Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic to Bugeye Prodrive - opinions on differences?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2007, 01:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Classic to Bugeye Prodrive - opinions on differences?

Trying to get rid of my Classic and have spotted a black bugeye Prodrive local to me.

Anyone changed from classic to bugeye and more importantly the prodrive bug?

Are you happy with the choice etc. Just want some feedback preferably from those that had classics before.

Don't care if its a bit minging, can't see it from the drivers seat

Many thanks
Old 18 January 2007, 01:16 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a bugeye WRX wagon and I currently have a classic STi v4. The bug wins hands down in terms of quality of interior materials, ride refinement and the confidence provided by the chassis. Indeed, I think the bug (and most definitely the blob saloon that I’ve also owned) handle better than the classic. Hitting bumps mid corner was just soaked up without any fuss in the later cars. The classic can sometimes raise the hair a little in its lack of predictability in comparison. I would say the loss in performance going from classic to bug will be noticeable. For me going from bug WRX to classic STi, it was like chalk and cheese. Hope this helps.
Old 18 January 2007, 01:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by EddScott
Trying to get rid of my Classic and have spotted a black bugeye Prodrive local to me.

Anyone changed from classic to bugeye and more importantly the prodrive bug?

Are you happy with the choice etc. Just want some feedback preferably from those that had classics before.

Don't care if its a bit minging, can't see it from the drivers seat

Many thanks
Edd, if it's any help, I've driven a Classic (std) and blob eye (std) back to back.

The latter felt considerably more refined and smoother; very comfortable in fact. The extra weight was obvious though, subjectively if felt quite a bit slower than the classic (the objective difference is probably a bit smaller than the subjective one though). However, since the one you're looking at has the prodrive pack, you'll probably find it feels more rather more potent than the classic (assuming yours is std).

Address the weight issue by upping the power and I don't see how anyone would be dissapointed by the move (as long as you son't mind not wanting to admire it from the outside anymore).

Ns04
Old 18 January 2007, 01:26 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

LOL. They've grown on me over the years. More so than blobs.

Its an 02 STI Prodrive Edition with PPP in black. I got to admit Im not bothered if its a bit slower - I barely use mine to its fullest. Just want something a little better built, a bit younger and a bit special (think only 100 in black).
Old 18 January 2007, 01:55 PM
New_scooby_04

LOL. They've grown on me over the years. More so than blobs.

Its an 02 STI Prodrive Edition with PPP in black. I got to admit Im not bothered if its a bit slower - I barely use mine to its fullest. Just want something a little better built, a bit younger and a bit special (think only 100 in black).

Ah, right, so you're moving from a std classic to an STi PPP.

In that case, the latter will feel (and be) noticeably quicker.

Ns04
Old 18 January 2007, 02:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Ah, right, so you're moving from a std classic to an STi PPP.

In that case, the latter will feel (and be) noticeably quicker.

Ns04
Its a TEK'd classic but nonetheless the bug should be quicker. I've sat on the rear bumper of a non-PPP blob STI before now.
Old 18 January 2007, 03:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Its a TEK'd classic but nonetheless the bug should be quicker. I've sat on the rear bumper of a non-PPP blob STI before now.

If you're about 270ish bhp and similar torque with the TD04. The STi will feel quite a lot quicker on boost owing to the bigger turbo, wilder cams, shorter gear ratios etc... When these cars some on boost you know about it! Whereas with the remapped TD04s the power is just "always there" and doesn't come in with the same violence. However, the actual difference will probably not be as big as the subjective difference: a remapped classic has a very respectable power to weight ratio and a nice wide power band.

You could always do what I did and have a bigger turbo and supporting mods fitted and take your classic up to 320bhp

Ns04
Old 18 January 2007, 03:59 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I went from a classic sti4 to a jdm bugeye sti, both on stabdard maps but with exhaust and filter. It took a bit of getting used to, 6 gears, better brakes, wider track and more weight. It felt slow at first because it has a slower spooling turbo but once going had more of a kick. The sti4 would have been quicker off the mark.

The bugeye is more comfortable, particularly on a long journey, feels more stable on the road and stops a lot better. It handles better but you can feel the weight difference, although I found the sti4 was less stable and you noticed a slight change of direction more than in the bugeye, the bugeye seems to take more in it's stride.

I loved the sti4 when I had it but would not go back now. Things have moved on a bit with the bugeye since I got it, and as a result it is quite a bit more responsive, and I don't think the sti4 would be quicker off the mark now.

The newage cars have a lot more potential out of the box than the classics. I don't think you'd look back if you went for it. Also, if it's a PPP then you could have it remapped and get even more out of it. It would already have a decent exhaust and fuel pump so no extras should be needed.