WRX Import or UK 2000. Pros n Cons

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2007, 10:09 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Import or UK 2000. Pros n Cons

Hi All,

Its been a while since my last Scoob, but Im looking to buy another, but Im only going to spend around £3.5k, as I need funds for OZ papers

Anyhooo, is there more pros than cons in getting a UK model???

1, Obviously Insurance on the UK Cars

2, UK Engines can run on Standard Unleaded (95)

3, Do Jap motors not rust as much???

4, Rear Wash Wipe on the Jap Saloons

5, and history on the UK cars, but at 3.5k, Im not expecting FSH.

Sorry if its been asked a MILLION times before

Your thoughts please
Old 31 January 2007, 10:37 PM
Chapman81
Scooby Regular

Default turbo 2000 vs wrx import

Hi, i think for around 3500 k your best bet would be an early 93,94,95 model wrx import. There are plenty of them around. I think good ones start at around 3500 but prices vary. They produce more power than there uk counterpart. Even if you buy a uk model I still wouldn't run it on 95 ron fuel. Depends on how hard you will drive it I guess. If you're commuting to and from work and driving it easy then 95 ron fuel would be ok but not for anything else. As for the rust issue that depends on how clean you keep your car throughout the winter and make sure if you buy an import that it has been properly undersealed. I have never owned a uk model impreza as I don't think they are good value for money when compared to japanese spec cars. Hope this helps. One more thing if you buy a japanese car don't expect to see much history. At a bare minimum most importers will provide you with a JUMVEA or BIMTA mileage certificate or even an auction grade certificate. If you don't have any documentation to prove that the cambelt has been changed then make that your first priority.

Good Luck
Old 01 February 2007, 08:11 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chapman

I think the extra 300 on the insurance is cheaper than paying over the odds for a UK model, although I have seen quite a few UK Wagons going for around 3.5k in very good condition.
It's only gonna be a run around to I finally get into OZ, so as long as the mechanics are fine, and the body is nice, Im not too fussed. I just miss that flat four burble and the power

PS, Im wih A-Plan at the moment, are they the best for insuring Imports????
Old 01 February 2007, 06:22 PM
micared-prodrive
Scooby Regular

uk spec car without question................ and that doesnt mean i have any probs with imports its just ive found it easier with a uk spec car in regards to parts etc...
Old 01 February 2007, 07:15 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

Import all the way alot more power, air con, climate control folding mirrors, rear wiper 112 mph ooops no thats the downside lol
Old 01 February 2007, 07:26 PM
stychey
Scooby Regular

uk models= cheaper ins,easy to get parts,servicing isnt a problem(i found some dealers wont do imports) ,uk cars hold value better with exception to limited edition import models,most uk cars come with a good fsh knowing the car has been looked after, then again you can have problems with anycar even brand new.

jdm imports = better spec,cheaper to buy

Last edited by stychey; 01 February 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 08:57 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared-prodrive
uk spec car without question................ and that doesnt mean i have any probs with imports its just ive found it easier with a uk spec car in regards to parts etc...
Example?
Old 02 February 2007, 09:05 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the parts for imports just as easily as you can UK spec cars (speaking about classics) as most of the parts are the same.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:12 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LIDDO
1, Obviously Insurance on the UK Cars
My quote was 10% more expensive for my JDM than UK (with A Plan) ...& was the same when I added Mods upto 280 bhp

2, UK Engines can run on Standard Unleaded (95)
True, but a JDM of the age you're looking at will be fine on 97/98/99

3, Do Jap motors not rust as much???
No, but they will have had less cr4ppy salt to deal with over in Japan hence why they dont bother undersealing ...so get it undersealed (£100)

4, Rear Wash Wipe on the Jap Saloons
Plus a few other things

5, and history on the UK cars, but at 3.5k, Im not expecting FSH.
Not all Imports come without service history ...mine did have FSH, but useless unless you can read Japanese ...& backwards

This may sound pro JDM ...It isn't, I'd go on overall condition/spec rather than JDM/UK when it come's to buying a Classic

Last edited by DazW; 02 February 2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:38 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Got to admit I've always been pro UK purely because I feel they are less of a risk to purchase, less of a worry to run and cheaper to run to - not arguing with anyone its the way I feel - just the same as many will say JDM cars rule full stop.

