Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading speakers(2 ohm impedace any good) ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2007, 04:02 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading speakers(2 ohm impedace any good) ?

Sorry for posting it under the "general", but the ICE section has little viewers usually.
I am currently in the process of updating the speakers in my sti in the front and rear, and I have a question related to the impedance of the speakers.
For the front I have 2 nice Infinities(6500 cs) - with spacers(made by me following Chiark's excellent faq), these speakers having 4 ohm impedance. In the rear I got some JBL GTO 527 speakers, but these have 2 ohm impedance.

Can anyone advice me on this setup ? Would this work with the standard subaru ice, or the jbls would drain too much power ? if they drain too much, would a solution be to put a 2 ohm resistor on the speaker, or this would effect the performance ?

I was looking for fitting 6x9's in the back, but dropped the idea, as they do not seem straight forward(at least for me). So decided to go on the route of front/rear quality speakers and in the next stage possibly to fit an amp and subwoofer.

Please advice on this.
Old 14 January 2007, 05:22 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

2 ohms is abit too low for a 4 ohm impedance output amp, however you could wire the speakers in series to make it up to 4 ohms. Putting a 2 ohm resistor in series in theory is possible, however in practice you will need a huge wattage resistor to dissipate the heat and the lost power through the resistor will reduce the effciency of the speaker.

Rule is always match the impedance of the speakers to the output impeadance of the amp. To ensure your speakers can cope with the amplifier power buy speakers with double the power rating of the amp. eg amp has 100 watts per channel, speakers should be rated at 200 watts each.

Andy
Old 14 January 2007, 06:21 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

I don't have amp at the moment just the standard ice. I'll put an amp in the future, but not now(financing went on the car )

So I take it the best thing is then to get instead of the JBLs some other speakers with 4 ohms impedance.

Thx for the advice
Old 14 January 2007, 06:35 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

use a seperate amp for the rear speakers, most will sustain a 2ohm load no trouble. a small cheap one should do the job.