Clutch Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2007, 11:16 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Burning Smell

Hi Guys,

I have a MY05 WRX STI PPP with 16,000 miles on it. Just picked it up a week ago.

I've had a few blasts in it since getting it but for the first time today I gave it a proper launch from the lights. By this I mean I held it at around 3500rpm and released the clutch and went through the gears all the way to fourth. I was literally blown away by the acceleration and power the car has.

However, when I pulled up at the next lights I could smell the clutch burning, I got worried and put this down to the serious launch I gave it 2 mins earlier. Should I be worried about something? I wouldn't have expected that to happen, I'm now worried about launching the car like that again.

I thought Scoobies could take launches like that no probs. Does this mean the clutch is on its way or something? Or is this normal on Scoobies.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 30 January 2007, 11:21 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

its all in the technique, dont feather the clutch, just get your foot of it as fast as possible! Ive learnt the hard way, my clutch is knackered, but a nice new exceedy twin plate organic is on its way
Old 30 January 2007, 11:51 PM
micared-prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jubhi
Hi Guys,

I have a MY05 WRX STI PPP with 16,000 miles on it. Just picked it up a week ago.

I've had a few blasts in it since getting it but for the first time today I gave it a proper launch from the lights. By this I mean I held it at around 3500rpm and released the clutch and went through the gears all the way to fourth. I was literally blown away by the acceleration and power the car has.

However, when I pulled up at the next lights I could smell the clutch burning, I got worried and put this down to the serious launch I gave it 2 mins earlier. Should I be worried about something? I wouldn't have expected that to happen, I'm now worried about launching the car like that again.

I thought Scoobies could take launches like that no probs. Does this mean the clutch is on its way or something? Or is this normal on Scoobies.

Many thanks in advance.
dont worry one bit..........most of my scoobs have done that when i launch warp factor speeds from lights.....the smell goes,until the next time......lol...............dont worry m8
Old 31 January 2007, 12:00 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

think of it this way, when you run up and penalty kick yer dog when it aint looking, would you be surprised to smell ****e ??? .........eh, no ! so its normal then ! dont let that stop ye ! there are loads of clutches out there !
Old 31 January 2007, 12:07 AM
micared-prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
think of it this way, when you run up and penalty kick yer dog when it aint looking, would you be surprised to smell ****e ??? .........eh, no ! so its normal then ! dont let that stop ye ! there are loads of clutches out there !
pmsl
Old 31 January 2007, 12:13 AM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

standard clutches cant really take too many full bore launches (around 5k rpm)...but clutch smell is common on a launch...just get something like an exedy performance clutch if your looking to be launching on a regular bases like me

Last edited by prince_of_tokyo; 31 January 2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 31 January 2007, 12:15 AM
micared-prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
standard clutches cant really take too many full bore launches (around 5k rpm)...but clutch smell is common on a launch...just get something like an exedy performance cluth if your looking to be launching on a regular bases like me
spot on .....
Old 31 January 2007, 08:22 AM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I like the way you guys think

I feel much more at ease now.

Thanks again