However, IF I buy another classic it WILL be an imported car becuase I have my heart set on V6 STI RA. As these weren't available here I have no choice but to buy an import so condition of the car is priority over where its come from.

Sadly finding one that hasn't been smashed to bits and poorly repaired is proving difficult!
Old 02 February 2007, 10:41 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replys guys, very much appreiciated

Cant wait to get behind the wheel of another Scoob, and next time I feel their too costly to run, I'll crack myself in the head, and tell myself their worth the little extra running costs

Now, just gotta sell the BM and start looking.

See you all at the Northern Big One hopefully May isnt it
Old 02 February 2007, 10:48 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

one thing i will say though mate!
if you get a 2000 the car is only 6-7 years old and if been looked after still feels new where a jap 1993 car is like13-14 years old!
i know wich one id rather have!
2000's look much nicer from the front to!
Old 02 February 2007, 01:46 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RUDDY
one thing i will say though mate!
if you get a 2000 the car is only 6-7 years old and if been looked after still feels new where a jap 1993 car is like13-14 years old!
i know wich one id rather have!
2000's look much nicer from the front to!
I think he means a 'Turbo 2000' rather than the model year.
Old 02 February 2007, 06:41 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Slightly biased response here but I have a MY99 WRX which I have owned since 2000. It was imported into the country from new and had 11k (miles) on the clock when I bought it.

It has been brilliant with a minor (actually major but it was a long time ago now!!! - thank you API – excellent service) problem of a blown big end at 80k which was probably my fault as it had started using oil without warning me and the service before it blew had advised me the oil was off the dipstick whereas previously it had not used any.

It has now done 144k with no problems other than normal service items although I have replaced all the shocks recently owing to an annoying low speed squeak. In terms of performance they were still working fine.

The problem I now have is that I need to replace it for a new(er) model and am struggling to match the spec I have. Ie 276 BHP in a relatively lightweight shell (ie quicker than current models), climate control, folding mirrors, sunroof, rear washwipe low rear spoiler (I prefer the understated look!) and 25% tax liability rather than 35% because it has no official CO2 info!

I have never had a serious problem with servicing or parts (except from my local dealer Bell and Colvill at West Horsley who are pants as they refused to do anything and I gave up trying very early on!) Thankfully, this does not appear to be universal and I have only needed to travel a bit further for servicing. In fact, apart from a couple of trips to Powerstation for specific reasons the full service history is by Subaru or ex Subaru dealers and I have never had to wait for any parts except when my badge was pinched and the “import” badge was not in stock. Can’t really complain at that.

Last edited by GeeDee; 02 February 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 08:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do like to live life on the edge don't you Rob ?

David APi
Old 02 February 2007, 08:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If its the old 240bhp wrx its no real biggy

Which reminds me. Lots of people advertise their WRX imports as 280bhp. when they are infact the older 240bhp or 260bhp models. Which, on the upside are less fussy on fuel. Just something to be aware of when scouring autotrader.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan

That said I run my WRX Wagon on 97 RON and no addatives, but the map on the wagon is less agressive than the salon.

Rob

Is this a discreet reference to the Audi TT ?
Old 05 February 2007, 08:54 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
If its the old 240bhp wrx its no real biggy

Which reminds me. Lots of people advertise their WRX imports as 280bhp. when they are infact the older 240bhp or 260bhp models. Which, on the upside are less fussy on fuel. Just something to be aware of when scouring autotrader.
Check out the FAQ on the SIDC site for power differences:

Subaru Impreza FAQ