Sponsored by:

Breaking in for keys?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 10:09 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in for keys?

Noticed a couple of threads where houses have been broken into, keys taken and cars stolen off the drive and just wondered.

Anyone remember that documentary where they got an ex-burglar to go round a neighbourhood and look at how appealing some of the houses were to potential burglars? I remember him coming across one house with an obviously active alarm system, and he basically said he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, because it wasn't worth the risk of going near a house with an alarm on.

I know in most cases people only fit home alarms once they have actually been burgled, but I just wondered if anyone else felt a bit safer about leaving their cars on the drive because they have a burglar alarm fitted?
Old 24 January 2007, 10:18 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Less than £250 for a wireless system from Screw fix. Takes an afternoon to fit, You get money off you insurance.

Makes me sleep like easy at night!!!!
Old 24 January 2007, 10:27 AM
MisterAdam
Scooby Regular

Got an alarm on the house and the car, but i sleep with my keys by my bed anyway along with my wallet and watch, so even if i didn't have a house alarm there's not much chance someone could get the keys for the car.

I've heard of thiefs turning up to houses with long sticks to poke through letter boxes, and taking keys from people who have key hangers right by the door. That way they can either fish your car keys out, or get the key for the front door and let themselves in
Old 24 January 2007, 01:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MisterAdam
Got an alarm on the house and the car, but i sleep with my keys by my bed anyway along with my wallet and watch, so even if i didn't have a house alarm there's not much chance someone could get the keys for the car.
until they came upstairs and battered your head in with a baseball bat and then did the wife and kids for fun before taking your keys, wallet and watch.

I would just leave em downstairs where they stand a chance of finding them and not disturbing you and your family.

But that is just me as I am not hard enough to takle an armed burglar when aroused from my slumber at 0dark30 in the morning.
Old 24 January 2007, 01:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Yes there's always the argument for making it as easy as possible for the potential burglar

As above, keys watch and wallet with me at all times, especially when in bed.
Old 24 January 2007, 01:12 PM
MisterAdam
Scooby Regular

My creaky stairs would wake me up, as well as waking the dead Giving me a chance to get to the top of the stairs intime to push the ******* down them.

I see your point though, but i cant see someone thats braking into a house to steal a car doing ABH on the people inside, its more hasstle than its worth. Unless the person broke into the house with the sole purpose of causing harm to the occupaints (sp?).

But luckily we've had the sense to fit a burglar alarm along with other security measures to ensure that nothing like this happens
Old 24 January 2007, 01:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Mine live in my coat pocket on the back of the dinning room chair so not on show but also not with me, I don't understand why people feel the need to leave keys lying around anyway, leave em in your coat pocket then you will not lose them!

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2007, 01:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Less than £250 for a wireless system from Screw fix. Takes an afternoon to fit, You get money off you insurance.
Discounts are only available on systems which have an annual maintenance contract AFAIK
Old 24 January 2007, 01:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

One of these sat by the front door does wonders:-

Old 24 January 2007, 01:36 PM
scooby595
Scooby Regular

I keep my car keys, in the key cabinet, then lock the key for said cabinet in the safe !!

at the end of the day though, if they broke in and wanted the keys, they could happily have them. Nothing's more important to me than Mrs Scoobys and my health. Car can be replaced. I've spent enough time in hospital to know I don't wanna be in there just because I wouldn't give my keys up for a lump of metal parked outside my house.

Good on those of you who said you'd fight it mind, if we all rolled over then there really would be no justice at all would there ??

all above IMHO of course.

Steve
Old 24 January 2007, 01:38 PM
donnas roo
Scooby Regular

Got the house belled up, didn't stop the concrete post through the back door, hid the keys under a cushon didn't stop them coming with sawn offs, now i got razor blades and wire on the fence, lets see if that stops them.The sti is beeled to the limit as well as the anti-hijack.
Don't think there is a right and a wrong place to put the keys, as long as they don't come anyehere near my kids,
When they got mine i had tunnel vision {car only} all i wanted was my car back with me, six months down the line i now realise how lucky all four of us where and how no matter how much i love the car it's not as important as my lids safety.
My keys stay downstairs, and if they want them they can have them.

Last edited by donnas roo; 24 January 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 01:38 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

In answer to your question OP, I feel since owning my Scooby & fitting a house alarm it does feel safer, as I know when we are asleep apart from my dog protecting us the house is also protected by the alarm which I would hope would act as an early warning system to alert me that someone is breaking in possibly to steal my car keys, hopefully this will allow me to barracade the doors upstairs so they can find my keys which are left downstairs {my car is insured & replaceable} & leave without putting my wife, myself or my children in any danger.

