Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and filter bargain service !!! check this out !!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2007, 04:35 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and filter bargain service !!! check this out !!

just thought i would do the turban thing (as i do ) and called some tyre dealers ....mconechies will do castrol fully synthetic 5/30 for 35 quid, ats will do shell helix for 35 quid and national will do you a semi synthetic viscose 10/40 for 21 quid inc filter etc and 30 quid for the subaru dealer spec'd full synthetic viscose 5/50 for 30 quid !! now if thats not cheap then christ knows what is !!!! think national tyres will be doing mine now !! Very Happy no waiting needed..just drive in and they will do it there and then !! ive used them before and always do you a deal and quick too !
Old 22 January 2007, 05:20 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Hmm, hope they pre-fill the filter and prime the oil system by cranking with the crank sensor disconnected.

Personally the only reason I'd let "mechanics" in tyre fitting places anywhere near my Scoob is to fit tyres. Even then I keep a close eye on what they're doing and check all the wheel nuts myself afterwards.
Old 22 January 2007, 05:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comma Semi-Synthetc is £15 for 5 Litres and it satisfies Subarus exacting standards .... a Subaru Oil Filter is £4:50.

So, an Oil change is £19:50 and 15 minutes Worth doing it every 3 months!!
Old 22 January 2007, 05:38 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Oh My god, I'm finding myself agreeing with PS lewis,

Do it yourself. Took me 20 minutes, not bad for a spanner numpty.

I paid £7.88 from a subaru dealer on saturday for a oil filter + Sump plug washer.

I'm not going to go into a debate regrding oil. But I paid £27.99 (Ebay) for 4 litres of motul 300v 15-50w (I already had some left over from last oil change to make up to 4.5 litres)
Old 22 January 2007, 05:59 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

agreed its easy to do but for 21 quid and clean hands then its a bargain....yes, do as you please but no denying its a good deal !!
Old 22 January 2007, 06:00 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Hmm, hope they pre-fill the filter and prime the oil system by cranking with the crank sensor disconnected.

Personally the only reason I'd let "mechanics" in tyre fitting places anywhere near my Scoob is to fit tyres. Even then I keep a close eye on what they're doing and check all the wheel nuts myself afterwards.
i understand the pre filling the filter but why crank over with sensor disconnected ????
Old 22 January 2007, 06:11 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
i understand the pre filling the filter but why crank over with sensor disconnected ????
Primes the oil system

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2007, 06:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Don't go there ............... PLEEEEEEEEZE

There are some ***** on here who disconnect the Crank Sensor and turn the engine over in the mistaken belief that it gets the oil around faster than just starting the friggin thing!!

Which, of course, to anyone who knows ANYTHING is utter, utter bollox!! Imagine the damage done by grinding away at cranking speed??

Just start the foookin thing and pressure gets up very quickly indeed

So, if you know nothing about cars - do as the ***** do, if it makes you feel better ........ those who know what they are doing laugh their socks off!!

One person on here declared that they actually pre-fill the filter - which we all would applaud - BUT, they soaked it overnight ..... visiting it in the garage every 30 minutes to add some more Oil !!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not!!!!

That kind of person is certifiable!!

Primes the system my ****!! Starting the thing does THAT!!
Old 22 January 2007, 06:24 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

thats hilarious and very sad indeed i asked a scooby mechanic and he said " do what ???? why ??? thats pish and there is no need " so i will watch them and as long as they prefill the filter and fill to the right level then it will be fine. after all...not 100% of the engines oil is removed anyway(so will still be lubed to a degree) as you would have to strip the bloody thing down !!
Old 22 January 2007, 06:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

thats hilarious and very sad indeed i asked a scooby mechanic and he said " do what ???? why ??? thats pish and there is no need " so i will watch them and as long as they prefill the filter and fill to the right level then it will be fine. after all...not 100% of the engines oil is removed anyway(so will still be lubed to a degree) as you would have to strip the bloody thing down !!
I know that ....

You know that ....

Mechanics know that ....

Engineers know that ....

The ***** on here seem to think the Impreza engine is ever-so-special and needs ever-so-special treatment

The same thing is at work when people buy CockLinks - they simply haven't a clue

Bless 'em eh??
Old 22 January 2007, 06:39 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

oh dear !!
Old 22 January 2007, 08:07 PM
JIZZLOBBER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Oh My god, I'm finding myself agreeing with PS lewis,

Do it yourself. Took me 20 minutes, not bad for a spanner numpty.

I paid £7.88 from a subaru dealer on saturday for a oil filter + Sump plug washer.

