Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How long should I wait before giving it some.......

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 04:43 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should I wait before giving it some.......

stick??

From a cold start that is.

I have a MY05 WRX STI PPP and so how long should I allow for the engine to warm up before I give it some throttle, i.e. go into the turbo zone?

I had a CTR before and would normally give that around 10 mins b4 I put my foot down, also u wern't able to use the VTEC until the engine was at the right temp.

Is there anything similar on the Scoobs??

Thanks in advance
Old 29 January 2007, 04:53 PM
fattb
Scooby Regular

Personally i would wait until the temp gauge resides in its normal position and add a couple of mins to make sure, not just in my Scoob but any car
Old 29 January 2007, 04:57 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

The general concencus is to let the oil warm up before opening it up. however the manual says let the engine get up to temperature. given there's no oil temperature gauge as std once the water is warm go for it. wouldn't do that in my own car though.
Old 29 January 2007, 05:31 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

The water temps rise alot quicker than the oil, so using this as a guide isn't ideal.

Around 10 mins of running should see you fit to cane it

Rob
Old 29 January 2007, 05:38 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

i let mine warm up for a good 10 miles before i start to cain it... just like to know everything is running at temp as it should be... keep it below 3.5k before hand...
Old 29 January 2007, 05:50 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

In 18 years of driving (15 years in turbo cars) I've never waited more than about 2 or 3 miles and never had an engine problem. The water temp is up there after about a mile.

I think you can get too hung up on the whole warming up thing, just boot it and enjoy it!
Old 29 January 2007, 07:38 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Depends on how long you want to hang onto your car and how you want to answer potential purchasers when you come to sell it who ask "Has it always been warmed up properly?" I always let mine warm up for a good ten minutes, so no hooning out of the drive, especially on cold mornings!
Old 29 January 2007, 07:51 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I look at the temp gauge and when it tells me the engine is no longer cold, I then know it is no longer cold. I then conclude that as it is no longer cold it is probably warm. I then conclude that as it is warm that it must be warm. If your car is lacking a temperature gauge, I sugggest allowing about 10 minutes before hard accelleration. If your car is lacking a clock and you do not have a watch, I can only suggest cellotaping a chocolate bar to the bonnet. Once melted, go for it... This may not be quite as scientific in the summer...
Old 29 January 2007, 09:53 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, lol at the last reply though!!!
Old 29 January 2007, 10:20 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-up-temp.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...mperature.html

Originally Posted by Brun
Did a test on the way home from work this morning
@ 1.3 miles the car showed normal water temp.
@ 1.4 miles the oil gauge registered 50c
@ 2.0 miles the oil was 70c
@ 3.1 miles the oil was 80c
@ 5.4 miles the oil was 90c where i stays really unless i'm on the motorway or booting it.

The most i've ever seen was 105c on a really hot day with the foot to the floor
This test was done in 30 and 40 limits under 3k and off boost
Figures speak for themselves.

Mark
Old 29 January 2007, 10:25 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I always leave mine idling for at least ten minutes before even taking it off the drive! Mainly to **** the neighbours off though.lol
Old 29 January 2007, 11:19 PM
New_scooby_04

If I recall correctly, Brun also did a similar test on a cold winter morning and found that the oil took about 8-9 miles to get up to temp.

I give mine about 10 miles before going above 2.5k Maybe a bit excessive, but giving a car some stick before the fluids are warmed up is a big no, no for engine longevity and I'd rather err or on the side of caution.

Must get that Oil temp guage!!!!

Ns04
Old 29 January 2007, 11:32 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i keep off the power until the oil is above 80 degrees and don't fully open the car up until oil temp. is approx. 90 degrees. This takes about 15 min and 5 miles currently though type of road/traffic etc all play a part in this. Don't assume the water temp accurately reflects oils temp!
Old 30 January 2007, 12:59 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

Oil usually takes twice as long as the water to warm up.
Old 30 January 2007, 07:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Take it out of your drive and nail the **** out of it .......let the next guy worry about it blowing up

Anyone got evidence of a standard new age Subaru with under 60K miles going pop because it wasn't properly warmed up?
Old 30 January 2007, 07:57 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that low revs can be as bad as high revs; ages ago Cars and Car Conversions magazine ran an article saying that leaving a car ticking over wasn't too good for it, much better to run it on a fast idle (1.5-2k maybe, can't remember, may have been even higher).

Everyone's got their own method I guess but I wouldn't leave mine ticking over to warm it up, I'd drive it. I stick to between 2k - 2.5k ish when warming it up driving; wait for water temp to get up, drive a few miles more and then start using more revs.

It is typical though that you generally get the chance of overtaking etc. when the car's cold (or showing some d*ck in their <insert make> clutter how to drive when on a private track).
Old 30 January 2007, 11:44 AM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Don't forget that low revs can be as bad as high revs; ages ago Cars and Car Conversions magazine ran an article saying that leaving a car ticking over wasn't too good for it, much better to run it on a fast idle (1.5-2k maybe, can't remember, may have been even higher).
Don't remember the article but yes, thats absolutely right. An engine shouldn't be run at idle when cold, it requires a load, but I can't remember why
Even more of an issue with diesel engines where they don't have an ideal operating temp for combustion i.e. bore wash (or whatever you know it as)

Originally Posted by ru'
Everyone's got their own method I guess but I wouldn't leave mine ticking over to warm it up, I'd drive it. I stick to between 2k - 2.5k ish when warming it up driving; wait for water temp to get up, drive a few miles more and then start using more revs.
When I drive away from cold I tend to keep the revs below 4k but above 2k where possible for a good 2 or 3 miles. After that I just make sure I don't go over 4k until the temp gauge is in normal position and then build up slowly. I have my rev limit beep thingy set at 6200 revs and I'll never hit until I've done at least 5 miles or so.

But then I rarely go over that ever anyway
Old 30 January 2007, 11:53 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

It's difficult to maintain hydrodynamic lubrication of the bearings at light load. The oil film thickness struggles to maintain it's self.