I would have no second thoughts if someone broke into my house looking for the key in telling them where they are so they can leave, it has a tracker and other items of security on it so I doubt they would get very far anyway, but just far enough
Old 24 January 2007, 01:40 PM
weslad
Scooby Regular

apart from the really good security on the actual car , i always turn on my house alarm when i go to bed , its set up so only all the downstairs is alarmed , doors, windows, pressure pads ect ect , its got a master blaster attached to the normal siren it sounds like a bloody air raid and is loud enough that your neigbours would not be able to ignore it..................
Old 24 January 2007, 02:09 PM
Mr G.L.
Scooby Newbie

im in the opinion that if they really want the car, they will break in no matter what. before i had my kid, i was always one to keep the keys by my bed and was willing to fight to the end, but now, the thought of someone coming up stairs with my baby in the house, no-way.

they will not break in empty handed, and although i can handle myself very well, if they have a knife/gun i wouldn't even argue with them, simply take the keys and **** off

but agree, there is a lot of posting at the mo about cars being stolen and something does need to b done about it!!

AIMO
Old 24 January 2007, 05:07 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Discounts are only available on systems which have an annual maintenance contract AFAIK
Not quite true, My insurers had no problem, providing we had it installed by a qualified person then the discounts applied. As ours was a new build and the sparky we used also installs fire and house alarms, they were happy.

Saying that though, I'm not aware of any reglatory board that covers home alarms or there insulation. So what's to stop you instulling it yourself. It's not as if you can mess up installing a wireless system
Old 24 January 2007, 05:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Not quite true, My insurers had no problem, providing we had it installed by a qualified person then the discounts applied. As ours was a new build and the sparky we used also installs fire and house alarms, they were happy.

Saying that though, I'm not aware of any reglatory board that covers home alarms or there insulation. So what's to stop you instulling it yourself. It's not as if you can mess up installing a wireless system
NACOSS is the name of the regulatory board covering house alarm installations, you need to get a NACOSS approved installer to install your house alarm idealy then there is no arguments with insurance companies.
Old 24 January 2007, 07:26 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

or SSAIB afaik.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:05 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Blimey there all coming out of the woodwork
Old 24 January 2007, 08:27 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

My mums parents where dog loverly and loved English Bull Terrier. One of the ones that they had, when you walked into there house, the dog was fun, loverly and friendly, but you try and leave - that was a different story altogether.
Originally Posted by pslewis
One of these sat by the front door does wonders:-

Old 24 January 2007, 08:35 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Meet Kia:

Meet Zac:

My own personal Gaurdians of the scoob keys,if they got by these two they are welcome to take the car.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:47 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Guys, I'm new to the forum as have just bought my first Scooby. I just wanted to say that it is good to take all the security measures possible, but don't go telling people where you keep your keys etc etc......

There may well be some theives checking this post out and might give them ideas of places to look for keys etc....
Old 24 January 2007, 09:00 PM
Bockett
Scooby Regular

Would be a bit careful telling everyone where you keep your keys,Lol

I don't feel any safer knowing the house is Alarmed and that will stop the keys getting nicked. I do hide my keys which gives me peace of mind.

Bit of a subject close to home as i am a qualified security installer of Alarms, CCTV Gates etc etc. And knowing the house is on Par with fort Knox makes me feel safer when going to work but doesn't make a difference with the security of the car. The car has a good alarm and tracker and i think common sense by hiding the keys is the best bet.

Although my car is under CCTV surveillance which keeps my mind at rest. Even if the house is Armed all it takes is someone to brake in having a rough guess where keys are i.e. drawers table etc then off they go with it leaving alarm bells ringing.

My advice if you're really worried is definitely go for an alarm system for the house and CCTV for the car. Bear in mind wireless ones like in Argos when choosing. They do the job fine but how many people regularly change the batteries in them? And the outside bell is battery powered, big NO NO. i did state why but after proof reading changed my mind because it basically said the loophole in wireless systems and not clever posting that on a forum.

Hard wired is a good way to go but one thing to remember a hardwired system consists of a hardwired external bell. They too have a battery backup which can deteriorate after a while.
Sorry for jacking the thread its just so many people overlook home security yet the end of the day there's so much value to protect.

I'm more than happy to offer any advice free of charge of course for possible upgrades of system's battery replacement info and where and what battery to use. Feel free to PM me with questions on wireless systems and hard wired systems and any questions. I have an enormous range of literature for most systems and happy to advised you on how to perform regular tests etc so YOU can see how well it operates.

Also if you're really worried about the car then look at CCTV now that's another story, again PM me for any questions
Old 24 January 2007, 09:03 PM
Bockett
Scooby Regular

PS any questions email me

b.bockett@chrislewissecurityservices.co.uk
Chris Lewis Security Services
NACOSS Gold approved and SSAIB
Old 24 January 2007, 09:26 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bockett

I don't feel any safer knowing the house is Alarmed and that will stop the keys getting nicked. I do hide my keys which gives me peace of mind.

