ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Will Subaru ever better the P1?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 09:45 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Subaru ever better the P1?

I had a P1 a few years ago, and have now moved onto a Bugeye STI UK ppp.

My old P1 was fairly standard, but with 18's, De-cat downpipe, and 6 pot ap's. The car was fantastic in every way. It was very quick and power delivery was spot on, it was comfy and well built, it looked the nuts, but most of all....the handling and suspension was genius!
I could never understand how a car run such low profile tyres, and fairly stiff low suspension, could give such a good ride and inspire such confidence, even on fast bumpy bends that would usually throw a car out of shape.
The P1 was never crashy, and always seemed well damped, but still had the ability and feedback of a go kart!

I was hoping that a Newage prodrive STI would be much of the same, and don't get me wrong, my car is still the dogs danglies and i love it, but it just doesn't feel as good as the P1 did.
Its certainly as fast, probably better built, and comfy, but when it comes to outright stability and handling it just doesn't feel as good.

Cars like the WR1, and each new STI version that comes out just get caned for having handling problems. Either too harsh or unstable, and even the spec C is said to be ace on the track, but no good on british roads.

If Subaru/Prodrive could do what they did with the P1 seven years ago, then why aren't newage versions just as good, out of the box?!

I've got some Prodrive springs to fit, and i'll soon invest in some 18's with my favorite Goodyear F1's. But i'm not expecting miracles.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:04 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

They already have done, Spec C

TX.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Steve Fort
... even the spec C is said to be ace on the track, but no good on british roads ...

TX.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:16 PM
robby1
Scooby Regular

Have to wait and see when the RB320 comes out.Looks good to me.
Bob(p1 owner for 3 years)
Old 06 February 2007, 10:17 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

After driving a mates P1 I was hooked on Subaru's. So i bought a bugeye wrx (no offence) I got very bored of it, very soon and decided to sell it, and buy my mates P1 .

After going through a multitude of emotions about the prospect of owning a P1(another arguement), fate took it's course and he sold it before I could sell the wrx.

I now own a blob sti with around 340 brake which is a hoot, but it just doesn't provide that thrill that the P1 did. Wether it's like one of those distant memories that nothing will ever live up to, I don't know, but I for one, certainly regard the P1 as an awesome alrounder with the looks to match.

The newage cars are undoubtedly more reliable etc, etc, but the fact that they are bigger, heavier, fatter make them less appealing to me and contibute to the reduction in all round performance. All imo.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:20 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Sorry. In answer to your question, no they won't.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:38 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Will Subaru ever better the P1?
They did with the STi type R... lol
There both awesome cars though ain't they...
Old 06 February 2007, 11:34 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I will second the STI Type R
Old 07 February 2007, 12:26 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

But is the question can a newage car beat a P1 up the lanes or beat it in Looks ?? Undoubtly the P1/22B/type R's were "the best looking" as Iconic Style but will never be replicated. Soon those classics will be "Classic's"

Performance wise

an out the box Spec C with less money spent to make it's suspension and performance "UK' comaptable as the P1 did would beat an out the box P1. The new lighter 07/08 Car will certianly whoop it as it's a smaller Car. IMHO

Weither either Newage cars would look better is an opinion and not a fact

As for the RB320 I reckon the best newage UK scoob produced to date the handling is just right OK performance is good but not phenomimal. I could see a few P1 owners trying for one

Tony
Old 07 February 2007, 11:42 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

I owned a p1 for almost 3 years and in my opinion the only Scooby that I can say that is better than the p1 hands down is the Type 25 but that is not straight off the Scooby production line so the answer to the question is NO!

As for the Type R and spec C again we are not talking about which car is the fastest but which is the best all rounder straight from the production line so that takes them off list.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:48 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
After driving a mates P1 I was hooked on Subaru's. So i bought a bugeye wrx (no offence) I got very bored of it, very soon and decided to sell it, and buy my mates P1 .

After going through a multitude of emotions about the prospect of owning a P1(another arguement), fate took it's course and he sold it before I could sell the wrx.

I now own a blob sti with around 340 brake which is a hoot, but it just doesn't provide that thrill that the P1 did. Wether it's like one of those distant memories that nothing will ever live up to, I don't know, but I for one, certainly regard the P1 as an awesome alrounder with the looks to match.

The newage cars are undoubtedly more reliable etc, etc, but the fact that they are bigger, heavier, fatter make them less appealing to me and contibute to the reduction in all round performance. All imo.
Lovely ego boosting write up there Bob - very kind.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:57 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I was hoping that a Newage prodrive STI would be much of the same, and don't get me wrong, my car is still the dogs danglies and i love it, but it just doesn't feel as good as the P1 did.
Its certainly as fast, probably better built, and comfy, but when it comes to outright stability and handling it just doesn't feel as good.
Have you tried some whiteline goodies (ARB, DL, ALK) and a good geometry setup?

This made a massive improvement.
Old 07 February 2007, 12:06 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

They did with the 22B
Old 07 February 2007, 12:24 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

The 22B was released 'before' the P1
Old 07 February 2007, 01:46 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I will second the STI Type R
And i'll 3rd it
Old 07 February 2007, 01:49 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Not getting involved
But they did make the Version 6
Old 07 February 2007, 01:56 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

They will never beat it with this version Impreza due to it's weight.

