ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Newbie... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/574396-newbie.html)

steve0 15 January 2007 09:36 AM

Newbie...

Hi all,

Ive just registered to the forum, looks very good and informative. Currently driving a Focus RS, but this has to go as im getting a house with the missus. So thinking of getting a cheapish scoob (oprobably around 6k to spend). Just one quick question, im only 20, so is it possible to insure a Scooby at my age?? It will probably be just a Turbo 2000 model, or maybe an STi.

Cheers

Russ71 15 January 2007 02:05 PM

Possibly, you wont be the youngest impreza owner, but it can be pricey, make sure it has a cat1 alarm, tracker, if it will be kept in a lockable garage then that could bring the price down a little cheaper for you, I'd do some insurance quotes first just to see what they come up with before you go get your scoob. :thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 02:25 PM

heres a tip... if you go for a uk turbo www.ecarinsurance.co.uk may give you a competitive quote. im in very similar circumstances to you, ie i got my house when i was 20, and i drive a scoob etc. i passed my test not 10 months ago, and when i got my 3rd scoob (current uk turbo) ecar, were without doubt the best priced by far.

afaik, they only do uk scoobs, but everywhere else wanted £3-3.5k fully comp, however ecar did me for £1750, which is bloody miraculous considering my circumstances. everything i require is covered, i get inc legal expences, free uk breakdown cover et al.

i really would try them, being a homeowner so young, and having a partner/sensible job does do wonders, rather than say a 22 year old single male living with mates or parents... i think thats what the insurance companies look for.

there are some insureres on here. tony @ greenlight, moley wrx of keith micheals, andythejock01wrx to name a few. look around get a good list of prices, but i personally would try get insured on a uk turbo for a while first, i wont even venture for an sti lol, especially with a mortgage to pay and debts loans etc etc.

good luck and welcome anyways:thumb:

andy

ClintUK 15 January 2007 02:37 PM

You might think you're trading down, but don't be worried :)

More than just checking for insurance, if you are going ahead make sure you get your research done. I got rid of a company car 3 years ago - Focus as it happens and got a £6500 Scoob.

I didn't give myself enough time and ended up with a 97 UK model, which is a bit of an inbetween model. ECU can't be remapped, interior is just before it got better and brakes are small.

99 onwards would be the way to go.

Mine had 4 previous owners FSH and 70K on the clock. Now has 122K on it and it's never missed a beat. :luxhello:

Best of luck

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ClintUK (Post 6550718)
You might think you're trading down, but don't be worried :)

More than just checking for insurance, if you are going ahead make sure you get your research done. I got rid of a company car 3 years ago - Focus as it happens and got a £6500 Scoob.

I didn't give myself enough time and ended up with a 97 UK model, which is a bit of an inbetween model. ECU can't be remapped, interior is just before it got better and brakes are small.

99 onwards would be the way to go.

Mine had 4 previous owners FSH and 70K on the clock. Now has 122K on it and it's never missed a beat. :luxhello:

Best of luck

ditto im the 5th owner on my 99 uk turbo. get the extra bhp of the facelift, the newer bumber etc and interior, a remappable ecu, and sexy red paint lol. mines dont 122k miles now, but had a rebuild at 70k. never misses a beat either, only has a boost problem now, which doesnt bother me much, as im waiting for a compo claim to come in and fund a remap/decat anyways lol.

good ****

my99 onwards. do it do it.

DJ_Jon 15 January 2007 03:58 PM

I'm just about to buy a UK turbo, its 99 on a T will this be the later model? (its got a Momo steering wheel and 4 pot calipers..)

cheers

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 6551054)
I'm just about to buy a UK turbo, its 99 on a T will this be the later model? (its got a Momo steering wheel and 4 pot calipers..)

cheers

yes and yes. mine has the momo wheel, and driver/passenger airbags, 295mm front discs/4 pot calipers and its on a 99 t-plate.

DJ_Jon 15 January 2007 04:44 PM

cheers for the fast reply.. I'm paying 4k for a clean example with 73k on the clock, does that sound about right? (no modifications btw)

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 6551200)
cheers for the fast reply.. I'm paying 4k for a clean example with 73k on the clock, does that sound about right (no modifications btw)

your paying 4k for a my99 uk turbo with 73k on the clock?

either the guys after a quick sale or theres something wrong with the car. h.p.i. it and then have a mechanic mate look over it. does it have service history, reciepts for any work done.

spec?

it seems a low price especially for one with only 73k miles. mines done 122k miles and cost me £3800, but only as the gentleman was after a quick sale, and its had a new short block, turbo bla bla at 70k too.

if its a genuine sale, well done you may have a bargain, but be careful at this price. any piccies?????

andy

DJ_Jon 15 January 2007 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 6551216)
your paying 4k for a my99 uk turbo with 73k on the clock?

either the guys after a quick sale or theres something wrong with the car. h.p.i. it and then have a mechanic mate look over it. does it have service history, reciepts for any work done.

spec?

it seems a low price especially for one with only 73k miles. mines done 122k miles and cost me £3800, but only as the gentleman was after a quick sale, and its had a new short block, turbo bla bla at 70k too.

if its a genuine sale, well done you may have a bargain, but be careful at this price. any piccies?????

andy

I've HPI'd it and its clear.. it needs a service and a cambelt fairly soon and the passenger side could do with painting at some point due to a scratch on the NSR door being scratched.

its got Full Subaru history and a book full of receipts.. 2 owners from new.

its standard apart from an STI back box

the guy is looking for a fairly quick sale as he is going in the armed forces soon.

let me know what you think.. picking it up tomorrow or wednesday

(click the pics for a bigger version)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-1t.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-3t.jpg

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 05:05 PM

fair does mate, as you said needs a tiny bit of tlc, but besides that, clean motor. sti backbox, get rid of it, i have it and its sooo quiet, you think your in a mondeo or something.

piccies arent enlarging when clicky on them...

andy:)

DJ_Jon 15 January 2007 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 6551317)
fair does mate, as you said needs a tiny bit of tlc, but besides that, clean motor. sti backbox, get rid of it, i have it and its sooo quiet, you think your in a mondeo or something.

piccies arent enlarging when clicky on them...

andy:)

here's some bigger pics:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-1.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-2.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-3.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/121520-4.jpg

a mechanic mate is going to come along with me on wednesday hopefully for a final look before I part with my hard earned

chocolate_o_brian 15 January 2007 09:23 PM

looks like you got yourself a winter bargain young man:) cars are alwaysd cheaper this time of year, just like soft tops are always worth more in summer:lol1:

enjoy.

DJ_Jon 15 January 2007 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 6552296)
looks like you got yourself a winter bargain young man:) cars are always cheaper this time of year, just like soft tops are always worth more in summer:lol1:

enjoy.

I certainly hope so.. thanks for the help.

chocolate_o_brian 16 January 2007 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 6552781)
I certainly hope so.. thanks for the help.

no worries, just watch out for the trolls who will demean your every move/modification/haircut/underpant change etc.

there is plenty of good advice and people on here, just pass the riff raff.

cookstar 16 January 2007 06:58 AM

Welcome, enjoy the car mate :thumb:

DJ_Jon 16 January 2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 6553168)
no worries, just watch out for the trolls who will demean your every move/modification/haircut/underpant change etc.

there is plenty of good advice and people on here, just pass the riff raff.

I spend a lot of time on Barryboys so trolls don't worry me and besides the car is staying standard (for the time being :norty: )