Bit of a subject close to home as i am a qualified security installer of Alarms, CCTV Gates etc etc. And knowing the house is on Par with fort Knox makes me feel safer when going to work but doesn't make a difference with the security of the car. The car has a good alarm and tracker and i think common sense by hiding the keys is the best bet.

Although my car is under CCTV surveillance which keeps my mind at rest. Even if the house is Armed all it takes is someone to brake in having a rough guess where keys are i.e. drawers table etc then off they go with it leaving alarm bells ringing.

My advice if you're really worried is definitely go for an alarm system for the house and CCTV for the car. Bear in mind wireless ones like in Argos when choosing. They do the job fine but how many people regularly change the batteries in them? And the outside bell is battery powered, big NO NO. i did state why but after proof reading changed my mind because it basically said the loophole in wireless systems and not clever posting that on a forum.

Hard wired is a good way to go but one thing to remember a hardwired system consists of a hardwired external bell. They too have a battery backup which can deteriorate after a while.
Sorry for jacking the thread its just so many people overlook home security yet the end of the day there's so much value to protect.

I'm more than happy to offer any advice free of charge of course for possible upgrades of system's battery replacement info and where and what battery to use. Feel free to PM me with questions on wireless systems and hard wired systems and any questions. I have an enormous range of literature for most systems and happy to advised you on how to perform regular tests etc so YOU can see how well it operates.

Also if you're really worried about the car then look at CCTV now that's another story, again PM me for any questions

Old 24 January 2007, 09:29 PM
Bockett
Scooby Regular

Just offering a service, lol
Old 24 January 2007, 10:08 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Just offering a service, lol
Carfull you'll have to pay a fee if your offering a service
Old 24 January 2007, 10:32 PM
Bockett
Scooby Regular

Oh. Ok impartial friendly advice
Old 24 January 2007, 10:47 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Again I am a qualified Electronic Security Engineer, but I have a slightly different view point.

I always advise domestic customers to do (depending on budget):-
1. Phyical security 1st. Locks etc. and put up a dummy bell box. Make it as difficult and time consuming as possible for somebody to get in. Prevention is better than cure.

2. Have a professional hard wired intruder alarm fitted (SSAIB or NSI approved installers). A Bells only system is as good as a police response system (in most cases) as a thief will only want to be in your house for a very short time and the polive won't respond in that time unless your very lucky.

3. Car Keys!!! (FLAME SUIT ON) 3 years ago I would have said Hide them..... NOT NOW. I go to to many break ins where violence has been threatened / happened, It is difficult to steal a modern car without keys, In my opionion it is better to lose a car than your life. If there is evidence of a crime / breakin to your premises your insurance company should pay out for your stolen car with car keys.

4. If your budget will stretch to it install CCTV, however, CCTV (in most cases) will not stop a crime it will only record the crime. Install 2 or more cameras, 1 to give an overall view of your drive (usually located in the eves) and 1 to specifically get a head shot of people on your property (normally located at arms reach height). A camera which shows a general area of 2 or more carparking spaces will not hold a lot of weight in court as you will not be able to clearly indentify an individual.

Zip
Old 24 January 2007, 11:42 PM
classic_sti
Scooby Regular

we only have a single drive with a main road in front of our house..my missis parks on our drive and next door hasnt got a car so he lets me park on his drive..ill tell him to keep a machete beside his bed just incase!
Old 25 January 2007, 12:00 AM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Again I am a qualified Electronic Security Engineer, but I have a slightly different view point.

I always advise domestic customers to do (depending on budget):-
1. Phyical security 1st. Locks etc. and put up a dummy bell box. Make it as difficult and time consuming as possible for somebody to get in. Prevention is better than cure.

2. Have a professional hard wired intruder alarm fitted (SSAIB or NSI approved installers). A Bells only system is as good as a police response system (in most cases) as a thief will only want to be in your house for a very short time and the polive won't respond in that time unless your very lucky.

3. Car Keys!!! (FLAME SUIT ON) 3 years ago I would have said Hide them..... NOT NOW. I go to to many break ins where violence has been threatened / happened, It is difficult to steal a modern car without keys, In my opionion it is better to lose a car than your life. If there is evidence of a crime / breakin to your premises your insurance company should pay out for your stolen car with car keys.

4. If your budget will stretch to it install CCTV, however, CCTV (in most cases) will not stop a crime it will only record the crime. Install 2 or more cameras, 1 to give an overall view of your drive (usually located in the eves) and 1 to specifically get a head shot of people on your property (normally located at arms reach height). A camera which shows a general area of 2 or more carparking spaces will not hold a lot of weight in court as you will not be able to clearly indentify an individual.

Zip
More good info guys keep it up,Im sure when i say this,the more secure we are...the more secure we are.

Quick Reply: Breaking in for keys?