saved you ?? I'm sure there was a group buy on not so long ago for the 550 & a few must have got them both

ps. before the dogooders mail back - yes I know the LE850 is illegal, but mine is ALLWAYS switched off therefore there is no issue.
pps. We need all the help we can get nowadays ya know

shunty
Old 07 December 2001, 09:15 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Mines sits on the dash on the RHS, between the dials and the side window air vent.(MY01) Cables routes easily under the dash and it's easy to see, hit the buttons to mute in town, and remove. Doesn't bounce around like it does if it's mounted using the suckers on the window, & mounting on the visors meant that I couldn't lower the visor.
Old 07 December 2001, 11:50 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I think I'm gonna move my mine to the rhs
Old 04 November 2021, 07:10 PM
mejia.gonzalo21
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sKunk
Heh, not that kind of mount

Anyway, I just took delivery of my bel550 and suddenly feel very paranoid about it's location in the middle of the windscreen (at least that's how it feels once it's high enough to look over the wiper blades and has a front\back view. Anyway, some questions:

Where do you mount yours?
Anyone clip it to the sun-visor?
Anyone mount it by the rear-view mirror?
Anyone else feel paranoid?

Also, anyone been pulled by the police when they had their detector in the car? What did you do...... hide it? unplug it? or leave the damn thing alone? I know they are currently legal but I'm a raving paranoid at the moment

Cheers
if you know they're perfectly legal then whatnthe heck u paranoid about? Sounds like a case of that good o'le eastern Kentucky meth 🤔 😆 🤣 😂
Old 04 November 2021, 08:45 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 249 Posts

20 year old thread.