In order to increase stiffness, they had to put lots of weight in the A pillars and roof, giving a higher centre of gravity.

This means in order to stop it rolling they had to put in stiffer ARBs, springs and dampers, giving a very harsh ride (shown in the Spec C). In order to get rid of the harshness for british cars they softened the dampers and ARBs, which meant more roll / weight transfer and therefore less go-kart like handling.

Newage cars are better cars though.... in the same way an MX5 is better than a Caterham.

Its all to do with weight!
Old 07 February 2007, 02:34 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

sti type r 5 0r 6
Old 07 February 2007, 02:36 PM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
sti type r 5 0r 6
Old 07 February 2007, 03:09 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PICKLE
The 22B was released 'before' the P1
In which I beleive was better than the P1

IMO
Old 07 February 2007, 03:14 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

You mean will Prodrive ever better the P1?
Old 07 February 2007, 03:24 PM
chaz1406
Scooby Newbie

P1's very nice cars. Enginering genius
Old 07 February 2007, 07:01 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Looks like the answer is a no then!

Due to safety regs etc, scoobs have got to be bigger and heavier, which kinda ***** the whole thing up straight away, and makes it practically and physically impossible for a factory Impreza to recapture the P1's magic.

As for the Type R. You miss the point of my question. A Type R is very similar to the P1 (it is more or less the same car) but its less of a compromise in the real world due to the lower ratio box, and the engine seems much peakier. Suspension as standard is also not as good IMO.

Spec C has the similar problem. It is arguably the best scoob ever for tear arsing about. But to live with every day as your only car, i'm not too sure (having never owned one!) It isn't sold as a UK car either, is it?

22B was also more of a track tool and criticised for being bit of a bitch to live with everyday, it was also before the P1 so doesn't count.

Type 25 sounds the bollocks, but like previously mentioned, its not sold officially by Subaru UK.

It looks like the only way to go is aftermarket unfortunatly.

Last edited by Steve Fort; 07 February 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've owned both a 22b and a P1, the P1 is the better car for the UK. I've no experience of anything after the P1 'cause new shapes don't appeal to me in the slightest. Oh, and the P1 is better for everyday driving than a typeR (yes I've owned one of them too )
Old 07 February 2007, 07:15 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Hawkeye STi Spec C Type R-RA

Clearly the best subaru ever made, it makes me erect just thinking about it.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:38 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Spec C has the similar problem. It is arguably the best scoob ever for tear arsing about. But to live with every day as your only car, i'm not too sure (having never owned one!) It isn't sold as a UK car either, is it?
Well, I live with one everyday (have done for the past two years) and love it. I have another car for short local journeys but that's more a matter of economy and being less paranoid about leaving it in car parks. I'd take the C if I didn't worry about those things.

I've driven a couple of P1s and they are fantastic cars. As a driver's car (on the track or UK roads) the C is better IMO. It's every bit as exciting and is technically better too. But the P1 is a very evocative car: it was the first UK performance special (excluding the 16 UK 22Bs) and I think it is easily the best looking car Subaru has ever produced (including the 22Bs). Mine looks like a standard WRX with a roof vent.

I had the choice to buy a P1 or a C and don't regret buying the C one bit. I just wish I could have had a P1 instead of the UK turbo I bought before the C.

Last edited by spec-cie; 07 February 2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07 February 2007, 08:31 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Yeh, 555 WRC Special Edition STi Type RA
Subaru Impreza STi5 type RA 555 WRC LIMITED Edition 0170/1000
Old 07 February 2007, 09:51 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

. A Type R is similar to the P1
True

(it is more or less the same car)
Not quite true

Sorry steve , not having a go at you, When i had my Type R V ltd (which has the longer 5th gear and 8+Krpm) I had loads of P1 owners say the P1 was built or converted from a Sti Type R and a Remap for UK fuel.

Mike Wood did explain there derivitive below

Originally Posted by MikeWood

The show cars were built from Blue STi V5 Type Rs made to look the part ( we used the white one for development as we had it 'in stock' and couldn't wait for blue ones to arrive.

A P1 isn't a Type R with bits removed, it best described as a V6 4 door built into a2 door bodyshell with Type R suspension. Bit more complex than that as some parts were fitted in Japan and more were fitted in the UK but it's more correct than saying it's a low spec Type R.
Tony
Old 07 February 2007, 10:09 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

"A P1 isn't a Type R with bits removed, it best described as a V6 4 door built into a2 door bodyshell with Type R suspension. Bit more complex than that as some parts were fitted in Japan and more were fitted in the UK but it's more correct than saying it's a low spec Type R."

That will get em Fired up.
Old 07 February 2007, 10:27 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

p1 ? the best ?? with bottom ends going left right and centre i certainly think not.. jap sti any one of them ! take yer pick ! although the p1 looks good ! just my two bobs worth...

Quick Reply: Will Subaru ever better the P1?