Newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 09:36 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie...

Hi all,

Ive just registered to the forum, looks very good and informative. Currently driving a Focus RS, but this has to go as im getting a house with the missus. So thinking of getting a cheapish scoob (oprobably around 6k to spend). Just one quick question, im only 20, so is it possible to insure a Scooby at my age?? It will probably be just a Turbo 2000 model, or maybe an STi.

Cheers
Old 15 January 2007, 02:05 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Possibly, you wont be the youngest impreza owner, but it can be pricey, make sure it has a cat1 alarm, tracker, if it will be kept in a lockable garage then that could bring the price down a little cheaper for you, I'd do some insurance quotes first just to see what they come up with before you go get your scoob.
Old 15 January 2007, 02:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

heres a tip... if you go for a uk turbo www.ecarinsurance.co.uk may give you a competitive quote. im in very similar circumstances to you, ie i got my house when i was 20, and i drive a scoob etc. i passed my test not 10 months ago, and when i got my 3rd scoob (current uk turbo) ecar, were without doubt the best priced by far.

afaik, they only do uk scoobs, but everywhere else wanted £3-3.5k fully comp, however ecar did me for £1750, which is bloody miraculous considering my circumstances. everything i require is covered, i get inc legal expences, free uk breakdown cover et al.

i really would try them, being a homeowner so young, and having a partner/sensible job does do wonders, rather than say a 22 year old single male living with mates or parents... i think thats what the insurance companies look for.

there are some insureres on here. tony @ greenlight, moley wrx of keith micheals, andythejock01wrx to name a few. look around get a good list of prices, but i personally would try get insured on a uk turbo for a while first, i wont even venture for an sti lol, especially with a mortgage to pay and debts loans etc etc.

good luck and welcome anyways

andy
Old 15 January 2007, 02:37 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

You might think you're trading down, but don't be worried

More than just checking for insurance, if you are going ahead make sure you get your research done. I got rid of a company car 3 years ago - Focus as it happens and got a £6500 Scoob.

I didn't give myself enough time and ended up with a 97 UK model, which is a bit of an inbetween model. ECU can't be remapped, interior is just before it got better and brakes are small.

99 onwards would be the way to go.

Mine had 4 previous owners FSH and 70K on the clock. Now has 122K on it and it's never missed a beat.

Best of luck
Old 15 January 2007, 02:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
You might think you're trading down, but don't be worried

More than just checking for insurance, if you are going ahead make sure you get your research done. I got rid of a company car 3 years ago - Focus as it happens and got a £6500 Scoob.

I didn't give myself enough time and ended up with a 97 UK model, which is a bit of an inbetween model. ECU can't be remapped, interior is just before it got better and brakes are small.

99 onwards would be the way to go.

Mine had 4 previous owners FSH and 70K on the clock. Now has 122K on it and it's never missed a beat.

Best of luck
ditto im the 5th owner on my 99 uk turbo. get the extra bhp of the facelift, the newer bumber etc and interior, a remappable ecu, and sexy red paint lol. mines dont 122k miles now, but had a rebuild at 70k. never misses a beat either, only has a boost problem now, which doesnt bother me much, as im waiting for a compo claim to come in and fund a remap/decat anyways lol.

good ****

my99 onwards. do it do it.
Old 15 January 2007, 03:58 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I'm just about to buy a UK turbo, its 99 on a T will this be the later model? (its got a Momo steering wheel and 4 pot calipers..)

cheers
Old 15 January 2007, 04:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
I'm just about to buy a UK turbo, its 99 on a T will this be the later model? (its got a Momo steering wheel and 4 pot calipers..)

cheers
yes and yes. mine has the momo wheel, and driver/passenger airbags, 295mm front discs/4 pot calipers and its on a 99 t-plate.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:44 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

cheers for the fast reply.. I'm paying 4k for a clean example with 73k on the clock, does that sound about right? (no modifications btw)
Old 15 January 2007, 04:47 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

cheers for the fast reply.. I'm paying 4k for a clean example with 73k on the clock, does that sound about right (no modifications btw)
your paying 4k for a my99 uk turbo with 73k on the clock?

either the guys after a quick sale or theres something wrong with the car. h.p.i. it and then have a mechanic mate look over it. does it have service history, reciepts for any work done.

spec?

it seems a low price especially for one with only 73k miles. mines done 122k miles and cost me £3800, but only as the gentleman was after a quick sale, and its had a new short block, turbo bla bla at 70k too.

if its a genuine sale, well done you may have a bargain, but be careful at this price. any piccies?????

andy
Old 15 January 2007, 04:53 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
your paying 4k for a my99 uk turbo with 73k on the clock?

either the guys after a quick sale or theres something wrong with the car. h.p.i. it and then have a mechanic mate look over it. does it have service history, reciepts for any work done.

spec?

it seems a low price especially for one with only 73k miles. mines done 122k miles and cost me £3800, but only as the gentleman was after a quick sale, and its had a new short block, turbo bla bla at 70k too.

if its a genuine sale, well done you may have a bargain, but be careful at this price. any piccies?????

andy
I've HPI'd it and its clear.. it needs a service and a cambelt fairly soon and the passenger side could do with painting at some point due to a scratch on the NSR door being scratched.

its got Full Subaru history and a book full of receipts.. 2 owners from new.

its standard apart from an STI back box

the guy is looking for a fairly quick sale as he is going in the armed forces soon.

let me know what you think.. picking it up tomorrow or wednesday

(click the pics for a bigger version)

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 15 January 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 15 January 2007, 05:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

fair does mate, as you said needs a tiny bit of tlc, but besides that, clean motor. sti backbox, get rid of it, i have it and its sooo quiet, you think your in a mondeo or something.

piccies arent enlarging when clicky on them...

andy
Old 15 January 2007, 07:28 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

fair does mate, as you said needs a tiny bit of tlc, but besides that, clean motor. sti backbox, get rid of it, i have it and its sooo quiet, you think your in a mondeo or something.

piccies arent enlarging when clicky on them...

andy
here's some bigger pics:

a mechanic mate is going to come along with me on wednesday hopefully for a final look before I part with my hard earned
Old 15 January 2007, 09:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

looks like you got yourself a winter bargain young man cars are alwaysd cheaper this time of year, just like soft tops are always worth more in summer

enjoy.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:52 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

looks like you got yourself a winter bargain young man cars are always cheaper this time of year, just like soft tops are always worth more in summer

enjoy.
I certainly hope so.. thanks for the help.
Old 16 January 2007, 06:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I certainly hope so.. thanks for the help.

no worries, just watch out for the trolls who will demean your every move/modification/haircut/underpant change etc.

there is plenty of good advice and people on here, just pass the riff raff.
Old 16 January 2007, 06:58 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Welcome, enjoy the car mate
Old 16 January 2007, 08:47 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

no worries, just watch out for the trolls who will demean your every move/modification/haircut/underpant change etc.

there is plenty of good advice and people on here, just pass the riff raff.
I spend a lot of time on Barryboys so trolls don't worry me and besides the car is staying standard (for the time being )

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 16 January 2007 at 09:46 AM.