Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI QUICK QUESTIONS???????????

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 06:14 PM
eves
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation STI QUICK QUESTIONS???????????

Hey all, i have recently purchased a 53 plate STI PPP, is it vital to get myself a turbo timer as it isnt allways practicle to sit in the vehicle for 5 mins after each run....

Also is it worth getting a dump/blow off valve? will it help in anyways or is the noise just a tad ghey now?? lol.......

cheers for ya help
Old 23 January 2007, 06:16 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Both a complete waste of money,hth
Old 23 January 2007, 06:27 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

not unless you drive like a nutter right up to you garage door..two minutes steady driving after a bit of spirited driving is sufficient,
Dump valves are personal choice
Old 23 January 2007, 06:28 PM
eves
Scooby Regular

right so if i ease off for about 5 mins keeping it bellow say 2k revs that should be sufficient??
Old 23 January 2007, 06:31 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Personally, I saw no need for a turbo timer, because mine wouldnt let me arm the car's alarm and lock the doors while it was on.

However, recently, I have invested in intellistart, and it lets me arm the alarm etc. and walk away, while the car is running. Very handy when your late for work etc. or just cant be bothered to sit in the vehicle while cooling it down. I drive steady for the last few minutes of my journey at all times, however, I still allow it to run for a minute or two when im done, to get fresh oil round. Might be overprotective but better safe than sorry!

The dumpvalve, its personal choice, I purchased a GFB Stealth from Scoobyclinic @ £245, its brilliant, you can change it from a long hiss noise, to the WRC chatter, and when your bored/annoyed, you can get rid of the sound completly. Its up to you once its on!
Old 23 January 2007, 06:33 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
not unless you drive like a nutter right up to you garage door..two minutes steady driving after a bit of spirited driving is sufficient,
Dump valves are personal choice

Spot on answer
Old 23 January 2007, 06:33 PM
eves
Scooby Regular

ooooh ^^^^ dumpvalve sounds good interesting, would love the WRC chatter sound!! how much was it for fitting

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2007, 06:34 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Blow off valve - No, don't bother. Won't give you anything other than a pstchhhh. To quote someone off here - and it always makes me grin "Just stick your head out of the window on each gear change and shout I'm a ****" lol.

Turbo timer - dunno. Would you feel safe leaving your car running and walking away. A low speed cruise through say a 30 zone is just as efficient to cool your car down after a blast as sitting at idle, probably better ?
Old 23 January 2007, 06:38 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eves
right so if i ease off for about 5 mins keeping it bellow say 2k revs that should be sufficient??
Below 2k is a bit low, just drive like you'd drive any normal car through a built up area (assuming you dont drive like a taxi driver I had recently !), you don't need to labour the engine
Old 23 January 2007, 07:31 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Steady driving for a short while and then a short idle, 30 secs to a minute, is what I do before shutting off.

VTA dump valve is a no no. For one all it will serve to do is impress school boys with that gay noise and secondly not do your engine any favours.

The MAF will have metered the air entering your engine and will allow the ECU to provide the correct amount of fuel. If you vent that air the ECU will not be aware of this and still squirt that fuel into the cylinder. It won't get burnt, slip past your piston rings and into your sump. It is known as 'bore wash'. The standard re-circ valve is fine for the job.
Old 24 January 2007, 09:58 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eves
ooooh ^^^^ dumpvalve sounds good interesting, would love the WRC chatter sound!! how much was it for fitting
The chattering isn't the dump valve working, it's the dump valve not working. It means that the pressure hasn't reached the DV's crack point and its remained shut. The air is backing up in the turbo and the chatter is the turbine blades 'chopping' the compressed air in the housing. WRC's achieve this with no dump valve (or an extremely high pressure one.. ?), but have replacement turbo's when needed and anti-lag. Some ppl do run without a dump valve at all for a permanent chirpy sound and there are threads on here if you search.

Fitting a DV is easy 10-20mins most, pleanty of posts on here for both classics and newage (newage is extremely easy)

This thread is a good read. Post #19 explains it particularly well

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...l-pschhhh.html
Old 24 January 2007, 10:22 AM
Untitled
Scooby Regular

Tis true what they say about dump valves, was considering one but then when it was pointed out that i was gonna be wasting £100-£200 on something just to hear a whoooosh noise, which can possibly mess up the MAF and engine running it makes sense to spend it somewhere else like styling or brakes.
But is you choice at the end of the day, there does seem to be a few posts on people buying them and then taking them off and selling them due to problems. worth doing a search and reading previous posts