ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Clutching at straws

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2000, 10:11 AM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Had my MY00 for 6 months now. From when it was new to this day the clutch judders like a priest on a choir boy when cold. Dealer told me this is normal but if it gets worse to bring it back cos the clutch is covered for 25k, i've now done 24k, its no worse but still worries me. The only way to get over it is to give it a few extra revs when setting off, but as the problem only happens when its cold, I dont like doing that cos I never rev my engines over 2500 rpm until fully warm. Anybody else have this prob?
Old 16 November 2000, 10:17 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Smile

I Have a MY00 with 6800 miles on the clock and occasionaly get slight clutch judder from cold.

The other thing I have noticed is that the clutch seems far more unforgiving than the clutch in the car I took for a test drive (MY98 17000 miles). In my car you have to be careful when changing down into second gear at low speeds to let the clutch out very slowly otherwise you get a bit of judder. Also when changing at high revs you also have to let the clutch out slowly to avoid a jolt through the transmission. It is as if the clutch is more on/off than any other car I have ever driven

Anybody any idea if the later cars have a different clutch to earlier cars??
Old 16 November 2000, 10:21 AM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same as mine flower.....very fierce clutch. Solid when yer really motoring so maybe thats the price ya pay.
Old 16 November 2000, 01:37 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Hello there Billy Boy, still into the Lancastrian colloquial terminology I see. We'll have Alan Tichmarch posting here next

To get an informed response should't you post this in drivetrain?

Done around 25k in a 98, half that in a 99. both prone to OCCASIONAL judder when cold. Joey never have a problem chaging down but the "jolt" maybe just a personal interpretation. Let someone else drive it and see how they find it or take a run out in a demo with similar miles.

P.S. 99 bought with 6k on the clock, no change in clutch action.

B

Old 16 November 2000, 01:41 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

William, do a search on "clutch judder".

It seems they all do that sir. I get it on my MY00 (12 months 15k now)when cold but infrequently, oddly enough.

I know people who've posted on here have had the clutch and flywheel changed under warranty, and it seems Subaru do confess it's not all it should be in some way or other.

I think the expression is obfuscation. You have to press them quite hard, but if it bugs you enough, they will replace it.
Old 16 November 2000, 02:12 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Smile

Aye chaps, tis true, the Dealers do own up to the fact that Scooby Clutch's are reknowned for said judder.

I took my MY00 in for it's 7500 service, dealer asked if everything was ok, I said the clutch was juddering on cold mornings. He said, ah! We are replacing a clutch and flywheel under warranty at a rate of about 1 a week.

So I booked it in there and then. He did say that the replacement was a different spec (not sure what, beefed up probably) and since then Ihave had no trouble at all. I am now upto 12000 miles, and not even in this particularly cold and misty weather we have been having lately has it been a problem.

So, I would get it done now. And then you have a new clutch guaranteed for another 25,000 miles.

I think that Stef has had his clutch replaced twice under warranty, but I could be wrong.

So Billy M8, the choice is yours!!

Jamie
Old 16 November 2000, 08:27 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Question

Joey,

How is your sticky clutch?

Scotty.

Old 16 November 2000, 10:18 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Just had my clutch replaced on my99.
Seems very different no controlling the judder now.

Dave.

Done at Walldonways in Maidstone..
Old 16 November 2000, 11:31 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

2nd clutch under warranty.

New clutch material of replacments will prob = shorter life span due to softer material.

Even with new material my secont clutch started juddering at 30,000ish.

Jye