Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza Classic to 2006/7 or Legacy spec B???

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 06:25 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Classic to 2006/7 or Legacy spec B???

Well, the time has finally come to move on from my standard Classic WRX (MY99 relatively lightweight with 276bhp, small rear spoiler, sunroof, climate control, good handling but not too firm ie an understated rocket ship which is ok as a family car) to something else and I have a few questions for those who have also moved on.

1 What is the rear legroom like in a 2006/7 Impreza compared with the Classic?

2 Is the Air Con on the latest cars Air Con (ie on or off) or Climate Control (set temperature and place on auto)? Spec sheets call it Automatic Air Con which is confusing me!

3 Apart from the latest SL versions (don’t like leather!!) are there any sunroof options?

4 How does ride compare between my Classic WRX to 2006/7 WRX to WRX STi?

5 Has anyone moved from an Impreza to a Spec B Legacy? What are the comparisons in handling and performance?

It is appearing to be tricky to match what I currently have with the newer models and I would prefer not to go backwards. So, if anyone can recommend something which has the spec/features of my current car I would be most appreciative. Big spoilers and loud exhausts are not an option I want to pursue.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by GeeDee; 30 January 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 30 January 2007, 05:46 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Anyone?

Answers to Qs 1 and 4 would be nice folowed by 5. The others I can get from the dealers.
Old 30 January 2007, 06:34 PM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Smile

I just changed from a classic to a 06 WRX. Here's what I think:

1. Obviously I don't sit in the back and I don't have too many passengers, but on looks alone I have to say rear legroom looks a tiny bit smaller.

2. You can set a temperature, place in auto and the air-con will keep the cabin at that temperature. Why it's not called climate control, I don't know.

3. No idea

4. Ride is similar in quality. The delivery of power is smoother, so slightly less turbo kick, but suspension is similar. I think it's the tyres on my new scoob that make me "bounce" just a little more - I don't think the suspension is more bouncy.

Would like to hear other opinions. The steering feel is completely different in a new scoob, I feel less secure and connected to the road in the new one - I'm hoping that's a confidence thing with the new car. The steering is lighter with a bit less feedback, IMHO.
Old 30 January 2007, 07:30 PM
No-bars Krud
Scooby Regular

Location: SIDC East Sussex Regional Organiser and 555 Wagon Squadron Flight Officer

Hi there

Not moved on from a classic (MY00 Turbo) but also got a Spec B in 2005 for Wifey after two Forester Turbos.

Biggest complaint is the steering feel. The Impreza has all the usual steering and suspension mods so is nicer to drive from that angle. The Legacy feels somehow disconnected and the steering is too quick for my liking.

Performance wise the two feel very different. I have a bigger turbo on the Impreza so there is plenty of shove, and the comparison is therefore unfair. The Legacy really loosened up after 10k and also has excellent acceleration but doesn't shove you into the seat.

I spent a lot of money on the Impreza suspension to make it handle better. The Legacy has it all there as standard - Bilsteins etc. I hated Bridgestones on the Impreza - on the Legacy they are fantastic.

The Legacy cabin is in a different league, and the steering wheel is smaller.

If you have any specific questions after that, fire away.

Keith
Old 31 January 2007, 09:33 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your responses.

Originally Posted by Ravster
1. Obviously I don't sit in the back and I don't have too many passengers, but on looks alone I have to say rear legroom looks a tiny bit smaller.
Bad news! I was hoping for more room or, at worst, the same!!

Originally Posted by Ravster
4. Ride is similar in quality. The delivery of power is smoother, so slightly less turbo kick, but suspension is similar. I think it's the tyres on my new scoob that make me "bounce" just a little more - I don't think the suspension is more bouncy.
Anyone with an STi would like to comment on ride quality?

Originally Posted by No-bars Krud
Biggest complaint is the steering feel. The Impreza has all the usual steering and suspension mods so is nicer to drive from that angle. The Legacy feels somehow disconnected and the steering is too quick for my liking.
I quite like the idea of steering which is “too quick”! I’ve often wondered why, with today’s power steering capabilities, steering can not be 1 turn lock to lock! Would make controlling slides that much easier if you do not need to feed the wheel. Just need to get used to the Kart like steering!

Performance wise the two feel very different. I have a bigger turbo on the Impreza so there is plenty of shove, and the comparison is therefore unfair. The Legacy really loosened up after 10k and also has excellent acceleration but doesn't shove you into the seat.
What is the 0-60 of your Legacy out of interest?

The Legacy cabin is in a different league
I assume you mean much bigger - certainly seems to have better toys.