I'm not going to go into a debate regrding oil. But I paid £27.99 (Ebay) for 4 litres of motul 300v 15-50w (I already had some left over from last oil change to make up to 4.5 litres)
your lucky to get a filter from your local subaru dealer,i went last friday to my local dealer in chesterfield(triangle)to get one and i was informed that there invoice policy has changed to a £10 minimum and because the filter doesent cost £10 he couldnt sell me one then he says why dont i buy 2 i walked away swearing under my breath.
They should hang a sign outside saying scoobyclinic this way.
Old 22 January 2007, 08:31 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Don't go there ............... PLEEEEEEEEZE

There are some ***** on here who disconnect the Crank Sensor and turn the engine over in the mistaken belief that it gets the oil around faster than just starting the friggin thing!!
Wasn't there a memo to all SUBARU dealers reminding all mechanics to disconnect the crank sensor as part of the oil change procedure ...& wasn't a scan of said memo posted on here somewhere?
Old 22 January 2007, 08:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

oooo!! The plot thickens. Now that I want to see!
Old 22 January 2007, 08:56 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIZZLOBBER
your lucky to get a filter from your local subaru dealer,i went last friday to my local dealer in chesterfield(triangle)to get one and i was informed that there invoice policy has changed to a £10 minimum and because the filter doesent cost £10 he couldnt sell me one then he says why dont i buy 2 i walked away swearing under my breath.
Whats the world coming to??? When you can't buy something they have in stock?

There are loads of car bits that cost less than £10: Bulbs, trims, filters, switches, washers etc

What a way to drive customers away
Old 22 January 2007, 09:50 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIZZLOBBER
That's our "Service" Economy for you. "We value your custom".
Laugh or cry?
Old 22 January 2007, 11:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Wasn't there a memo to all SUBARU dealers reminding all mechanics to disconnect the crank sensor as part of the oil change procedure ...& wasn't a scan of said memo posted on here somewhere?
Urban Myth my friend - Urban Myth!!

Please feel free to ring up ANY Subaru Main Dealer and ask them if they do it - they will laugh at you ....... they'll do it if you want them to (that will be another £30 please you **** **** is what they will say!!)
Old 22 January 2007, 11:41 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Please feel free to ring up ANY Subaru Main Dealer and ask them if they do it - they will laugh at you ....... they'll do it if you want them to (that will be another £30 please you **** **** is what they will say!!)

Old 23 January 2007, 12:28 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

iirc it was an actual TSB sent out by Subaru ...was a fair few years ago though, possibly 99/00 & possibly even before SDB was running the board! ...I only remember because that's when I was first looking at possibly purchasing & there were big threads on here & 22B about No 3 piston letting go & the various theories that were being banded about. I seem to remember the poster being from a dealership & that's how he got hold of it ...looked genuine to me & he also had the TSB warning about over filling.

Im sure ive got the link backed up somewhere ...ill try & dig it out
Old 23 January 2007, 12:31 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

The subaru engine is not something thats from out of space and requires special treatment whereas any other engine will be ok whatever. Drain it..Change it..Fill it..Start it ....job done
Old 23 January 2007, 12:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've not seen a Subaru Main Dealer fart about with the poxy Crank Sensor.

Over-filling, yes, known issue.

Pre-filling of the Oil Filter is my **** action and I will continue doing it ..... but, crank sensor removal?? Nah, complete and utter bollox rolled out by the ***** who meet once a month with their only mates in the small corner of a real ale pub.

They play WarCraft games too (so, you KNOW what you are dealing with, don't you?) these people talk about Pixies and Goblins ................. you are SURELY not going to take them seriously??
Old 23 January 2007, 12:39 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Easy to get the undertray off or don't you need to do that?

My filter was a fiver plus VAT and 85p plus VAT from Ian Grieve Subaru on the weekend. Got an air filter too. Old one (a claimed 3500 mile in the job) was black as so i want to do the oil as i think someone might have been robbed on the servicing before me...

Also bought a load liner and step protector. amazed they had all the items in stock.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Take the undertray off (this is actually the worst part of the job!!)
Old 23 January 2007, 12:43 PM
Kerfuffle
Scooby Newbie

Imagine the damage done by grinding away at cranking speed??

Primes the system my ****!! Starting the thing does THAT!!
This is common sense if people actually think about it. Turning over the car at such a low speed is A VERY BAD IDEA. Just start it and get the oil flowing. Cranking will only knacker your engine over time.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kerfuffle
This is common sense if people actually think about it. Turning over the car at such a low speed is A VERY BAD IDEA. Just start it and get the oil flowing. Cranking will only knacker your engine over time.
I have been banging on about this for years ....... you know, I know - try telling the ***** on here though!!

AS more and more 'normal' people start owning Imprezas we get a better mix of posters ........ the people who have common sense start to out number those who are anally retentive - which is GREAT!

A breath of fresh air blows through ScoobyNet .........................