Sponsored by:

Removing resonator

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2007, 04:33 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing resonator

Before my car goes in for it's remap i was thinking of removing the resonator in the centre secttion of the exhaust, not so much for more noise (it's quite loud as it is with the Afterburner backbox) but more in the hope that it will help with the spool up of the turbo.

I noticed the car seemed to be a little bit less laggy when i replaced the Prodrive backbox with the afterburner and was hoping doing the same with a Afterburner unresonated centre section would do the same ??

Anyone done anything similiar ?? And if so what was the results ??

Car is a 2003 STi PPP.

Cheers guys
Old 18 January 2007, 07:33 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Anyone ?
Old 18 January 2007, 08:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mate, I changed the resonated centre for a H&S de-res one on MY03 WRXPPP . The resulting benefits were superb. I can't claim spool or lag benefits but it rev'd so much easier pulled better and mean't 2nd gear pull off was a breeze. The way I would descibe it is smooth, no more lump in the grunt ! About the noise, it did get louder but since the remap with Zak and the Sports cat DP etc it has got quieter which I attribute to the exhaust system working more efficiently, so its useful noise rather than a gobby new BB effect, if you know what I mean ? Dave68 had his New Age STi de-resonated so it might be worth a PM to see what his experiences are.

I would say yes, do it
Old 18 January 2007, 09:44 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Hi mate, I changed the resonated centre for a H&S de-res one on MY03 WRXPPP . The resulting benefits were superb. I can't claim spool or lag benefits but it rev'd so much easier pulled better and mean't 2nd gear pull off was a breeze. The way I would descibe it is smooth, no more lump in the grunt ! About the noise, it did get louder but since the remap with Zak and the Sports cat DP etc it has got quieter which I attribute to the exhaust system working more efficiently, so its useful noise rather than a gobby new BB effect, if you know what I mean ? Dave68 had his New Age STi de-resonated so it might be worth a PM to see what his experiences are.

I would say yes, do it
Nice one M8 And seeing as it's on it's way to see Zak soon as well, i recon i'll get the resonator on order
Old 18 January 2007, 10:03 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

A word of warning! I have a 51 plate bugeye wrx that has a full after burner decat but still had the resonated section. I went to get the car mapped with andy f and the car wasnt making the boost figures that he thought it would achieve and thought that maybe it was the resonated section that was holding the car back slightly. I had this removed and the car made the figures but now the exhaust is louder than you can imagine so i am now looking for a bung for my afterburner backbox.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:09 AM
Scooby Senior

B0DSKI I posted this up last year and it has the PDrive BB resonated centre setup and the H&S BB and de-res set up.

HS.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 19 January 2007, 07:30 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
B0DSKI I posted this up last year and it has the PDrive BB resonated centre setup and the H&S BB and de-res set up.

HS.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sounding sweet on the second setup M8 Do you find you get more pops and bangs without the resonator in place ??

I ordered the Afterburner centre section last night so that should be here soon, i'm gonna give Zak a ring today if i get chance and get booked in for my remap, whats the best number to ring him on the workshop one or the office one ??
Old 19 January 2007, 09:36 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Sounding sweet on the second setup M8 Do you find you get more pops and bangs without the resonator in place ??

I ordered the Afterburner centre section last night so that should be here soon, i'm gonna give Zak a ring today if i get chance and get booked in for my remap, whats the best number to ring him on the workshop one or the office one ??
Not significantly, but if you rev it out of gear it pops back down to idle.

Zaks no. Pm'd
Old 19 January 2007, 10:42 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stu